Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Drop

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

Number of posts : 291

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 2:47 am

I went to see this film last night. Being a fan of Tom Hardy, I was impressed with his acting in this film. He fitted well into the roll, worked very well with James Gandolfini and had a handle on the character from the word go.

While I was expecting a slightly different film, this really did ignite my passion for 'getting on with life'. It's not every day you get a perspective building film. Takes a look:

Back to top Go down
https://krullrecords.bigcartel.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 4:07 pm

I LOVE James G's acting and have been wanting to see this just for him. That last movie with the Julia Dreyfuss seemed like joke way to go out. This seems way more appropriate.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 5:06 pm

Never heard of it, but the trailer looked cool. I'd probably watch that.

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 5:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Never heard of it, but the trailer looked cool. I'd probably watch that.

Independent film, you have to seek those out because they get minimal advertising and generally only play in large cities.
Back to top Go down
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 5:29 pm

Hhaha, in the UK, it's seen as a fairly big deal - Tom Hardy is a good UK actor (check Bronson for more).

I was very sceptical about watching this film. I had a few other options of film to watch, Interstellar being on of them. I just didn't fancy the length of Interstellar - not being able to smoke for 3 hours (wife, not me), might have been a little too long. The Drop was about the right length.

It's a gritty film, not too gritty, just enough to make you feel like you've seen something good. Hardy and Gandolfini work well together. It's worth watching if your a dog lover, the one in this is ace!
Back to top Go down

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Independent films are where most of the quality lies, sadly they have such limited commercial potential that it's hard to get them released theatrically. Often the cost of advertising and distributing a film is much more expensive than the film was to make.

Look at some of the low-budget horror titles. A movie like Insidious only cost $3 million to produce...but they spent $50 million on advertising and distribution in the US alone. Horror titles generally turn a profit so the studios don't mind the investment. But a straight dramatic film? Those titles are much harder to market and have limited profit potential. So they released in the major cities and get submitted for awards shows...but most of the population won't get to see them until they come out on home video or streaming.

Back to top Go down
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 6:01 pm

I think that this is an issue the world over. I will take any film that has passion for what it is over anything that has money attached to it. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and take what's coming if you want to see something you really want to see.

Spending a million on anything like this seems extravagant to me. Personally, a good interview or documentary will make me just as happy. The underground is where film making is always going to be, shame it isn't chased as much as it used to be. I think the bubble burst with The Blair Witch.
Back to top Go down

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 9:21 pm

The budget for "The Drop" was $12 million. That is considered low budget nowadays.

Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 3:11 am

That looks like a good flick! I'll have to check that one out.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 6:23 pm

S.D. wrote:
The budget for "The Drop" was $12 million.  That is considered low budget nowadays.

Still blows my mind considering how much Kevin Smith make Clerks for.
Back to top Go down
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Man, I just watched the trailer again. Unless I took a chance on just watching a movie, I wouldn't have watched it just by going on the trailer alone. One of those great nights with an empty movie theatre, me and the wife and a movie we just dug. And apparently, I'm not romantic, well, this is for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Drop   The Drop Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Drop
Page 1 of 1