Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Come Out and Play

Go down 
+14
corplhicks
martinsane
journeyman
Thrasher73
DeathCult
mlotek
manny
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Glower
Boris2008
Gilbert
tohostudios
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 12:57 pm

I have despised this album since it came out. Now [except for "the Leader of the Pack"] I am really digging it. Nostalgia for something sub-par, I guess? Anyone else like an album they used to think was crap?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 1:32 pm

First one I thought of was Supertramp's "Breakfast In America".  Man I hated that album back in the day; I always found Roger Hodgson's voice to be so irritating.  I hated everything about the album, even the cover art.  And "The Logical Song" was so overplayed.  But somewhere along the line I came to appreciate the songwriting on that album and while I still can only take the vocals in limited doses I find myself spinning Breakfast fairly regularly.

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 3:07 pm

I can't stand Twisted Sister. I've always looked at them as a typical joke act that MTV pimped out. On the other hand, Under the Blade is solid stuff.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 3:23 pm

I have a couple of their albums but they are far from being among my favourites. I prefer other sisters namely sisters of mercy Razz
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 5:30 am

A fair bit of non metal from the early eighties. The Teardrop Explodes is a prime example. I brushed them off as a kid but have since gotten really into what they did.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3173

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 8:54 am

Twisted Sister was like AC DC in ways -They always had 3 or 4 good songs on a cd -
and the rest were 'fillers' - I saw that concert - Dee came out of the man-hole cover - lol -
Kill or Be Killed - Out In The Streets - Looking out for #1 - The Fire Still Burns -
Those are very good songs !
I had to laugh - when I saw the movie " The Warriors " - that movie was a ground breaker - caused trouble insued at various movie theaters too - "come out and play" was said by one of the gang members before a big rumble -
I think it's T.S's best cd.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 9:10 am

I never really liked Come Out and Play much, aside from the title track. I remember it crashed & burned pretty quick when it was released in '85. They sold something like two million of Stay Hungry but COaP barely squeaked past gold if memory serves. I know it wound up in the cut-out bins pretty quickly, cuz that's where I bought my LP copy (with the way-cool gimmicky "pop up cover!") in early '86.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 10:07 am

I was about 20 years or so late getting on the TS bandwagon and this album was one of the last ones I got to complete the discography. Without nostalgia or hype to cloud my judgement, I find it to be a decent enough album. It had pretty big shoes to fill, following the mega-success of Stay Hungry. I don't love it, but it's far from terrible or un-listenable. It get's fairly regular spins from me.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 10:17 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
  Anyone else like an album they used to think was crap?

I guess I misunderstood the point of the thread.  I thought the sentence above meant any album not just a TS album.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 11:30 am

tohostudios wrote:

I guess I misunderstood the point of the thread.  I thought the sentence above meant any album not just a TS album.

Hmmm, re-reading the initial post, I believe you are correct. It's not Twisted-centric.

That being the case, I'll cast my vote for Megadeth's Risk. Upon it's debut way back in 1999, I found it to be horrible and most of it pretty much un-listenable crapolla. Now in 2014, I find it almost tolerable. That's an improvement, right?

Come Out and Play 506406

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3173

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 1:27 pm

I always thought this was kind of a cool video -
and the song's message - was brought on - with a new angle -
and of course, there's a 'cute' factor -
anyways - KISS RULES this topic - always baffled by their releases -
I ended up feeling dumb...bringing the record up to the cash register - Gene $
but with time - yeras and years later - relaxed -
and could actually enjoy/appreciate some of their songs -
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 7:58 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Hmmm, re-reading the initial post, I believe you are correct. It's not Twisted-centric.

That being the case, I'll cast my vote for Megadeth's Risk. Upon it's debut way back in 1999, I found it to be horrible and most of it pretty much un-listenable crapolla. Now in 2014, I find it almost tolerable. That's an improvement, right?

Come Out and Play 506406

Unc started it so who knows what his original intention was???? \'arry \'eadbanger

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 8:02 pm

I have to agree with Toho, so for some reason, I hated 'Breakfast in America' and something happened over the last decade or so, where I actually enjoy the album.

'Come Out and Play' is a decent album, but too slick, too calculating in trying to duplicate its success and one up it, by being overly commercial. More concerned with getting radio play then just writing fun tunes aimed at fans and not radio programmers.
Back to top Go down

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 8:40 pm

I loved Breakfast In America when it came out (I was 9) and still do to this day. I've also used that album as one of my "sound system test discs" for a long time, the production is superb.

Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 10:40 pm

Come Out and Play was excellent, but as I was heavily into thrash metal at that time,
I could spend my money on the LP.
It was years later when it was in the delete bin at a cheaper price I would buy it.
and
Breakfast In America rules.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 12:48 am

About half the record is killer, the rest is horrible. I've always dug it, but what's bad is really bad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 1:48 am

It's ok,about half really.How bout Love is for Suckers?Now there's a good one.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 11:05 am

Chickenfoot I. Don't know why I didn't like it then nor do I know why I like it now, but my opinion of the album has changed and I like it a lot now. Funny how that happens.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 10:33 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
It's ok,about half really.How bout Love is for Suckers?Now there's a good one.

I was going to chime in with this one. It is my favorite TS album, really loved that Kix did the backing vox.

Come Out and Play was imho really hit and miss. As mentioned a handful of good to OK songs and another handful of stinkers.

Supertramp's Breakfast is an amazing album and has been since I had the 8-Track a LONG time ago.

For me its Led Zeppelin. NEVER understood the appeal, but have grown to appreciate their work in the past 10 years...

The opposite holds true for Aerosmith. I used to enjoy them quite a bit up to Permanent Vacation, but now I have removed all traces of them from my collection and will be a happy camper to never hear another peep from their camp.
Back to top Go down

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 11:08 pm

I can think of many examples of albums I used to listen to that I no longer need to hear again...but I'm having a hard time thinking of a single example of an album I hated when I was younger that I love now.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 11:22 pm

S.D. wrote:
I can think of many examples of albums I used to listen to that I no longer need to hear again...but I'm having a hard time thinking of a single example of an album I hated when I was younger that I love now.

Yeah that's the exact same problem I'm having. I'm certain there are several titles that fit that description but for some mind-boggling reason, even after browsing my CD rack, I'm stuck.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 7:51 pm

The only albums that come to mind here and now are the Peter Criss and Gene Simmons solo albums released in '78.  I was in 8th grade.  After only one spin on the ol' turntable I returned them to the record store.  I was so disappointed.  Then sometime in the nineties, I purchased the remasters through the BMG Music Service and discovered they weren't so bad after all.  Now I like them and listen to them regularly, especially the Gene Simmons solo album.

P.S. Purchased a vinyl copy of Twisted Sister's Come Out and Play earlier this year.  I had only heard the album once years ago, but liked the die-cut album cover.  Plus I love of their first three albums, so I wanted to hear this one again.  It's good.  Now, I need to find a nice vinyl copy of Love Is For Suckers.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Here's another one for me:

Bruce Springsteen - "Born To Run"

I don't know whether it was the radio overkill of the title track or what but I used to hate any and everything Springsteen. Then when I was older I actually sat down and listened to "The River" album and something struck a chord. So I revisited most of Bruce's albums and discovered I really enjoy his early works (I still hate most of the Born In The USA album and most of his output since save "The Rising").

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 8:55 pm

Dokken - Shadowlife

Hated it when it first came out and now I quite like it. Especially the Japanese bonus tracks Deep Waters and How Many Lives.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Ratt's 1999 self-titled album, Thought it sounded too different from "traditional" Ratt at the time. Gave it another listen a couple of months ago and while it still didnt sound like the Ratt of old (it really shouldnt have come out under the Ratt name), it still had some very good, solid tunes (Over the Edge, Live For Today, Dead Reckoning, It Aint Easy, So Good So Fine).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Come Out and Play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Come Out and Play   Come Out and Play Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Come Out and Play
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next