Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Top 25 Thrash List...

Go down 
+20
kyleblack
Eyesore
brokentulsa
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
exact33
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
ZombieHavoc
Vexer6
Gilbert
Lurideath
Dark Horseman
Boris2008
Thelemech
Alex Dee Rokket
Witchfinder
corplhicks
DakotaRogers
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

New Top 25 Thrash List... Empty
PostSubject: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 8:39 pm

http://metaldescent.com/the-25-best-thrash-metal-albums-of-all-time/

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 9:04 pm

Not a bad list but I don't see how "Hordes of Chaos" beats out a lot of albums, including other KREATOR albums.

"Act III"? Come on!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

"Act III"?  Come on!

Oh no, a band actually stretching the paradigm a little! Can't have that!
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 9:32 pm

Yeah, I stopped reading at:

Therefore we begin with 5 honorable mentions that just missed the cut.

Overkill – Horrorscope
Artillery – By Inheritance
Flotsam and Jetsam – Doomsday For The Deceiver
Sacred Reich – The American Way wrote:

You'd be better off with a list thrown together by someone on Yahoo! Answers whose thrash knowledge ends at the Big 4.

Last edited by DakotaRogers on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 9:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

"Act III"?  Come on!

Actually Act III is the album that gets all the accolades and acknowledgement, even over the debut. I always scratch my head at that--besides being a break-through album, it's just not that good to me. Especially compared to the raw energy and, for being teenagers, musicianship in Ultra-Violence.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 10:00 pm

Is Pantera a thrash band?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 10:04 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

I consider "Cowboys from Hell" to be, but anything after that, not really.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 10:05 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I consider "Cowboys from Hell" to be, but anything after that, not really.

I don't even think CFH is a thrash album. Ah well, it's always fun to argue about lists and genres.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 10:17 pm

I only asked if Pantera was a thrash band because they never self-identified as such.  Check out this interview from 1991 where they are already calling themselves groove metal at the 1:20 mark:

Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 10:23 pm

I wouldn't cite that list as an authority on the all-time best thrash albums, ultimately it is still someone's opinion and how that person perceives the particular albums they listed (in favour of others missing from the list). However, Hordes of Chaos is far from being one of the best all time thrash albums or even one of Kreator's best - it is a decent album but to my ears it sounds like a thrashier version of Violent Revolution. That has been the trend with most Kreator albums since VR: a mix of melodeath riffing and thrash elements, nothing wrong with that but hardly anything original to land it on such a list.

I also don't agree that Pleasure to Kill is the all time best thrash album. It has alot of good elements and it is both a classic and stand out album in Kreator's catalog but hardly all time best. My pick would go to the number 2 album on that list - Rust in Peace is imo the crowning achievement of the entire thrash subgenre. I like the more melodic but intricate side of thrash than the more aggressive tone of bands like Slayer and Sodom. I can see how others would disagree with that choice.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 10:43 pm

Interesting list. Still missing tons of great albums... maybe it should have been a top 50 or top 100.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 11:09 pm

This was always my favorite top 25 thrash list (albeit, in video form.)

Even though it's missing some Vio-Lence and Artillery, to name a few.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 11:09 pm

corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

"Act III"?  Come on!

Actually Act III is the album that gets all the accolades and acknowledgement, even over the debut. I always scratch my head at that--besides being a break-through album, it's just not that good to me. Especially compared to the raw energy and, for being teenagers, musicianship in Ultra-Violence.

I split the difference, my favorite Death Angel album is Frolic Through The Park.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2015 11:10 pm

Nothing from the mighty Razor there...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 12:03 am

Wow, that's a pretty bad list! I like Kreator, Metallica, Megadeth & Slayer and all would have made the list but when you are going to keep it to 25 then no band should have two, and certainly f*£king not Pantera! Megadeth get three and still manage to miss the best one!

Obvious old school omissions would be

Possessed - Seven Churches
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Exumer - Possessed By Fire
Bathory - The Return
Razor - Executioners Song
Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Deathrow - Riders of Doom

and any list that doesn't contain

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends, c'mon?
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 12:15 am

Bathory, eh? Hmm Suspect
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 am

DakotaRogers wrote:
Bathory, eh? Hmm Suspect

Yeah, you can leave your retrospective genre nit picking at the door sunshine! When these records came out, they were all considered thrash, unlike Pantera who never, ever were.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 12:28 am

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

"Act III"?  Come on!

I split the difference, my favorite Death Angel album is Frolic Through The Park.

That's a great album and deserves far more attention than Act III. Experimental, cutting edge, catchy, fun--it's like satisfying middle ground between its bookends.

Isn't this like the third terrible thrash list full of crap that we've seen since I started here?
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 12:29 am

Boris2008 wrote:
DakotaRogers wrote:
Bathory, eh? Hmm Suspect

Yeah, you can leave your retrospective genre nit picking at the door sunshine! When these records came out, they were all considered thrash,  unlike Pantera who never, ever were.

How about.... "Under the Sign"?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 12:52 am

DakotaRogers wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
DakotaRogers wrote:
Bathory, eh? Hmm Suspect

Yeah, you can leave your retrospective genre nit picking at the door sunshine! When these records came out, they were all considered thrash,  unlike Pantera who never, ever were.

How about.... "Under the Sign"?

Any of the first three could have made my list, they went a bit epic after that (but still great!)

There was so much at that time that was integral to the scene that looking back, probably don't fit neatly into the thrash mould. I thought that the list that you posted was pretty good although if we are going to be genre snobs, Dealing With It is a punk record! lol!

Omissions from my omissions list

Whiplash - Power & Pain
Coroner - Punishment for Decadence
Holy Moses - Finished With the Dogs
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 10:45 am

No Tourniquet? \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 11:55 am

Crappy list!!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 2:37 pm

These lists are always fun to check out.

I believe rust in peace to be the ultimate thrash metal album of all time.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 9:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

"Act III"?  Come on!

I like when bands stretch the paradigm. You're the one with the knee-jerk reaction and prejudice here. Turns out you were dead wrong.

"Act III" is their best album, by far. But no album from this band belongs in the top 25 of all thrash history. That's ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2015 10:34 pm

I thought it was a cool list but I don't agree including Pantera in any thrash list. However, it's just an opinion. My list would look much different.

PostSubject: Re: New Top 25 Thrash List...   New Top 25 Thrash List... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Top 25 Thrash List...
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next