Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.

Go down 
+12
nevermore
MetalGuy71
Thelemech
80s Metal Lady
manny
sovdat
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
Witchfinder
mikeinfla
Boris2008
choosemetal
16 posters
AuthorMessage
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Empty
PostSubject: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 3:24 am

Like for example Im thinking of selling or trading everything I own by Kreator and Destruction. Mainly because I don't listen to them anymore. But I'm kinda wondering in the future will I regret selling em. Have you guys have ever ejected some stuff and then regretted it later?
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 3:47 am

I sold my entire record collection. It was the right thing to do at the time. I am also enjoying trying to buy it all back again.

But if your decision is because you just don't listen any more, I'd keep hold of them. I think that music is a wonderful reminder of who you were at certain parts of your life and I revisit all of it eventually.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 7:23 am

I've done it, but most everything I keep. I can only think of one I sold for a few bucks that I wanted to keep. Then I saw it on ebay for about 50, forgot I sold it and was gonna list it on ebay. Either way I was gonna sell it anyway, would've been nice to get top dollar for it once it became out of print.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 11:06 am

Back in the day, I would sell my CDs frequently. I was broke and they were a good way to free up some cash, but I always regretted selling them. I haven't sold anything in ages and probably won't at this point because they really aren't worth anything - other than a few rarities that I have. However, if you don't like the music or don't listen to it, I can see why you'd part with it. Can you rip them and have the audio files in case you want to listen to them?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Yah, I'm thinking about Ripping them to my computer and just keeping like one or two cd's from each band. Thanks for all your guys input.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 1:29 pm

In the early 90s my entire LP collection was stolen (including records I had owned since the mid 70s) and that one probably hurt the most.

In the late 90s I sold my entire CD collection....then started anew.

Then again in 2011 I sold my CD collection....but decided I was done with CDs and mostly done with physical media in general.

It really doesn't bother me at all anymore, I never touch the physical media unless it's an LP or blu-ray/dvd-a disc. Everything else gets played on the computer anyway so actually purchasing physical copies is just a waste of time for me.

I've started buying lossless downloads from places like Bandcamp or directly from artists websites. I also buy some hi-res titles from places like HDtracks. I occasionally still buy LPs if it's an artist I REALLY love (they are too expensive to buy on a regular basis).

For stuff I only listen to occasionally Spotify or Amazon Prime Music does the trick.

I still love music just as much as always, but I can still love it without cluttering up my small apartment with racks and racks of unnecessary coasters.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 1:54 pm

I never sell any cds. even if I do not listen to them anymore there will be a time when I feel like re-visiting them.

if there is one thing that I regret it is not buying stryper-soldiers under command cd despite seeing it on the shelves at a record store. when i came back the next day it was gone.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 3:10 pm

I've ditched tons of CDs over the years, though not as many recently because I don't have any local stores to trade in my used stuff anymore.

Off the top of my head I can't really think of anything I've ever gotten rid of that has made me go "Dammit why did I do that?" later on. If I get rid of a disc I usually have a pretty good reason, i.e. "this sucks!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Yes. I don't believe that I'll be able to find some CDs ever again (or certainly won't pay as much as the going price is).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 10:25 pm

Yes and no, when I first started buying CD's nobody gave a rat's ass about vinyl, so if I replaced a vinyl record for the CD, I would give the vinyl record away.

I literally gave away hundreds of albums, and sort of regret, but if I had kept all those albums I would have ended up on an episode of hoarders
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2014 11:16 pm

The only case I could see regretting selling/trading a CD is if that actual CD has some sentimental value, i.e. someone wrote something on it or it was taken on an important trip or was a gift from someone special. Otherwise, with eBay and other online stores, it's easy to buy back almost any CD or record imaginable if one ends up regretting it. Plus, music can be recorded before selling in case one wants to hear it again if the physical copy is not necessary to own.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 12:26 am

In the late 90s when I was living in Hawaii I sold all of my 500+ Cd collection for financial reasons. I still regret it today as I had a lot of first print metal and some great box sets.

I started about 10 years ago - buying again that is. I have about 800+ CD collection now.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 9:58 am

I like to thin out my collection from time to time, and there has been some instances where I've ditched a cd only to buy it back again, but that's sorta rare. When it does happen though, it's something that can be found on the cheap, so it's never really been an issue for me. I don't know that I'd ever sell off huge chunks of my collection or anything that big.

Nowadays, I'll to rip 'em to the computer before I sell them off, just in case.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25871

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 11:02 am

There's been a few times when I have sold or traded stuff and ended up thinking later on "Why did you do that?". But there's been cds that I've got rid of and haven't regretted it at all.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 6:03 pm

I sold my entire collection about 6 years ago. I know that I'll probably never see many of those CDs again. The ones I do find I'll most likely not get at anywhere near the price I originally paid for them.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 6:10 pm

I don't sell off or get rid of cd's, vinyl or cassettes.......... I did the same thing that Scott did back in the day (getting rid of collection because of the perception that it would hep my spiritual life) - I regretted it and vowed to never get rid of any of my music ever again.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 9:43 pm

I do regret selling my vinyl collection it numbered about 2000. I fell in love with this woman and needed money to move so I sold it. Worst move ever on my part. I will never again sell anything. Oh she was a cheat moved back after 2 weeks.

Wargod
Back to top Go down
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Wargod wrote:
I do regret selling my vinyl collection it numbered about 2000. I fell in love with this woman and needed money to move so I sold it. Worst move ever on my part. I will never again sell anything. Oh she was a cheat moved back after 2 weeks.

Wargod

oh wow, that sucks..
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 am

I had to sell off a lot of stuff several years ago due to financial issues...loads of stuff I'll never get back...so yeah, I regret it.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 12:36 pm

why do you guys enjoy selling your cds, only to rebuy them later?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Gilbert wrote:
why do you guys enjoy selling your cds, only to rebuy them later?

Seems like most of these stories have one common denominator...$$$

PostSubject: Re: Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.    Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you sometimes regret selling/trading cds, vinyl, or cassettes.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: