Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The El Rey Network

Go down 
+4
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Troublezone
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17044

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 7:51 am

I've been watching this network on basic cable and it plays some 70s and 80s cult classic movies. Any other fans?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 8:19 am

I'd never heard of it until Christmas day when I was looking for something to watch and found this channel was having a Godzilla marathon.  Unfortunately it's not part of my basic cable package but I found it interesting that a channel called El Rey (which I would have assumed was a Spanish language network) was showing movies like Godzilla Raids Again, Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster and Godzilla's Revenge on Christmas.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 8:29 am

Robert Rodriguez (director of "Machete," "From Dusk Til Dawn," etc.) is one of the movers and shakers behind the El Rey Network, which explains its 70s/80s grindhouse aesthetic.

Unfortunately it's not on my cable system either, which is a bummer cuz it sounds like the kind of channel I would have on all the time!! Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 8:31 am

I have it - they have an interesting mix of programming. I haven't watched it too much
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39186

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 8:43 am

tohostudios wrote:
I'd never heard of it until Christmas day when I was looking for something to watch and found this channel was having a Godzilla marathon.  Unfortunately it's not part of my basic cable package but I found it interesting that a channel called El Rey (which I would have assumed was a Spanish language network) was showing movies like Godzilla Raids Again, Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster and Godzilla's Revenge on Christmas.

Saw that too.....and missed it as well since it's not on package either. Too bad because itseems like a pretty cool network.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 11:17 am

Currently it has movies like Fright Night, Outland and Logan's Run. It also recently had that old b-movie horror flick "Frogs". Last Year, when I first started watching, it had George Romero's Day of the Dead and Knightriders. It's a great cable channel!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7606

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 11:19 am

Unfortunately my cable system does not carry it. I became aware of the network because they air Lucha Underground. Hopefully, Comcast will add it at some point.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 2:31 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Currently it has movies like Fright Night, Outland and Logan's Run. It also recently had that old b-movie horror flick "Frogs". Last Year, when I first started watching, it had George Romero's Day of the Dead and Knightriders. It's a great cable channel!

Are these flicks edited?

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 3:05 pm

Will have to see if my att package carries it. If so, that would up the number of cable channels I watch to three and a half.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 3:38 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Unfortunately my cable system does not carry it.  I became aware of the network because they air Lucha Underground.  Hopefully, Comcast will add it at some point.

I never heard of it either, but a little investigating shows that it does appear on some Comcast stations, but only in certain markets. My area is not one of them.

It's targeted towards the Latino audience, so perhaps they only add it to their line-ups with a heavy Latino population?

Road Warrior
Troublezone

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 12:41 am

tohostudios wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Are these flicks edited?

I don't think so...
They show nudity, so I guess it's fully unedited.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 12:50 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Unfortunately my cable system does not carry it.  I became aware of the network because they air Lucha Underground.  Hopefully, Comcast will add it at some point.

I never heard of it either, but a little investigating shows that it does appear on some Comcast stations, but only in certain markets. My area is not one of them.

It's targeted towards the Latino audience, so perhaps they only add it to their line-ups with a heavy Latino population?

I live in Orange County, CA. We have a large Hispanic population, but I don't think the movies really reflect that demographic per se... except for the lucha libre stuff.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 10:30 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Rey_(TV_network)

The El Rey Network Empty
PostSubject: Re: The El Rey Network   The El Rey Network Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The El Rey Network
Page 1 of 1