Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984

Go down 
+14
James B.
Witchfinder
nevermore
Glower
Boris2008
BearOnUnicycle
Thrasher73
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Temple of Blood
Thelemech
Gilbert
80s Metal Lady
Fat Freddy
MoonChild
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 9:04 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Cool.  A single recording is definitely not worth hundreds of dollars. I think the most I have ever spent was $50 on Heretic's Breaking Point.  I doubt I would pay more than that for anything, and that Heretic recording has been re-released two times since I paid $50 for it!  Also, virtually everything has been reissued/bootlegged at some point and a high quality bootleg is sufficient for me.  Case in point being all of Heavy Load's catalog.

I have that Cloven Hoof on CD, but I got it back when it was reissued in 2002.  I had enough foresight back then to buy almost every one of those Neat Metal reissues on Castle/Sanctuary.  I am only missing 1 of those - the Warfare compilation.  I even have Overdrive Swords & Axes on vinyl and both cd versions.  One of my CD versions is autographed by the entire band to me.  Again, I was just lucky to acquire that in an email exchange with Janne Stark.  

But I digress.  Are you planning on making any other lists for other years/genres?
Heavy Load's CDs are easy to find, but I was able to score Stronger than Evil and their Death or Glory-exclusive single on vinyl for fair prices. I may have to pick up their debut on CD before all others, though.

You got that Cloven Hoof CD? I'd suggest keeping it for as long as you can, because once it's sold, you're pretty much out of luck on ever coming across another copy again. That's cool about your Overdrive CD being autographed by the whole band.

I'm planning to make more lists for some of the following years, but mostly as a retrospective to indicate that it's been thirty years since a particular year.
James B. wrote:
I have all but 10 on vinyl and cassette.  
Appreciate the time spent on the list,  Just hate the hassles of going to your site to see it.   I get all sorts of Malware and other crap visiting there.  Next time please post a list here, thanks.  Guess getting visits and hits counts for something ?
Thanks for checking it out, but this is news to me on your claims about finding malware there. The site is safe to visit on my end. What programs do you use to detect these kinds of things?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 10:53 pm

Painkiller wrote:

Thanks for checking it out, but this is news to me on your claims about finding malware there. The site is safe to visit on my end. What programs do you use to detect these kinds of things?

It's not malicious stuff, just a pain to deal with. If you don't get rid of it all, it makes it easier for the harmful stuff to piggy back.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Cool list! It was a surprise to see Saracen on it. Smile
... and some of my favorites low on the list.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Listening to a few of the albums on the list I haven't heard before, starting with Witchkiller. According to Encyclopaedia Metallum, they had a 4-track demo in 1985. The songs have been uploaded individually on YouTube. They really got synthesized, LOL.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 4:25 pm

great list, most of the albums I admit never heard or even heard of, but for the most part a very original listing and not just filled with your usual suspects
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 4:51 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
Listening to a few of the albums on the list I haven't heard before, starting with Witchkiller. According to Encyclopaedia Metallum, they had a 4-track demo in 1985. The songs have been uploaded individually on YouTube. They really got synthesized, LOL.

Witchkiller is great. I highly recommend their Day of the Saxons EP. It's still in print and readily available.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 8:44 pm

You think Queensryche's The Warning is "wimpy pop music"? Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 12:43 am

Eyesore wrote:

Whilst praising 3rd rate "female-fronted" "metal" bands. Inexplicable.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 12:58 am

Eyesore wrote:

You're reading that wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 1:48 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Badly written if I am.

Quote :
What happened to this band? This full-length debut goes to show how a once-reputable USPM band can sell out big-time and make wimpy pop music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 1:51 am

The wording is indeed off, so I adjusted it. If I didn't like the album, it wouldn't have been on my list.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 9:42 am

That's a fun list, but there was only one part that boggled my mind. Granted it's your list and your opinion...but you like that Reckless album? And you like it MORE than Ride the Lightning, Powerslave, Fistful of Metal, Last in Line, Medieval Steel, Tooth and Nail, Give 'Em the Axe, Defenders of the Faith, Wings of Tomorrow and everything else from 100-65?

That Reckless album is one of the most boring things I've ever purchased, so I just had to comment on that part. Otherwise, looking forward to reading subsequent yearly lists, if you intend to do them.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 11:16 am

Eyesore wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Badly written if I am.

Quote :
What happened to this band? This full-length debut goes to show how a once-reputable USPM band can sell out big-time and make wimpy pop music.

Yeah, I read that to mean that "The Warning" showed they were "once-reputable" and capable of heavier metal. What came after was "wimpy" compared to it. It's very high on his list, so he must like it. The re-write is more clear, though.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 3:09 pm

There's quite a few albums that I still need to check out. However, I did find a copy of High Tension's Warrior. Hopefully it will be here soon.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2015 12:04 am

Moving through the list starting with #1, some aren't my cup of tea (i.e. Destruction, Tyrant, Sodom, Icon, Fates Warning), but I'm stuck on Taist Of Iron--Resurrection right now. That album is incredible! I especially dig the tracks "The Gates" and "Cross Of Fire."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2