Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Female Pioneers In Metal

Go down 
+8
mc666
Vexer6
BearOnUnicycle
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Witchfinder
Boris2008
jstate
12 posters
AuthorMessage
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Female Pioneers In Metal Empty
PostSubject: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:00 am

LA Weekly's Female Pioneers In Metal
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2013/07/female_metal_pioneers.php

Happy to see Kate from Acid get some love and Dawn Crosby too.  Probably would've added The Great Kat and Wendy O. myself.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm

No Wendy = worthless list! angry 

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7612

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Where's Betsy Bitch?  

Was Wendy really Metal?  I always thought of her as a punk that flirted with Metal occasionally.  Either way, she kicked ass.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Wendy did release some solo metal albums. Her Plasmatics stuff was mostly punk.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 12:06 pm

She was a damn sight more metal than The Runaways!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Quote :
Was Wendy really Metal? I always thought of her as a punk that flirted with Metal occasionally.

The Plasmatics' Coup D'Etat (1982) was pretty damn metal. They even covered a Motorhead song on that record ("No Class").

Not only that, but "The Damned" off of that album spawned THE MOST BAD-ASS music video ever filmed:

Her solo album W.O.W. was more or less an '80s KISS album, with Wendy on vocals. It was produced by Gene Simmons, who wrote or co-wrote the bulk of the songs and played bass on the record (under a pseudonym). Eric Carr, Paul Stanley, and Ace Frehley also make appearances on it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Useless fact: Jutta Weinhold fits more than Doro as German metal pioneer, though, judging by popularity, doesn't reach any heights Doro were able to achieve, thus her appereance in the article is questionable to say the least. She is known to a couple of fans across the globe for fronting Zed Yago (whom I like more than Warlock) in late 80's and Velvet Viper after. But in 1982 there was Breslau, and some pop/rock stuff earlier in 70's:

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Quote :
Her solo album W.O.W. was more or less an '80s KISS album, with Wendy on vocals

That album is the perfect thing to blast for a top down on a summer day drive.  Thing is infectious.  

Quote :
Jutta Weinhold

Good call on that one.  Reminds me I still need to get The 4th Quest Album.

Of course all these women owe a huge debt to Suzi Quatro.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 11:04 pm

I would've included Karen Crysis, Meanstreak and Rock Goddess.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 2:32 am

Jo Bench from Bolt Thrower should be on any pioneers of metal list. Definitely within the top 10.

Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18944

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Debbie Gunn
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 3:05 am

In addition to aforementioned, that phony list also sorely lacks the following: Sabina Classen, Tam Simpson, Leather Leone, Lee Aaron, Ann Boleyn, Laura Bravo, Kari Rueslåtten, Masha "Scream" Arhipova
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 3:09 am

stormspell wrote:
Sabina Classen
She's always overlooked. So is Holy Moses for that matter.

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 8:13 am

Must be a 'women in thrash metal' thing because neither Holy Moses or Detente get the respect they deserve.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28453

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 10:17 pm

Leather Leone definitely should have made the list.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 10:49 am

Quote :
Must be a 'women in thrash metal' thing because neither Holy Moses or Detente get the respect they deserve

And in a lot of ways women in thrash was a lot more pioneering in terms of breaking through and gaining acceptance.
Back to top Go down
dirtracin1
Metal student
Metal student
dirtracin1

Number of posts : 140

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 2:29 pm

One name I didn't see mentioned. ..
Betsy Bitch of Bitch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Female Pioneers In Metal   Female Pioneers In Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Female Pioneers In Metal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: