Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nelson: were they any good?

Go down 
+18
exact33
Required Fields
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Boris2008
manny
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
glassprison
Hadley
80s Metal Lady
Troublezone
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
muckie
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Nelson: were they any good? Empty
PostSubject: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 6:14 pm

I am not sure if Nelson was classified as AOR, HR or HM but I'd like to know more about them. Were they any good?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 6:20 pm

No.

But Bobby Rock is an awesome drummer.  And their lead guitarist Brett Garsed was awesome too.

They should've formed their own band.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7612

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 6:26 pm

The Brothers Blonde! They had a #1 hit and their first album went double platinum. Who knew? You learn something new everyday.

They were a harmless pop rock act with a couple of catchy songs, and the ladies liked them. One of my sisters loved them and she was in her mid-30s when they were popular. Calibrate your expectations accordingly.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39602

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 6:27 pm

Never was a fan, but my wife loved them.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7612

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Oh, also they had three guitarists in the band and it sounds like they have less than half of one guitar. So there's that.

"Love and Affection" is catchy as hell though.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 6:44 pm

haha about the 3 guitarists
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Were they going for the Leatherwolf vibe ?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37649

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 8:11 pm

I thought they were awful back in the day. A couple of years ago I came across their "After the Rain" CD at a yard sale and figured I'd give them another try...

.....aaaaand yeah, they were still awful. Haha. Way too lightweight/fluffy. They were like a "My First Non-Threatening Rock Band" for 12 year old girls.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 8:16 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Oh, also they had three guitarists in the band and it sounds like they have less than half of one guitar.  So there's that.  

"Love and Affection" is catchy as hell though.

Wow, I haven't heard that song in ages and it really takes me back to around 1988(?).  I was living in Jackson, TN at the time and there weren't any decent radio stations in the area at the time so I was stuck lisiening to a top 40 station most of the time.  And this damn song was in constant rotation.  It's actually a well-written song IMO but so lightweight and it still flashes me back to driving to work and going "Oh not this F'n song again!".

But it was still better than any of the Bad English BS that was even in higher rotation at the time; Gawd I HATE that band!

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Talk about weak and fluffy... they made Winger sound like real metal in comparison.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 9:18 pm

So they were the first band to successfully integrate easy listening and metal? That's an achievement!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 9:25 pm

tohostudios wrote:

But it was still better than any of the Bad English BS that was even in higher rotation at the time; Gawd I HATE that band!

That's just your Journey bias showing. Razz
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 9:32 pm

007 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

That's just your Journey bias showing. Razz

Laughing very hard  The sad part is I really enjoy John Waite with The Babys but teaming him up with the remnants of Journey just created this horrible synchronicity for me.  I actually hate Bad English MORE than Journey because they're even wimpier.

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 10:35 pm

I like the song "After The Rain."
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 10:55 pm

I have After the Rain and its ok, some good AOR tunes like Love and Affection, Only Time Will Tell, Bits and Pieces, Will you Love Me, and especially the title track (but do NOT watch the video for that song, just dont). Havent really heard anything else from them though, and from what ive heard, the later stuff gets even wimpier and is closer to acoustic-based pop than anything remotely rock-oriented.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 1:49 am

muckie wrote:
So they were the first band to successfully integrate easy listening and metal? That's an achievement!

They were pure pop cheese with a hard rock image. Kinda like Michael Bolton back in the day.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 5:23 am

Lightning Strikes Twice from 2010 is actually a very good melodic rock album. However, the majority of what I've heard after the debut is very weak. They have a new album coming out this year. If it continues in the vein of LST I will be interested.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 10:03 am

glassprison wrote:
Lightning Strikes Twice from 2010 is actually a very good melodic rock album. However, the majority of what I've heard after the debut is very weak. They have a new album coming out this year. If it continues in the vein of LST I will be interested.

Lightning Strikes Twice is outstanding. Absolutely.

I was also never impressed with their first two albums when they came out. Just a little too "light" for me, though I never thought the songs were bad, you know. I have planned to pick them up at some point and see what they're like beyond the hits.

I do have Imaginator, their third album--which I guess is actually their second album but deemed too dark and heavy by the label, so they self-released later--and it's quite good. It's a concept album so it has a bunch of short interludes, but excluding those it's a fantastic album.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 10:19 am

I remember them being quite popular with the ladies back in the day. Never knew any dude that would admit to liking them though.

I remember watching the video on MTV and telling my dad, "Those are Ricky Nelson's sons and Ozzie & Harriet's grandsons". My dad replied something along the lines of them spinning in their graves with those boys looking like girls.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 10:23 am

I had no idea they had made albums after the debut. Not that I'd be interested in any of them, I just figured they were a one album wonder.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 10:30 am

007 wrote:
I had no idea they had made albums after the debut. Not that I'd be interested in any of them, I just figured they were a one album wonder.

Quite a few actually. Their 9th came out in 2010. I thought they had a new one on the horizon. My mistake.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I f**ked up.)
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 10:31 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
007 wrote:

Quite a few actually. Looks like their 9th is coming out soon.

9th ! Shocked

Incredible...and good for them.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 11:07 am

Yeah, after the first two on Geffen they released a bunch on their own label. Aside from Imaginator, I've never even seen a single one of them. Don't think they got the greatest distribution.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 11:23 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
007 wrote:

Quite a few actually. Their 9th came out in 2010. I thought they had a new one on the horizon. My mistake.

According to Amazon they do have a new one coming out on 5/19 called "Peace, Out"

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 11:39 am

So it is. Someone needs to update their Wiki discography, stat!! Laughing. Nice cover...
Nelson: were they any good? 51RyiNKr39L

I remember seeing this one in the used bins quite a bit...
Nelson: were they any good? 51oZwLZffrL._SY355_

I thought it was pretty funny and it would seem as though the brothers Nelson had a sense of humor about themselves.

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nelson: were they any good?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next