Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for a decent turntable

Go down 
+4
Wargod
thejokeriv
Witchfinder
mikeinfla
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Looking for a decent turntable Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 5:43 pm

If there is already a thread about this please direct me there. Looking for a decent vinyl to CD turntable. Doesn't have to be USB it can record right to cd for all I care. I've read good and bad about Crosley. I have a friend who bought one and hated it but one of my albums that he ripped for me sounds pretty good (Gary Numan's Pleasure Principle and Devo's Are We Not Men We Are Devo). He has something a little different now that is USB only and doesn't do cassettes. I like the fact that the Crosley's are stand alone and he did too but he said that was the ONLY good thing about it. Also I am not wanting to dish out a lot of money. The cassette option would be nice but I already have a Sony tape deck hooked up to the computer and can covert using that. But as I said I would prefer a stand alone all in one unit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7612

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 6:20 pm

I went through this about a year ago and I decided on the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable. Here's a great review about it: http://www.soundadviceblog.com/reviews/audio-technica-at-lp120-usb-turntable-a-real-find-at-200/
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 6:33 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I went through this about a year ago and I decided on the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable. Here's a great review about it: http://www.soundadviceblog.com/reviews/audio-technica-at-lp120-usb-turntable-a-real-find-at-200/

I have that one also - I can highly recommend it
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks! I forgot to mention I need one that plays 78's along with 45 & 33.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:57 pm

I have the Audio-Technica as well very good turntable.

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:24 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Thanks! I forgot to mention I need one that plays 78's along with 45 & 33.

78s!!!?!?! What the heck are you listening to on 78, Grandpa?
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 6:43 am

HAHA! An old lady we know has some vinyl from the 30's and wants them transfered over. Said if we put them on CD we could have the mint condition vinyl,
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:33 am

Try a Dual 1219. It does 33, 45, 78 and has adjustable pitch. It's a solid built old German turntable/changer. The only weird thing about them is that it uses a sled(instead of using a removable headshell.), though if you have different sleds you can have different carts on each one, as well.

...and they are built like a tank. I have a 1219 that has a Grado GF3 cartridge with a 8mz stylus in it........ I also use a Pickering V15/AT1 with a 78 or a regular conical stylus(for beat up or older records. I can swap them out pretty easily). Worked on it myself and it sounds pretty good!!!! Damn I need to take a current picture of it..........

Here is a link:

http://www.dual-reference.com/tables/1219.htm

I have this one too:

http://www.dual-reference.com/tables/1215s.htm

If you want something a little more current, You can also get Technics SL-1200/1210 already modified for 78s here:

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

or get an existing one modified.

That Audio Technica one they have been recommending does 78 rpm as well.

Make sure to use a 78 stylus on those shellacs and do not use alcohol to clean them, just soap and water, alcohol will do bad things to them........

Last edited by chewie on Sat May 25, 2013 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 11:36 am

mikeinfla wrote:
HAHA! An old lady we know has some vinyl from the 30's and wants them transfered over. Said if we put them on CD we could have the mint condition vinyl,

headbanger
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Hey mikeinfla,
Here is an Audio-Technica AT-LP120 playing an Edison 80 rpm diamond disc.

Hopefully this helps with your decision.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 2:45 pm

I tend to buy vintage for no other reason but the fact that I merely like vintage, but I hear a lot about Technica being the ultimate turntable mfr.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 7:33 pm

chewie wrote:
Hey mikeinfla,

I like that one! Reminds me of Technics that I used to use when I worked in radio. A technics was the turntable of choice for radio stations. This looks identical to it so if that's any indication it's probably a good turn table. I saw a SONY at Best Buy yesterday for $129.99. I know Sony does make some decent stuff and it looked on but when I picked up the display to check it out it felt like cheap Chinese plastic. Don't know where it was made. I left empty handed that day and its probably a good thing. I did ask the guy about Audio Technica and he said they could prob get one but I'd prob be better off front somewhere else since it seems that it isn't a regular item at Best Buy.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 8:02 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
chewie wrote:
Hey mikeinfla,

I like that one! Reminds me of Technics that I used to use when I worked in radio. A technics was the turntable of choice for radio stations. This looks identical to it so if that's any indication it's probably a good turn table. I saw a SONY at Best Buy yesterday for $129.99. I know Sony does make some decent stuff and it looked on but when I picked up the display to check it out it felt like cheap Chinese plastic. Don't know where it was made. I left empty handed that day and its probably a good thing. I did ask the guy about Audio Technica and he said they could prob get one but I'd prob be better off front somewhere else since it seems that it isn't a regular item at Best Buy.

I got mine (that exact one) from amazon. If you search around online, you can find it for a good price. I am VERY happy with it - it sounds better than the one I had before (JVC belt driven turntable)
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 9:01 am

Ok still browsing. Was wondering what te biggest difference is in the LP60usb vs. the LP120. LP120 certainly looks much nicer but I have no need for pitch control (and the LP60 doesn't seem to support 78's but I may be willing to skip this option for the right price and just do the old lady's LP's). Wink
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 10:08 am

This is the one I want and this company seems to have a good price on them compared to others. Plus they have some kind of payment plan. No interest but costs 15 bucks more.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTATPL120
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Got this for Father's Day:

Looking for a decent turntable 31kvbnYTZWL

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 8:50 pm

This is the model I have; Technics 1800MK2
Looking for a decent turntable Technics_sl1800
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Hey everyone thanks for the input. I finally ordered the AT LP120 from http://zzounds.com. They have it on a payment plan of 4 payments of $63. Not bad. I didn't not order an extra stylus. I'm hoping the one that comes with it will suffice for 33's & 45's. I know some of the reviewers on Amazon and Zzounds recommend the Shure 97 stylus as it tracks at half the grams. Has anyone had any problems with the factory stylus from Audio Technica? Thanks, I can't wait to get back into vinyl!
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Also I've heard good things about the DAK turntable that is not USB but comes with a nice little mixer at http://www.dak.com if anyone wants to see what they have to offer
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 12:53 am

Suhweeeeet!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 8:50 am

Also those of you with an LP120, do 180 gram discs need to have a different set up for the stylus? I noticed there are 2 that may come with. 120. A green stylus that tracks at 2 grams and a white one that tracks at 3.5. Really, what's the difference? Still waiting on mine it should deliver on Saturday!!! I also have my own preamp with a phono input but I will give the internal amp a shot and see how well it sounds. Some folks complain about it and others are happy to have it.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 9:26 am

mikeinfla wrote:
Also those of you with an LP120, do 180 gram discs need to have a different set up for the stylus? I noticed there are 2 that may come with. 120. A green stylus that tracks at 2 grams and a white one that tracks at 3.5. Really, what's the difference? Still waiting on mine it should deliver on Saturday!!! I also have my own preamp with a phono input but I will give the internal amp a shot and see how well it sounds. Some folks complain about it and others are happy to have it.

Not that I am aware of...... I also changed out to the Shure (97 I think)
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 11:52 am

I read some more of the fine print on my order. The LP120 now comes with the green 95E stylus which tracks at 2 grams and is comparable to the Shure 97. In fact they are the same price if you order that style. I've read where this type of stylus is much better than the one that came with the turntable last year.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2013 3:13 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
I read some more of the fine print on my order. The LP120 now comes with the green 95E stylus which tracks at 2 grams and is comparable to the Shure 97. In fact they are the same price if you order that style. I've read where this type of stylus is much better than the one that came with the turntable last year.

Mine came with the older one, which is why I upgraded right away
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Mine came in today and sounds good, however now it is skating across the album for reasons I dont understand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a decent turntable   Looking for a decent turntable Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for a decent turntable
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Collector's Corner-
Jump to: