Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

for the Depeche Mode fans

Go down 
+2
Troublezone
SAHB Healer
6 posters
AuthorMessage

for the Depeche Mode fans Empty
PostSubject: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 8:20 pm

I realize there are several of us here. What are your favorite albums?

Let's discuss this band.

By the way - I recently finished reading a 500 page Depeche Mode biography and I found something very interesting. Did you know that when Depeche Mode first started back in the late 70s, there wasn't much of a blueprint to go by with synthpop, so Depeche Mode used metal chords and put them to the keyboard? It's true! Their first album, "Speak and Spell", though there is no guitar - has metal chord keyboard riffs!

NO WONDER WHY I LIKE THEM!

:lol!:

Anyway - this band has become one of my favorites. I like all their albums, but my favorites would be:

1. Violator
2. Playing the Angel
3. Black Celebration
4. Some Great Reward
5. Construction Time Again
6. Speak and Spell
7. Music for the Masses
8. A Broken Frame
9. Ultra
10. Exciter
11. Songs of Faith and Devotion

actually I listed them all because they are all favorites! There's not one I don't like.

I know this might be considered 'tabboo' by talking about a synthpop band here on a metal board, but this forum is for 'everything not metal' right?

What are your favorite Depeche Mode albums? Let's discuss this band from Basildon, England.

*goes and plays some metal*
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 2:35 am

Black Celebration. Best song is "Princess Di is Wearing a New Dress". Did I just admit to that? fainting

So much for my Butch act....
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 6:34 am

Violator is cool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 11:24 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
Black Celebration. Best song is "Princess Di is Wearing a New Dress". Did I just admit to that? fainting

So much for my Butch act....

Laughing very hard

My favorite song in "Black Celebration" is also New Dress! Great song!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 6:14 pm

My favorites are Some Great Reward, Music for the Masses and Violator. But my fav Depeche song, "Shake the Disease" isn't on any of those. It's on a compilation from the mid-80s called Catching Up with Depeche Mode, which also has another non-album song called "It's Called A Heart" which is pretty cool too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 7:59 pm

Yeah! Good call on those two songs Decapitate! Only die hard Depeche Mode fans know of them!!! Hahaha!

By the way, have you ever read the biography called "Stripped, the True Story of Depeche Mode"? It's very good!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 11:56 pm

blackieboy wrote:
Yeah! Good call on those two songs Decapitate! Only die hard Depeche Mode fans know of them!!! Hahaha!

By the way, have you ever read the biography called "Stripped, the True Story of Depeche Mode"? It's very good!

Nope, but I guess I should!

This thread has encouraged me to play a bit of Depeche tonight. Haven't sat down and listened to them in a while.

Now listening to "But Not Tonight" (a beautiful, emotional song.) <<<it had a video to accompany it for the Daphne Zuniga movie Modern Girls.

more trivia: another fav Depeche song of mine, "Photograph," plays during the opening credits to the schlocky slasher flick, The Last Horror Film. Cool
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 1:58 pm

i saw them live on holiday in spain last summer and they were absolutley amazingly good i say almost as good as metallica
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 5:09 pm

I agree! They are one of the best bands I've ever seen live! They really know how to perform! Dave Gahan is very gifted with the crowds.

It's also amazing to me how he (Dave) overcame his heroine addiction. Not many artists live to tell about that. He actually was dead at one point (much like Nikki Sixx).
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 2:27 am

I've been a fan since High Scool. So many of my friends made me like them. I think there is some really good material waiting to be turned into dark metal songs. I think Violator is still their best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 1:41 pm

GrandNational wrote:
I've been a fan since High Scool. So many of my friends made me like them. I think there is some really good material waiting to be turned into dark metal songs. I think Violator is still their best.

I completely agree! At first I hated Depeche Mode in high school as I hung with the 'thrashers' and we had a crappy 'elitist' mentality that kept us from liking a lot of good stuff. I'm glad I overcame that obstacle though.

"Violator" is my favorite album as well, though I like them all.

It's interesting as of late. Perhaps because Depeche Mode has really proven they are legitimate, but a lot of metal bands are now starting to cover their songs. Lacuna Coil does an outstanding job of covering "Enjoy the Silence" on their latest album. Also Rammstein (industrial metal) covered "Stripped" and it was excellent!

Depeche Mode's song really go well with metal, because they were always dark in their nature of writing. So many people used to view Depeche Mode as a cookie-cutter pop band, but this was never true.

DM was as true to their electronic music as the best metal bands were true to metal. It really is quite a similar mentality.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 11:31 am

Violator is a good album

Personal Jesus
Halo
Enjoy the Silence
Policy of Truth

ALL GREAT TUNES
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 1:28 pm

I'm a casual fan so I have not really heard a whole album from them, just singles. However, Enjoy The Silence is one of my favortie songs of all time. Funny anticdote, my mom's husband thought it was a queer song and ridiculed me about it. He thought that "All I ever wanted, all I ever needed is here in my arms" was "him in my arms". I had great satisfaction in showing him how wrong he was (back then I didn't like the guy very much).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 4:05 pm

lol!

Yeah, it's funny - a lot of those 80s synthpop/darkwave bands were tagged as gay. I guess it made people feel like they had a reason to 'not' like them. Whatever.

With the exception of Erasure (which only the lead singer is gay, much like Judas Priest ahem), none of these bands were gay. Depeche Mode all had wives or girlfriends! But I guess because they dressed more 'goth' so they got tagged this way.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 4:05 pm

i actually think erasure made some amazing songs. i used to listen to them constanlty when i was youger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 4:47 pm

Yeah, Erasure rules! One of my favorite electronic bands for sure! They just released a new album too - and it's quite good. It will be in my top 10 for the year.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 4:21 pm

i have not heard it cos the cover put me off looked gay. my parents met them and we have some signed cds. i have loaded of erasure vinyl in my collection
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: for the Depeche Mode fans   for the Depeche Mode fans Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

for the Depeche Mode fans
Page 1 of 1