Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Empty
PostSubject: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 8:02 am

I just found out Tolkki is coming up with a sequel to the really (surprisingly) good Land of New Hope.

Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Avalonangelscd

Here's the new video for Design the Century:

Blabbermouth

The amazing cast of vocalists appearing this time includes NIGHTWISH singer Floor Jansen — who takes care of the lead vocals on the first single, "Design The Century" — along with Simone Simons (EPICA), Fabio Lione (RHAPSODY OF FIRE), David DeFeis (VIRGIN STEELE), Zachary Stevens (ex-SAVATAGE, CIRCLE II CIRCLE), plus Elize Ryd (AMARANTHE) — who appears again after contributing to the first album — and the stunning Chilean singer Caterina Nix

Track list:
Spoiler:

I pre-ordered immediately. Other fans?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 10:03 am

Love me some Timo. Smile Can't wait to hear this!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 2:23 pm

I was extremely annoyed with this guy. After his whole campaign he had going to make 2 albums that I put money towards and then he dropped them both to do this project. I kept my money with it to put towards the last album and I didn't get a thing. I emailed him numerous times and they were going to take care of it but in the end I got nothing and I vowed to never buy any of his crap again. Unfortunetly this album sounds like its going to be good and I might have to take back what I said, but I'm still annoyed. haha

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 6:46 pm

I just gave this my first listen and I'm left underwhelmed. There's something really wrong with the mixing and mastering of this album. Just listen to that David DeFeis song...

The first Avalon album was perfect, what happened?

After two listens... I can find things I like here and there, there are some nice melodies and some of the singers put out good performances (despite the mix), but I'm still disappointed.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 7:46 pm

Sounds cool! Too bad CDs just don't fit into my budget right now. Otherwise, I'd be all over this (and of course, several other releases).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 11:10 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Sounds cool! Too bad CDs just don't fit into my budget right now. Otherwise, I'd be all over this (and of course, several other releases).
I don't know if you read my post above, but I'm just going to advice you now to not even bother with this album. The bass sounds awful and the drums are thin and whoever mixed the vocals is either deaf or doesn't know how to operate the mixing board. Apparently according to credits that's Timo Tolkki himself. But since we've heard him produce top notch albums before, albums that sound good, there might be more to this.

This is demo quality. No excuses. Knowing Tolkki and his demeanor, maybe he just never finished this project because of whatever, but then the label just put this thing out unfinished?

That first Avalon album is still amazing and a must-have for metal fans. Great sound, great songs, Rob Rock, Russell Allen, Michael Kiske, Sharon den Adel, shred guitar, all metal... maybe it was too good to be true?
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 5:19 pm

I sort of steered away from this project as I'd just gotten into Avantasia and couldn't help but notice a similarity between an album with "Tobias Sammet's Avantasia" as a scripted, gold logo and Michael Kiske on guest vocals and an album with "Timo Tolkki's Avalon" as a scripted logo with Michael Kiske on guest vocals. It just came off like bandwagon jumping, but maybe I read too much into it.

And what's the deal with Tolkki? I've seen some stuff about him being bipolar and flaking out on projects and the like, but I don't know how much is rumor mill, direct talk or whatever.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 6:18 pm

He was diagnosed as being bipolar. However, apparently he went to rehab and is reported to have it under control.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 10:16 pm

I sampled the album a few days ago. I was interested in it at first but like Lari said the mix is bad and the songs aren't even good. shame cause the old members of stratovarius are one the album.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 11:28 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I sampled the album a few days ago. I was interested in it at first but like Lari said the mix is bad and the songs aren't even good. shame cause the old members of stratovarius are one the album.

That's not good news for the next Allen/Lande album. Let's just hope Timo steps up his game for that one (kind of wish Mangus was still doing it to be honest).
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2014 6:40 am

I gave it a few more spins, this time in the car. The lack of bottom end doesn't come across that bad sounding when in that environment. Maybe Tolkki mixed the album with terrible background noise disturbing his work?

I actually think he was going for that early Stratovarius sound. Kind of thin, but punchy. I could live with that. The songs themselves are 'okay'. Nothing quite as catchy as what the first album had, but it's pretty good for epic flower metal. At least the title track works quite well for me.

But the vocal mix is still poor and unacceptable.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 am

"Epic flower metal?" Are you sure you didn't mean "epic flour metal?" I mean, there's a big difference between tunes for creating a tiered garden of man-eating plants and tunes for creating a cake you need to fight to the death before you can eat it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse   Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Angels of the Apocalypse
Page 1 of 1