Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice: Vocal Demo

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Advice: Vocal Demo Empty
PostSubject: Advice: Vocal Demo   Advice: Vocal Demo Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 10:06 am

Ok. I have a weird question to pose to y'all.

I sing - nothing professional, but I kind of keep an eye out for opportunities that "feel right" to branch out with it as - hey, who wouldn't like doing that and getting paid to do so?

Anyway, a local band posted on Craigslist that they were looking for a singer to provide vocals on 3 of their songs and would pay per track for the work. Ok, sounds great - opportunity with no obligation AND cash? Where do I sign up? Problem is, their stated model is a Sammy Hagar-esque singer and they want two recorded vocal samples to go off of before anything else happens. I COULD sing Hagar stuff, but I don't think of it as a sound I can pull off convincingly. What I'm trying to figure out is other metalers in a similar vein that I could pull off, so they get the sound they're after, but I don't have to try imitating a singer I'm not really on the level with.

For a bit of background, I probably have a tenor voice, but can drop into high baritone - maybe full baritone if I'm really working for it. For better or worse, I can also do the high falsetto stuff, but adding any kind of growl in my higher registers provides difficulty unless I've got a cold or something like that, so rasp in higher registers isn't really easy for me to pull off - hence the problem with Hagar. My growl is probably closer to Jon Oliva's lower range in old Sava or Rob Halford's "Living After Midnight" sound.

Any suggestions? I figure I'll just record myself singing over an existing track, drop the volume of the original so it doesn't sound like I'm cheating, and send that to see if they're interested. Singers on the board, I'm definitely open to suggestions and fans as well - if there's any band you know of that I am familiar with, let me have it. I'm just having a hell of a time drawing lines from Hagar to anything I'm more familiar and comfortable with.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Advice: Vocal Demo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice: Vocal Demo   Advice: Vocal Demo Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 2:59 pm

I'd probably say try out some Tad Morose or Pharaoh. "Matters of the Dark" and "The Longest Night" respectively. Those to me sort of kind of sounds like it would fit what you'll try to present and your vocal type.
Back to top Go down

Advice: Vocal Demo
Page 1 of 1