Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)

Go down 
+8
Fat Freddy
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
GrandNational
corplhicks
Orion Crystal Ice
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)   Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
From what I understand, "Expendables 2" didn't do nearly as well as expected in the U.S., but it blew up bigtime overseas. Foreign markets are where it's at nowadays.

Same exact situation with the latest Die Hard movie, it performed far under expectations in the States (part of the blame might have been that it stunk to high heaven) but made a killing overseas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)   Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Here are the biggest flops of 2013 courtesy of Variety Magazine

The Lone Ranger - budget $250 million, box office $260 million
Ender's Game - budget $115 million, box office $87 million
The Fifth Estate - budget $28 million, box office $8.5 million
Jack The Giant Slayer - budget $195 million, box office $197 million
R.I.P.D. - budget $130 million, box office $78 million
Oldboy - budget $30 million, box office $4 million
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone - budget $30 million, box office 22.5 million
Bullet To The Head - budget $55 million, box office $9.4 million
Getaway - budget $18 million, box office $10.5 million
Battle Of The Year - budget $20 million, box office $13.7 million
Machete Kills - budget $33 million, box office $15 million
Peeples - budget $15 million, box office $9.3 million
White House Down - budget $150 million (plus another $100 million in advertising), box office $205 million
Paranoia - budget $35 million, box office $13.7 million
Beautiful Creatures - budget $65 million, box office $60 million
47 Ronin - budget - $175 million, box office $83 million
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)   Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 3:42 pm

Not surprisingly, but I haven't seen a single one of those. Half of them I never even heard of. And aside from maybe 'The Lone Ranger', I have no plans to see any of them either. Maybe 'Burt Wonderstone', if it was a particulary bad night on cable.

Any numbers coming in on that new Ben Stiller 'Walter Mitty' flick? The way they've been promoting the hell out of it tells me they might have the first big-budget flop for 2014 on their hands.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)   Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 4:09 pm

I still want to see Machette Kills - looks like fun! The only one I saw on that list was White House Down (on Blu-Ray) and ouch, for a "fun, action" flick it was bad and not a whole lot of fun... "Die Hard at the White House" was missing something important - a good script!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)   Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 4:14 pm

So far The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty has brought in $115 million from a $90 million budget, definitely not great but films can stay in the theaters a little while longer after the holidays. I don't think the film has opened in all the foreign markets yet either so it may be a few more weeks before a definite assessment could be made.

On a budget of $90 million you have to bring in roughly $225 million to start making a profit.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)   Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 5:03 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I still want to see Machette Kills - looks like fun! The only one I saw on that list was White House Down (on Blu-Ray) and ouch, for a "fun, action" flick it was bad and not a whole lot of fun... "Die Hard at the White House" was missing something important - a good script!

Funny that Olympus Has Fallen was released the same year. I haven't seen White House Down (it's Roland Emmerich so I don't plan on it) but I will say Olympus was far better than I expected.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)   Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 pm

corplhicks wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Funny that Olympus Has Fallen was released the same year. I haven't seen White House Down (it's Roland Emmerich so I don't plan on it) but I will say Olympus was far better than I expected.

"Olympus Has Fallen" was a movie that I kept looking at while perusing the video store the last couple of months. I finally took a chance on it, and I agree, it was better than I expected. I think it's due to the fact that I set the bar so damn low with this movie. Shockingly, it had some redeeming value. I think the "X" factor for me will always be the likes of a Gerard Butler. Whether it's fair or not, I'm not sure that I can take this guy seriously. With that being said, I can take him far more seriously then that of Channing Tatum, which is the main reason I won't pick up "White House Down", although Roland Emmerich is another good reason to stay away from that film.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)   Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 2:41 pm

Which one of the two "Die Hard in the White House" movies is the one with Morgan Freeman in it? Cuz that one's in my Netflix list, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)   Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Which one of the two "Die Hard in the White House" movies is the one with Morgan Freeman in it? Cuz that one's in my Netflix list, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Very Happy

Olympus Has Fallen. Let us know how bad it is, I'm sure as hell not wasting 90 minutes of my life to find out.  Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)   Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far) - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Biggest Flops & Most Profitable Hits from Summer 2013 (so far)
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4