Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RUSH - The *official* thread

Go down 
+21
Wrecked Neck
chewie
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
mr.electric39
Runicen
QuothTheRaven
thejokeriv
Alex Dee Rokket
Svengo
stepcousin
MetallicSeminarian
Red Kitty
Dark Horseman
manny
corplhicks
Wurthless
exact33
James B.
journeyman
brokentulsa
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

RUSH - The *official* thread Empty
PostSubject: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Good news, Rush has finally gotten around to re-mixing Vapor Trails which has been in dire need of work since it was initially released. The original mix was done by Geddy Lee and he wasn't familiar enough with digital mixing and ended up making everything too hot and caused digital distortion throughout the album. The band has been unhappy with the sound since it was released and their fanbase has been asking about a remix for years.

RUSH - The *official* thread Rush_VaporTrails_Remix_Cover-800x800

“Vapor Trails was an album made under difficult and emotional circumstances – sort of like Rush learning how to be Rush again – and as a result, mistakes were made that we have longed to correct. David Bottrill’s remixes have finally brought some justice and clarity to this deserving body of our work,” says Geddy Lee.

“Every song has been given a new life, from the fire of ‘One Little Victory,’ ‘Secret Touch,’ and ‘Ceiling Unlimited’ to the melodic musicality of ‘Sweet Miracle’ and ‘How It Is’… these songs have been redeemed. Thank you David!”
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 2:57 pm

I read about this and plan to buy it. I also read they are putting together a Rush Boxset.....
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Wow, I always thought there was something off with the album. Never knew about Geddy doing the mix and the band not being happy about it, and yet I think I'm some kind of Rush fan. I can't wait to hear the remix.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 7:42 pm

journeyman wrote:
Wow, I always thought there was something off with the album. Never knew about Geddy doing the mix and the band not being happy about it, and yet I think I'm some kind of Rush fan. I can't wait to hear the remix.

I noticed the digital distortion immediately when the album came out, I still listened to it because it's a killer album, but I've always wished that the sound quality was up to the level of the material.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 1:17 am

thumbs up, let's hope for some 33 1/3 action

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 1:57 am

ill get it. I am interested to hear it cleaned up.

Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 2:07 am

This is one of the few Rush albums I haven't heard. Though I'll be interested to hear the remix regardless.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 12:00 pm

I haven't heard this album, although I haven't heard much from Hemispheres on. I'd be interested.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Vapor Trails was an important record for Rush. The band had been on hiatus for 6 years (Geddy and Alex both assumed they would never record again) because of the tragic deaths of Peart's daughter and wife. Rush decided to write the album together (instead of each member bringing in nearly completed demos) and there is a definite spontaneity to the arrangements. This was also the first Rush album in many years to be primarily guitar/bass/drums, almost no keyboards or programming was used.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 3:11 pm

journeyman wrote:

I on the other hand, thought the album sounded great and loved the songs. I am also looking forward to the remix, this see if I will notice the difference, being me, probably not!!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Great news. One Little Victory and Earthshine have been redone already for the retrospective albums and sound killer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Great news. One Little Victory and Earthshine have been redone already for the retrospective albums and sound killer.

The full album remix was done by a different engineer, so there will actually be 3 available versions of One Little Victory and Earthshine.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

I don't have the Retrospective album, but listened to the 90 second samples on iTunes and they do sound killer.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 9:55 pm

I will be picking this up. It never was one of my favorite Rush albums, but I can find something to like about pretty much every Rush album. One of my all-time favorite bands. I always discover new things in their music and I've been listening to them for over a decade.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 2:37 am

Rush - Vapor Trails Remixed

Stream here -> http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rush-remix-their-polarizing-album-vapor-trails-premiere-20130927

I'm listening to a stream of the new Vapor Trails Remixed and one of the first things that jumped out at me was all of a sudden there are guitar solos in some of the songs.  That was one of the things that Rush fans complained about when Vapor Trails was first released in 2002, now it appears Lifeson recorded solos for some of the songs but they were left out of the mix originally.  That was actually Lifeson's decision, he told Geddy that he didn't want any keyboards or guitar solos in the final mix.

Rush has always disliked the mix of that album and they have been planning to redo it for years, it really does sound miles better now.  The primary differences are the drums which sound HUGE now, much better EQ and balance in the mix.  Geddy recorded a ton of vocal tracks for this album and they have all been re-arranged in the new mix and sound very different, they even used different takes for Peaceable Kingdom.  The guitar and bass tracks also benefit from the improved EQ, each part has it's own sound space to exist in and can easily be discerned from one another. They have also used different guitar tracks in some of the songs.  Overall the album sounds much larger in scope, the stereo spread is much wider and the mix is more spacious.

It's very much a different album.  For the most part I would say this new mix improves the impact of the songs, although there are a few cases where I prefer the original mix even if the sound is inferior.

I will be keeping both versions but I think I'll be spinning this new one frequently for quite awhile.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 7:31 am

I usually don't rebuy albums I already own, but this will be one of the few exceptions
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 6:32 pm

I see.....RED!
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 10:41 pm

I agree the mix is overall much better but unfortunately the dynamic range is still nothing to write home about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Svengo wrote:
I agree the mix is overall much better but unfortunately the dynamic range is still nothing to write home about.
It's listenable, in the DR 7 to DR 8 range, it is still overall a huge improvement to the original release.  They are planning to release an HDTracks version which should have more dynamic range than the CD and will also be in 24bit.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 5:42 am

Does anyone have the Sectors boxsets ?

I own all the Rush albums but they are the 1997 Mercury remasters. I read that the albums included Sectors' boxset are newly remastered editions and sound different / better than the 1997 Mercury remasters. Can anyone confirm?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Does anyone have the Sectors boxsets ?

I own all the Rush albums but they are the 1997 Mercury remasters. I read that the albums included Sectors' boxset are newly remastered editions and sound different / better than the 1997 Mercury remasters. Can anyone confirm?
I haven't heard them but most of the feedback I've heard has been good. The best-sounding versions out there are the Japanese SHM-CD releases but they are very expensive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Rush has announced the release of "Clockwork Angels Tour" coming on DVD/blu-ray/CD on November 19th.

RUSH - The *official* thread 51nLYYFaBzL._SY300_

Geddy has stated in an interview that there are NO overdubs or any studio trickery, everything is 100% as it was at the concert. The running time is 3 hours.

Set One
Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force Ten
Grand Designs
The Body Electric
Territories
The Analog Kid
Bravado
Where s My Thing?/ Here It Is! (drum solo)
Far Cry

Set Two
Caravan*
Clockwork Angels*
The Anarchist*
Carnies*
The Wreckers*
Headlong Flight*/ Drumbastica (drum solo)
Peke s Repose (guitar solo)/Halo Effect*
Seven Cities of Gold*
Wish Them Well*
The Garden*
Dreamline*
The Percussor (I) Binary Love Theme (II) Steambanger s Ball (drum solo)
Red Sector A*
YYZ*
The Spirit of Radio

Encore
Tom Sawyer

Bonus
Limelight (soundcheck filmed in Dallas)
Middletown Dreams (filmed in Phoenix)
The Pass (filmed in Phoenix)
Manhattan Project* (filmed in Phoenix)
*With the Clockwork Angels String Ensemble

SPECIAL FEATURES
Can t Stop Thinking Big (25 min tour documentary)
Behind The Scenes (featuring Jay Baruchel)
Outtakes
Interview With Dwush
Family Goy
Family Sawyer
The Watchmaker (intermission tour film)
Office Of The Watchmaker (closing tour film)

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 4:29 pm

I've known about this for some time now and have had zero interest in it (live albums made after 1980 or so don't do anything for me). The claim of no overdubs, however, has me curious. Looks like a decent set list, too.

As for special features, what is Family Goy and Family Sawyer? Family Goy is an episode of Family Guy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 4:36 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I've known about this for some time now and have had zero interest in it (live albums made after 1980 or so don't do anything for me). The claim of no overdubs, however, has me curious. Looks like a decent set list, too.

As for special features, what is Family Goy and Family Sawyer? Family Goy is an episode of Family Guy.
There are quite a few artists releasing live albums without any overdubs these days, they usually proclaim it proudly in the promotional materials.

Not sure about the special features but in their recent concert DVDs Rush have included little comedic short films so I'm assuming these are similar.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 4:43 pm

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

There are quite a few artists releasing live albums without any overdubs these days, they usually proclaim it proudly in the promotional materials.  

Not sure about the special features but in their recent concert DVDs Rush have included little comedic short films so I'm assuming these are similar.
Saw the tour twice, I'm sure it's the pre-show clip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RUSH - The *official* thread   RUSH - The *official* thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RUSH - The *official* thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next