Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slowing down...

Go down 
+3
James B.
corplhicks
Alex Dee Rokket
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 11:11 pm

So over the last several months I have been thinking more intensely about my own happiness, or at least what is it that bring me happiness in my life.

Since graduating from university, all I have been doing is working day in, day out. I leave home about 7.15am and get home about 12 - 13 hours later. Initially I was very excited about getting a job in a top company right after university. I was there for 2 years and more recently found a job in another top company. For a while there I felt like I had 'made it' - and what I mean by that, good money, could afford anything I wanted to get -CDs you name it.

However in more recent times I feel like I need to re-prioritize what it is that I value most in life. In fact the one thing I value most is how I spend my time rather than how much money I have and how I spend it. 'Stuff' that I thought brought me happiness only manages to excite me for a brief moment before I want to get more and more. I feel like I need to break this vicious circle and find something more meaningful in life.

This brings me to my next point - what I find most valuable that I don't have at all is time. I don't mean just time to laze around and do nothing (as much as I enjoy that too) but time to think, time to plan out my next move in life. All too often I feel like a robot - I wake up, work for 8 - 10 hours (depending on the day), come home eat sleep and rinse and repeat the next day.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same but as I'm about to turn 30 I think to myself what exactly have I achieved to date? I have been talking to a few people to date and many have encouraged me to think about opening up my own business. Maybe not right away but maybe also think about slowing down a bit, look at working together with someone already abit more established - expand my skills and knowledge a bit and try it out on my own for a while.

I am entertaining this idea at the moment. This was something I've had at the back of my mind for a while but I guess I kept filing it away for one reason or another.

After I finished university I felt like I needed to compete too much with my peers; it was subconscious - I wanted to work in a big prestigious company, get ahead of the pack etc. In short, a very materialistic mentality that ultimately ate away at my time and my friendships too. I remember the more humble times when I had less, and I was happier than I am now. I had a hunger in me for wanting to succeed and I must admit I have not had that hunger in some time. If anything I have become too complacent.

With going into business for myself, or with someone else, I am prepared to take a hit in a sense on the money I currently make but have more control over what I do and over my own time. I am realistic - I think it will be a bit tough for a while but I think the challenge of succeeding will be a lot more rewarding than being a slave to the grind. My aim here however is to capture a level of happiness and satisfaction, and not something quantified in money. I am looking at having more time to spend with my family and friends, and just enjoying life. The thought of ending up in an organization for 20 - 30 years and only realizing some of these things when I'm 60 years old freaks me out to no end.

I can't say that the direction of my career was all in vain. I don't think that would be a fair assessment of my situation. The last several years have been good for me financially, and I have been able to built up some very nice savings that will no doubt help in the future. However I think for the long-term I am looking for an exit sign - something that can turn my life around in a spiritual sense where I feel content and satisfied with myself, and not dependent upon earnings, titles, promotions and stuff like that.

Anyways thought I'd share this ...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 12:32 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
So over the last several months I have been thinking more intensely about my own happiness, or at least what is it that bring me happiness in my life.

Since graduating from university, all I have been doing is working day in, day out. I leave home about 7.15am and get home about 12 - 13 hours later. Initially I was very excited about getting a job in a top company right after university. I was there for 2 years and more recently found a job in another top company. For a while there I felt like I had 'made it' - and what I mean by that, good money, could afford anything I wanted to get -CDs you name it.

However in more recent times I feel like I need to re-prioritize what it is that I value most in life. In fact the one thing I value most is how I spend my time rather than how much money I have and how I spend it. 'Stuff' that I thought brought me happiness only manages to excite me for a brief moment before I want to get more and more. I feel like I need to break this vicious circle and find something more meaningful in life.

This brings me to my next point - what I find most valuable that I don't have at all is time. I don't mean just time to laze around and do nothing (as much as I enjoy that too) but time to think, time to plan out my next move in life. All too often I feel like a robot - I wake up, work for 8 - 10 hours (depending on the day), come home eat sleep and rinse and repeat the next day.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same but as I'm about to turn 30 I think to myself what exactly have I achieved to date? I have been talking to a few people to date and many have encouraged me to think about opening up my own business. Maybe not right away but maybe also think about slowing down a bit, look at working together with someone already abit more established - expand my skills and knowledge a bit and try it out on my own for a while.

I am entertaining this idea at the moment. This was something I've had at the back of my mind for a while but I guess I kept filing it away for one reason or another.

After I finished university I felt like I needed to compete too much with my peers; it was subconscious - I wanted to work in a big prestigious company, get ahead of the pack etc. In short, a very materialistic mentality that ultimately ate away at my time and my friendships too. I remember the more humble times when I had less, and I was happier than I am now. I had a hunger in me for wanting to succeed and I must admit I have not had that hunger in some time. If anything I have become too complacent.

With going into business for myself, or with someone else, I am prepared to take a hit in a sense on the money I currently make but have more control over what I do and over my own time. I am realistic - I think it will be a bit tough for a while but I think the challenge of succeeding will be a lot more rewarding than being a slave to the grind. My aim here however is to capture a level of happiness and satisfaction, and not something quantified in money. I am looking at having more time to spend with my family and friends, and just enjoying life. The thought of ending up in an organization for 20 - 30 years and only realizing some of these things when I'm 60 years old freaks me out to no end.

I can't say that the direction of my career was all in vain. I don't think that would be a fair assessment of my situation. The last several years have been good for me financially, and I have been able to built up some very nice savings that will no doubt help in the future. However I think for the long-term I am looking for an exit sign - something that can turn my life around in a spiritual sense where I feel content and satisfied with myself, and not dependent upon earnings, titles, promotions and stuff like that.

Anyways thought I'd share this ...

Coming from an introvert who went self-employed with no money in the bank, high levels of debt, no savings, a child on the way, and a total lack of understanding how business works--I originally wanted to be a rock musician, no joke--it's worth the work. I've grown a great deal to where my income is stable, my business has a great reputation here in CA, and I've learned more about the economy and business sense than even school could teach me.

Of course, I see you live in AUS, but according to my brother-in-law who lives near Melbourne, it's a much better place to operate SB than over here (especially here in CA) when it comes to sales--people are so much more receptive and open-minded than over here, especially when it comes to B2B. But from what I understand, there may be a small roadblock you'll encounter when it comes to Rudd and acquiring your ABN. It's been very difficult lately according to your industry type. Get past that and you'll do fine.

It's a big step and one that requires total confidence but also a larger dose of realism. Conceptually, you have to operate in the sphere of your vocation 24 hours a day. Also, retail is going to obviously require more capital and more load than something service-based. But what you're talking about, the time spent, can happen after some time. It took me the better part of two years, but after that I was able to take all of Dec to spend with my family, help my wife more with our special-needs son, and enjoy quite a few hobbies and interests. Of course, the relationships acquired throughout the years have been priceless. It's a good move, and you seem like a pretty intelligent guy who can more than manage.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12615

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 9:40 am

I moved from No. Calif to Montana in 2010 to get into a more friendly independent business atmosphere (at least for what I do) I got a contract delivering explosives to mines, which I did for a year and then got more trucks which are now contracted to work in The Bakken Oil patch of North Dakota. I also have a regular job which is seasonal (late April till Late Oct) It pays well enough, but my main reason for having it is for medical insurance and other benefits. My point being that often geography can play a major factor in decisions and oppurtunity. Then ya gotta look into benefits are lack thereof by going the self employed route. Hope the best for you.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 1:21 pm

James B. wrote:
I moved from No. Calif to Montana in 2010 to get into a more friendly independent business atmosphere (at least for what I do)  I got a contract delivering explosives to mines, which I did for a year and then got more trucks which are now contracted to work in The Bakken Oil patch of North Dakota.  I also have a regular job which is seasonal (late April till Late Oct)  It pays well enough,  but my main reason for having it is for medical insurance and other benefits. My point being that often geography can play a major factor in decisions and oppurtunity. Then ya gotta look into benefits are lack thereof by going the self employed route.  Hope the best for you.

Both good points. Right now I live in a state where my volume is peaked so if I move I lose a lot of opportunity; however if I were to move to a more SB-friendly state, the difference would be more than notable. And not having health insurance sucks. It's the worst thing about it. Of course, isn't AUS medicine socialized? Not sure if it makes much of a difference, though. Here premiums are through the roof, and are too costly for me. So we throw some cash into savings every month in case something happens. And my kids are covered under Medi-Cal. Still would love a family PPO though.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:29 pm

I think Alex works in corporate law, not retail, right? So he might not need that much capital to start with. Just a lot of connections. And the financial risk is smaller when what you're selling is your own know-how.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Lari wrote:
I think Alex works in corporate law, not retail, right? So he might not need that much capital to start with. Just a lot of connections. And the financial risk is smaller when what you're selling is your own know-how.

That's the best situation to be in. Professional consultation services are always in demand, and like you said, low-cap.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 6:08 pm

Do a lot of research. I read that 70% of new business starts don't last 2 years so know what you're getting into.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2013 6:21 pm

I understand the need to get off the grind. I'm in a similar situation where I've worked non-stop since college and I'm starting to think what is it that I really want from life. I wish I could make my own schedule and take it a bit easier and have a bit more time off for things that I'm interested in. I don't enjoy what I do and sometimes I wish I would have studied something more creative and less stressful, and I don't think I'm in no position to start my own business either. I can take a year off or something, but I have a mortgage and we're having a baby soon so it'd be stupid and selfish. Maybe in a few years time...
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 2:41 am

You might not want to hear this but you probably know that the time to invest and get your money compounding and working for you is when you are young. A little time at the grindstone when you are young and have the energy is a good way to set the stage for an early retirement and a low stress lifestyle in middle age. It's harder to get ahead when we are already older.
I know life is short and we never get back time we have lost, but I would say that if you can possibly stand it keep working hard now to set the stage for a comfortable slowing down, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Of course if you are miserable and stressed to the max nothing is worth that, but the fact is that being middle aged and not having set the stage while younger for financial security is a very stressful situation in itself. Just playing devil's advocate here. It sounds like you have marketable skills that might enable you to slow down and still be financially sound hopefully. I'd say be thoughtful and deliberate about the decision though.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 9:02 pm

I think what has been missing from my life is a relationship with Jesus. I am being serious and nor joking around or being cheesy. It is the spiritual void I am feeling and that's I think a big cause for my fears, frustrations and worrying. This is something I intend to change.

I am not talking about joining some cult. Just introducing a spiritual outlook on life and being thankful. Also realising my own limitations on life.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Makes sense man, i've been there.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 7:27 pm

I work a 9-5 in the corporate world for a very very large bank and I get the grind. The job is important as it pays the bills, but I realized that the 'prestige' comes along with long hours that in the end no one really appreciates after your gone. I used to do it but now I try to balance family, work, church and service.

Sponsored content

Slowing down... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slowing down...   Slowing down... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slowing down...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: