Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Films of 2014: Summer

Go down 
+9
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
Boris2008
iamrockerfun
tohostudios
Witchfinder
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Even if people did expect an "accurate" depiction of the biblical story, that doesn't mean they have to be up in arms on code red and declaring it to be an assault on religious American soil. The overreaction is unnecessary, silly, and divisive, especially since it's in tandem with all the excessive, unwarranted praise for God's Not Dead.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7606

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 4:19 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Even if people did expect an "accurate" depiction of the biblical story, that doesn't mean they have to be up in arms on code red and declaring it to be an assault on religious American soil.

Who said they should be up in arms or that their reactions were proper?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 4:30 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Even if people did expect an "accurate" depiction of the biblical story, that doesn't mean they have to be up in arms on code red and declaring it to be an assault on religious American soil.

No one, just tacking a point onto yours. Poorly worded, sorry. Smile
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7606

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 4:35 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

No one, just tacking a point onto yours. Poorly worded, sorry. Smile

No problem.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 4:40 pm

I have zero interest in "Noah"...but I am getting major chuckles over the religioso's reactions to it ("The director's a WITCH! BURN HIM!")

Maybe they should've stayed home and rented "Evan Almighty" instead. Oh, wait, that one's not "accurate" either.....

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 4:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Maybe they should've stayed home and rented "Evan Almighty" instead. Oh, wait, that one's not "accurate" either.....

Oh, man, but I remember being involved in the church when that movie came out. Everyone raved about it being the next Citizen Kane.

(cool avatar, FF).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 4:56 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Oh, man, but I remember being involved in the church when that movie came out. Everyone raved about it being the next Citizen Kane.

(cool avatar, FF).

The only thing Evan Almighty accomplished was being a spectacular flop, I bet the studio had to write off over $100 million for that turkey.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 5:06 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have zero interest in "Noah"...but I am getting major chuckles over the religioso's reactions to it ("The director's a WITCH! BURN HIM!")

\

Or Ten Commandments, or The Passion Of The Christ, or The prince Of Egypt or Son Of God.... none of which are "accurate"........

When Ridley Scott's Exodus starring Christian Bale as Moses is released in December, the same posts will be out there.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 5:18 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

Or Ten Commandments, or The Passion Of The Christ, or The prince Of Egypt or Son Of God.... none of which are "accurate"........

When Ridley Scott's Exodus starring Christian Bale as Moses is released in December, the same posts will be out there.

For that audience you have to make simple, straight-forward films that cater (cower) directly to them and doesn't make them actually think or question any of their preconceived notions. If you do that (Son Of God, God's Not Dead) even if the film is a complete offensive crock of shit (God's Not Dead) they will jump up and down and praise and hand over their hard-earned money.

But if you try to question anything, or get them to possibly think about things in a new way...LOOK OUT! BLASPHEMER!

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 5:26 pm

silent 
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Actually, all the fuss over Noah is starting to make me want to see it.  I want to see what everyone has their panties in a wad about.  Plus I'd just like to form my own opinion about it.

One of my all-time favorite movies is Monty Python's Life Of Brian and I remember the furor that erupted when that came out.  When I saw it I understood what all the fuss was about.  The movie doesn't mock Jesus; it mocks religion and its pomposity.  The only part that I found slightly offensive was the crucifixion scene at the end.  But that leads into "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" so any offense went right out the window.

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 7:13 pm

I remember living in Macon Georgia in 1988 and having to drive all the way to Atlanta to see The Last Temptation of Christ because it was banned everywhere else in the state. Then having to walk through a mob of supposedly "Christian" protestors telling us were were going to burn in hell for watching the film, that we would be judged and punished as we deserved for daring to watch such blasphemy. Nothing like having a bunch of people with supposedly "Christian" values screaming violently at you when you just want to go into a theater and watch a film.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 7:21 pm

S.D. wrote:
I remember living in Macon Georgia in 1988 and having to drive all the way to Atlanta to see The Last Temptation of Christ because it was banned everywhere else in the state.  Then having to walk through a mob of supposedly "Christian" protestors telling us were were going to burn in hell for watching the film, that we would be judged and punished as we deserved for daring to watch such blasphemy.  Nothing like having a bunch of people with supposedly "Christian" values screaming violently at you when you just want to go into a theater and watch a film.

Yeah I know.  I consider myself a Christian but I'm frequently ashamed by the behavior of others also making that same claim (see the Fred Phelps thread).  If the zealots want to protest, do it in a loving way; don't tell people they're going to burn in hell just for seeing the movie. 

Of course if they were reasonable, thinking human beings with a tolerance for opposing viewpoints and intelligent discussion I guess they wouldn't be zealots would they?

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 12:24 am

S.D. wrote:
I remember living in Macon Georgia in 1988 and having to drive all the way to Atlanta to see The Last Temptation of Christ because it was banned everywhere else in the state.  Then having to walk through a mob of supposedly "Christian" protestors telling us were were going to burn in hell for watching the film, that we would be judged and punished as we deserved for daring to watch such blasphemy.  Nothing like having a bunch of people with supposedly "Christian" values screaming violently at you when you just want to go into a theater and watch a film.

Last Temptation of Christ is the only movie that has successfully brought me closer in companionship with the Christ I know, because it actually makes the character of Jesus relevant and human while positing all these realistic ideas that, while not "biblical," command my complete empathy. Yet it got the same outcry Noah is getting.

Passion of the Christ did jack shit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 12:38 am

corplhicks wrote:

Last Temptation of Christ is the only movie that has successfully brought me closer in companionship with the Christ I know, because it actually makes the character of Jesus relevant and human while positing all these realistic ideas that, while not "biblical," command my complete empathy. Yet it got the same outcry Noah is getting.

I've always said if you cut off the ending of that film it wouldn't even be that controversial.  It was one of the more realistic and human portrayals I've seen.  An excellent film that treats the subject seriously and doesn't underestimate the maturity of the audience (which actually worked against it in this particular instance).  I can't imagine what kind of flack the author of the original book received when he released it in 1953!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 1:11 am

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I've always said if you cut off the ending of that film it wouldn't even be that controversial.  It was one of the more realistic and human portrayals I've seen.  An excellent film that treats the subject seriously and doesn't underestimate the maturity of the audience (which actually worked against it in this particular instance).  I can't imagine what kind of flack the author of the original book received when he released it in 1953!

Very true about the ending. And the controversy wasn't even controversial. It was beautiful. As for the book, I've yet to read it, but I like how Wikipedia lays it out:

"The central thesis of the book is that Jesus, while free from sin, was still subject to fear, doubt, depression, reluctance, and lust. Kazantzakis argues in the novel's preface that by facing and conquering all of man's weaknesses, Jesus struggled to do God's will, without ever giving in to the temptations of the flesh. The novel advances the argument that, had Jesus succumbed to any such temptation, especially the opportunity to save himself from the cross, his life would have held no more significance than that of any other philosopher. In this sense, the novel can be viewed as thoroughly orthodox and traditionalist in its attitude to Jesus's role as redeemer."

And because of this it was a banned book. This is more purpose and truth than any fundie, or Mel Gibson for that matter, could inject into their minimalist Easter Sunday sermon videos.

BTW I highly recommend this for Easter Sunday viewing, in case anyone can't tell lol.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 4:39 pm

This looks intriguing. Luc Besson is back to genre directing, it seems, and Scarlet looks...damn. Cool premise.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 4:51 pm

corplhicks wrote:
This looks intriguing. Luc Besson is back to genre directing, it seems, and Scarlet looks...damn. Cool premise.

I really, really hope that this is great. It's been a while since we've had anything great from Monsieur Besson.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

I really, really hope that this is great. It's been a while since we've had anything great from Monsieur Besson.

He only did three movies that I really like--Nikita, Leon, and Messenger--and Fifth Element was garbage except for the aesthetics. So I hope he can pull it off. He's not a genre director per se, but his visual command is pretty stunning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:26 pm

Besson produces so many generic action movies (Taken, Transporter, etc) hopefully he still has an interesting movie in him.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:37 pm

S.D. wrote:
Besson produces so many generic action movies (Taken, Transporter, etc) hopefully he still has an interesting movie in him.  

Most of the movies he's produced are shit. It's weird how he chose to be more prolific in that arena rather than directing quality titles. Money talks, I suppose...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 5:49 pm

This weekend Captain America opens and is projected to bring in somewhere between $85 & $90 million. No other movies are opening against it (I don't blame them).

However, indie hit The Grand Budapest Hotel will expand the number of theaters again this weekend to over 1200. The movie has been playing for a month in limited release and they have expanded theaters every weekend due to demand. So far it is Wes Anderson's biggest box office success to date, currently sitting at $73 million at the box office.

It's definitely the best movie I've seen in 2014 so far, worth seeing in the theater too.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 1:48 am

Yeah Captain America is looking pretty good so far. As for my initial wtf regarding the Russo's handling, critic James Berardenelli has this to say:

"The most obvious asset possessed by The Winter Soldier is that it isn't plagued by the rampant sameness that characterizes so many superhero movies. The decision to hand the reins to brothers Joe and Anthony Russo, whose resume consists primarily of TV work, is an indication that Marvel wanted to achieve a different aesthetic for The Winter Soldier. The Russos' deftness of touch is most evident in the quieter, character-oriented scenes. The action sequences, although capably handled, unfold without distinction."
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 11:36 am

S.D. wrote:

However, indie hit The Grand Budapest Hotel will expand the number of theaters again this weekend to over 1200.  The movie has been playing for a month in limited release and they have expanded theaters every weekend due to demand.  So far it is Wes Anderson's biggest box office success to date, currently sitting at $73 million at the box office.

It's definitely the best movie I've seen in 2014 so far, worth seeing in the theater too.  

I happened to see this on a recent Blu-Ray/DVD preview a couple of weeks ago, and thought it looked hilarious. I will be definitely be checking this one out.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 1:40 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

He only did three movies that I really like--Nikita, Leon, and Messenger--and Fifth Element was garbage except for the aesthetics. So I hope he can pull it off. He's not a genre director per se, but his visual command is pretty stunning.

I'm with you on everything other than the "Fifth Element was garbage" point. Unless by garbage, you mean awesome! But I also love Subway.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Films of 2014: Summer   Films of 2014: Summer - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Films of 2014: Summer
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next