Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best and Worst of Van Halen...

Go down 
+15
DeathCult
TheGooch
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
Troublezone
Tall Tyrion
Required Fields
Metal Misfit
the sentinel
stepcousin
journeyman
caniplaywithmadness?
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Best and Worst of Van Halen... Empty
PostSubject: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 9:05 am

Heard Intruder/Pretty Woman on the radio at the gym yesterday and man, it just sounded so good at the time. I had to pull out Diver Down and bring it in to work today. What is your favorite VH albums and least favorite?

I myself love the first four albums, but there is not denying the impact and power of the debut. I am not a big fan of the Hagar era of the band. Don't hate them, just never immersed myself into them enough to get into them. Van Hagar is really a different band than the Roth era stuff IMO. VHIII doesn't even register.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37652

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 9:24 am

As far as I'm concerned, VH ceased to exist after DLR left. I was never a big Hagar fan before he joined VH, so the combination did nothing for me. When my friends and I went to the Van Halen's Monsters of Rock tour back in 1988, we left before Van Halen even came on stage! (We were just there to see Metallica, Dokken and the Scorpions!)

My fave DLR albums are Van Halen II and Women & Children First.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 9:34 am

Talking Roth-era, I still love their debut the best. Not a bad song on there. Their others are great as well, but if I had to pick one for the worst, it would be Diver Down. Too many cover tunes, not enough original material. To me, it just seems like a record they threw together and rushed to get it out.

Hagar-era took me a long time to warm up to, but once I did, I found some really great songs. It's hard to compare them to the Roth years. It's really apples & oranges. They all stand up on their own pretty well, but if I was rating them, I'd say OU812 is my favorite and 5150 is the least fav (still good though).

Van Halen III should be wiped from existence.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

i've never been a massive van halen fan but i do like them. i've got the debut and then i got the 'best of both worlds' greatest hits. roth era is probably better but some of the hagar stuff is great as well (ie. poundcake, its about time)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 1:03 pm

The "debut" and "Fair Warning" rule! Roth-era only for me...with the exception of "5150".(which DLR was rumored to actually have been invoved in the writing of).Then,of course EVH's fretwork shined on every album i might add.

IronAge--
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 9:21 pm

I've always been a big Van Halen fan. I love the entire DLR era and really like the Hagar albums. I think the VHIII album was a bunch of jams thrown together with a singer picked for his ability and willingness to sing the entire catalog on tour. VHI is my favorite DLR and 5150 for Hagar. I wasn't sad to see Hagar leave. I think he was taking the band in the wrong direction. With DLR I hope they right the ship and bring the band back to glory.

I can't wait for the tour....
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 9:21 pm

IronAge wrote:
The "debut" and "Fair Warning" rule! Roth-era only for me...with the exception of "5150".(which DLR was rumored to actually have been invoved in the writing of).Then,of course EVH's fretwork shined on every album i might add.

IronAge--

I agree. there is no doubt that their s/t is their best and I loved II and Women/Children alot but I always considered Fair Warning to be the peak of their Van Halen-ness, everything great about the band came full circle on that album. Diver Down was hit-n-miss and 1984 was way too polished and contrived and everyone and their little sister was into them by then.
I remember being a huge VH fan back in 1979 and everyone was like "I dont like that new style of rock; gimme Ac/Dc and The Stones any day over that new VH crap!". Its kinda cool being a huge fan of a band long before the whole world decides to like em, eh?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 9:45 pm

I only own their first album but with 1984 (or somthing like this) this is the best.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 9:53 pm

Favorite: VH2 VH 1984 5150

Least Favorite: OU812 sick VH3 sick
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 12:39 am

Least Favorite: OU812 (Have never heard VH III)

Favorite: VH I
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28453

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 7:51 pm

I have only heard a couple of songs off of VHIII (it seems to be an almost unanimous verdict from those who have heard it that it's their worst album by far), and it's awful.

However, it wasn't Gary Cherone's fault it turned out how it did, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 12:10 am

Fair Warning would be my favorite, but any of the first four could be there, IMO.

OU812 is my least favorite. I've never heard III, either.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 8:43 am

Best - VH 1&2 and Fair Warning
Worst - VH 3
Just for the record i would take OU812 over 5150 and Diver Down is a pretty good record too!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 8:45 am

Little Guitars! Great song!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 10:37 pm

DLR ear is the best, but I do like the Van Hagar era - they released a VH III? - Just kidding - I didn't like that album at all

DLR in order of preference: VH1, Fair Warning, W&C1ST, VH2, 1984, Diver Down

Van Hagar in order of preference: For Unlawful CK, 5150, Balance, OU812
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 3:54 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

Flip VHI and Fair Warning and that's exactly how I would rank them as well. 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 3:55 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Flip VHI and Fair Warning and that's exactly how I would rank them as well. 🤘

Van Cherone just doesn't have the same ring, does it? Smile

Last edited by on Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 3:58 pm

lol! Not even close, although I kind of wish I had gone to see them live with Cherone.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 9:17 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
lol! Not even close, although I kind of wish I had gone to see them live with Cherone.

Not a hugh Van Cherone fan - he's a great singer, but wrong for VH
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 12:02 am

I like both eras of the band almost equally. David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar are both very comparable singers in their own rights. I've not heard Van Cherone yet.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 2:12 am

I can take Van Halen with either Roth or Hagar. Van Hagar was actually my first introduction to them so I kind of favor them (yes I know, Blasphemy). I never understood why people were so hard on Sammy when he joined. The name was Van Halen and Alex and Eddie were still there so people should not have blammed Hagar. If anyone should be blamed for the change in sound it was Eddie and Alex, it is their band after all. After Hagar left I really didn't listen to them anymore (except the old stuff). Not because Gary Cherone is a bad vocalist, I loved him in Extreme, but because I felt he was trying too hard to sound like Hagar instead of being himself. I guess that is also why I like Hagar, he remained himself instead of trying to sing like DLR.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 3:57 pm

i admit i own no vh albums what so ever but such a classic band they are means i have heard so many of their songs so i am more of a casual fan. same with aerosmith i know loads of songs from tv and radio but own no albyms by them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 6:45 pm

TheGooch wrote:
i admit i own no vh albums what so ever but such a classic band they are means i have heard so many of their songs so i am more of a casual fan. same with aerosmith i know loads of songs from tv and radio but own no albyms by them

I'm more of a 'casual' fan myself. I only own their Greatest Hits and for now - it's enough for me. Perhaps one day I'll have more of their stuff, but when I was in high school I never liked them much. Now that I'm older I'm getting into a lot of stuff I didn't like in high school though.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 6:51 pm

when i went to school i was a huge Queen fan. now i cant bear to listen to them anymore same with meatloaf who i was a huge fan off
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 6:56 pm

TheGooch wrote:
when i went to school i was a huge Queen fan. now i cant bear to listen to them anymore same with meatloaf who i was a huge fan off

I'm a casual Queen fan (have their Greatest Hits but that's it).

I don't care for Meatloaf either though.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best and Worst of Van Halen...   Best and Worst of Van Halen... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best and Worst of Van Halen...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next