Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PRONG to release covers album

Go down 
+6
Temple of Blood
Troublezone
Shawn Of Fire
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PRONG to release covers album Empty
PostSubject: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 4:11 pm

PRONG to release covers album Prongsongsfromblackholecd

blabbermouth wrote:
Says PRONG mainman Tommy Victor: "PRONG is very excited about the upcoming release of our new record, 'Songs From The Black Hole', and equally excited about the artwork and packaging.

"Since the record explores PRONG's roots, musically and geographically, this needed to be expressed visually and this was attained.

"With the help of our art director Mike Lopez, the theme of urban decay, desolation, insecurity and ultimate change that prevails in the music has been brought to the surface in images.

"Since much of PRONG's origins come from a place of abandonment, we feel our new album artwork fully reflects this sentiment.

"I think one can get a grip of the hard hitting, dangerous sounds inside from a glimpse of the packaging of 'Songs From The Black Hole'.

"We certainly hope you enjoy this latest release, inside and out.“

According to Victor, "Songs From The Black Hole" will feature the following tracks, among others:

* BLACK FLAG - "The Bars"
* BAD BRAINS - "Banned In D.C."
* ADOLESCENTS - "Kids Of The Black Hole"
* THE SISTERS OF MERCY - "Vision Thing"
* KILLING JOKE - "Seeing Red"
* HÜSKER DÜ - Everything Falls Apart
* NEIL YOUNG - Cortez The Killer

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Very cool and a nice departure from the type of songs you usually see on covers albums.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39590

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 4:19 pm

I can honestly say that I've never heard any of the original versions of these songs so this would be a very interesting release for me,I think.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Good tracklist. But a covers album is beneath Prong. I call Bullshit once again.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 4:28 pm

The other covers will be:

RAINBOW - "Kill The King"
DEEP PURPLE - "Perfect Strangers"
BLACK SABBATH - "Paranoid"
LED ZEPPELIN - "Rock And Roll"

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 4:30 pm

Kinda interested
in the DP cover, but that still does not merit a whole Prong covers album. B-sides, sure.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 8:48 pm

I'm not sure about these songs... but I'll give it a listen and see how I feel about it later.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 8:51 pm

I kinda would like to hear them cover a Sepultura or Slayer song. Although I do like some of those early punk/alternative/industrial type bands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Why would Prong cover a Sepultura song? They were contemporaries of each other.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 9:35 pm

I'm sorry but I just can't imagine this being good. This band is better than this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 10:55 pm

I don't see what the problem is.  Recording songs that influenced them, which is basically what all cover albums are about.  Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're not.  This one has potential to at least be interesting because they are going outside the normal metal band covers metal songs schtick.

How exactly are Prong "better than this"? I'm just curious.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 12:19 am

Very strange, fussing over this. Sure, lots of cover albums suck, but many don't. I would only say a band is "better" than releasing a covers album if they were doing so for the wrong reasons—label pressure, to get out of a contract, etc.

Not a bad cover at all, and that's an old one.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 2:43 am

Cortez the Killer! I gotta hear this.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 8:14 am

"Get a Grip On Yourself" on Prove You Wrong was a cover too (The Stranglers).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

Number of posts : 291

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2015 10:07 am

Wow, I've not kept up with Prong since 'Carved in Stone' but this looks like a great album to catch up again with them on.
Back to top Go down
https://krullrecords.bigcartel.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 4:04 pm

Not really familiar with the tunes they're covering here, so I'd certainly want to hear a little beforehand. Could be cool, I guess.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 5:00 pm

I'm semi-familiar with some of the bands they're covering, cuz I've heard bits & pieces of a lot of 'em in passing over the years, but not so much these particular tracks. So for all intents and purposes, it'd probably sound like a new Prong record to me.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 6:06 pm

"Songs From The Black Hole" track listing:

01. Doomsday (DISCHARGE cover)
02. Vision Thing (SISTERS OF MERCY cover)
03. Goofy's Concern (BUTTHOLE SURFERS cover)
04. Kids Of The Black Hole (ADOLESCENTS cover)
05. Bars (BLACK FLAG cover)
06. Seeing Red (KILLING JOKE cover)
07. Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely (HÜSKER DÜ cover)
08. Give Me The Cure (FUGAZI cover)
09. Banned in D.C. (BAD BRAINS cover)
10. Cortez The Killer (NEIL YOUNG cover)

Really unique choices, I think. A lot of tunes leaning toward the punk spectrum. And Prong doing a Butthole Surfers cover? Weird. But..."Goofy's Concern" is a fantastic song, from really their only great album, Independent Worm Saloon. A classic in my opinion.

And I don't think I've ever heard a cover of "Cortez the Killer" that wasn't by a jam band, so I'm definitely interested in hearing that one.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 6:58 pm

How many of those selections are surprising, given what PRONG have always said are their influences?

I say none.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2015 10:39 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
How many of those selections are surprising, given what PRONG have always said are their influences?

I say none.

Well, the Butthole Surfers and Neil Young covers are surprising.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 1:44 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PRONG to release covers album   PRONG to release covers album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PRONG to release covers album
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: