Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Apple IIgs

Go down 
+4
corplhicks
mikeinfla
Witchfinder
Runicen
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Ok, nostalgia has been something of a Apple IIgs 692390

That said, I had a piece of nostalgia of my own that's been taking up some time and energy as I've been casting around to find one.

For history:

Anyway, my school had an entire computer lab filled with these damn things (I'm becoming convinced that only public schools actually bothered to buy the things) and I've been hoping to find one either being given away or sold for a pittance. What can I say? I'm a weekend warrior with these old PCs, not a hardcore collector.

Few things would please me more than getting my hands on one of these, inviting a few friends over (ideally with application of beer) and playing Oregon Trail or some other stupidity for a few hours.

Anyone else on here got history with these weird, beige boxes?

Back to top Go down

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 2:08 pm

My experience with those computers would be earlier and later models than that one. In high school (1985 era) we had one in the "gifted class" that was primarily used for either word processor usage or to play some games.

Fast-forward to college in 1995 and I re-encountered Apple because we used them to run Pro-Tools in the recording studios and Avid in the video production studios. No idea what the current model was at that point.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 2:17 pm

Mid-'90s might have meant one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh_6100
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh_7100
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh_8100

These were far more advanced than the machines I was using at the time. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 2:28 pm

A friend of mine had an Apple IIe in about 1983. He also had a modem! Super high tech stuff at the time.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 7:10 am

Witchfinder wrote:
A friend of mine had an Apple IIe in about 1983.  He also had a modem!  Super high tech stuff at the time.

I had a friend who had one too. I had a Commodore 64 (games were more plentiful and easier to get for the C=64). I also had a modem. A 300 baud modem and it took YEARS to download files. Then around 1986 or 87 I got a 1200 baud modem that was lightning fast as it only took 6 months to download files.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 8:46 am

A friend and I half-joke that one day the sound of a dial up modem will be some weird nostalgia trip that few will actually remember.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 11:36 am

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 11:53 am

LOOK AT THOSE GRAPHICS!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 12:33 pm

My uncle had a IIe that my cousin hated since all I did at their house was ignore him and play games.

Mike, the C64 was my first computer. Still have one too. A fond memory: loading up Thing on a Spring, then going to play my guitar for an hour until the damn game loaded up.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 12:38 pm

I have fond memories of the C64. My alltime favorite computer game was Archon: The Light And The Dark and my friend and I would play that on his C64 for hours. It was a great game; basically it was chess with various mythological creatures for pieces and to take a square from your opponent, your piece had to kill his piece in an arena.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 2:54 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I have fond memories of the C64.  My alltime favorite computer game was Archon: The Light And The Dark and my friend and I would play that on his C64 for hours.  It was a great game; basically it was chess with various mythological creatures for pieces and to take a square from your opponent, your piece had to kill his piece in an arena.  

Archon was one of the greats! Banshee and Phoenix were my favorites.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 4:24 pm

corplhicks wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I have fond memories of the C64.  My alltime favorite computer game was Archon: The Light And The Dark and my friend and I would play that on his C64 for hours.  It was a great game; basically it was chess with various mythological creatures for pieces and to take a square from your opponent, your piece had to kill his piece in an arena.  

Archon was one of the greats! Banshee and Phoenix were my favorites.

I hated that stupid phoenix especially since his dark counterpart the Dragon was a killer piece.  My favorites were the unicorns;  I was deadly with those. I was pretty good with the Manticore too but their bullets didn't pack as much oomph as the unicorn's.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 5:26 pm

I really enjoyed anything from Epyx. And yes, Archon was great as was Wolfenstein. And I could play Impossible Mission for HOURS

One of the very last games I had was the 3 Stooges. At the time it was the coolest graphics ever, however it would take over 5 minutes to load each section that only had about 30 seconds to 1 minute of play.

Watch the first minute and remember this was from 86 or 87. Pretty good graphics for the time.

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 9:09 am

As I've been digging back into gaming from my youth, I'm actually struck by the originality the limitations of that old hardware inspired. I mean, prior to everything being literally-rendered photo-realistic 3D models, people tried going stylized, cell shaded, and all points in between to create a compelling experience BECAUSE they couldn't make it look real.

While I dig my hi-def modern games, I kind of miss that inventiveness and yeah, we get fits of it in indie gaming, but a lot of that is trying to mimic the old stuff, not creativing new stuff in the spirit of the old stuff.

Ah well, maybe that's what makes eras like that special - they happen once and then you're hoping you're paying attention when the next one rolls around.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 10:27 pm

I think this does a good job showing how far we've come in the last 30 years.

http://technabob.com/blog/2009/02/21/apple-ii-disk-drive-mac-mini-casemod/

As far as the Apple II, i'm also looking for one, i think it'd be fun to mess around with.  I started a bit later though, mid-90s before my family got a computer.  I don't even remember the model, but it had Windows 3.1 on it.

I'm an IT tech and I just dug up a few nice relics today actually that had been stash away in my office by previous techs.  

Apple IIgs 11063210

Apple IIgs 11063110

Apple IIgs 11006110

Keyboard works! I'm actually using it as my main keyboard, funny stuff!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 2:44 am

In the the early to mid 80s we had one of those old apple computers at my elementary school.We got to go in there from time to time and play Oregon Trail.By the time I got in high school in the late 80s and early 90s we had a whole computer lab full of them.I remember playing Montezuma Revenge,Larry Bird vs Dr J etc.

I had one of those old ti-99 at home as a kid.Anyone remember those? Decent graphics for the time.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 12:19 pm

Chairman_Smith, please tell me you didn't toss those discs. You think they're junk until the one time you actually need to set up Windows or DOS on old hardware. Laughing

I'm still trying to track down a viable copy of Windows 95. Hard to believe that came out 20 years ago now...

And I'm immersing myself in my reminiscence of the soothing sounds of hardware switches on keyboards. If the sound of multiple people typing resembles early industrial music, you know you're dealing with quality!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Runicen wrote:
Chairman_Smith, please tell me you didn't toss those discs.  You think they're junk until the one time you actually need to set up Windows or DOS on old hardware.  Laughing

I'm still trying to track down a viable copy of Windows 95.  Hard to believe that came out 20 years ago now...

And I'm immersing myself in my reminiscence of the soothing sounds of hardware switches on keyboards.  If the sound of multiple people typing resembles early industrial music, you know you're dealing with quality!

Not only kept, but thinking about throwing onto a virtual machine!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Runicen wrote:
Chairman_Smith, please tell me you didn't toss those discs.  You think they're junk until the one time you actually need to set up Windows or DOS on old hardware.  Laughing

I'm still trying to track down a viable copy of Windows 95.  Hard to believe that came out 20 years ago now...

And I'm immersing myself in my reminiscence of the soothing sounds of hardware switches on keyboards.  If the sound of multiple people typing resembles early industrial music, you know you're dealing with quality!

YES!

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 10:44 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:

It is not physically possible for me to approve of this idea any more than I already do!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Apple IIgs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IIgs   Apple IIgs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Apple IIgs
Page 1 of 1