Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...

Go down 
+6
Boris2008
kmorg
kyleblack
Eyesore
stormspell
Temple of Blood
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Empty
PostSubject: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 am

... didn't want to be associated with Satanism.

http://sendbackmystamps.org/2012/03/14/brain-damage-zine-2-california-usa-1985/celtic-frost-drummer-ad/
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 2:40 am

Ultimately Tom G Warrior was a closeted hair metal dude. He managed to get close to his true nature with Cold Lake, but sadly it was too late, and he had to revert to the evil image in order to keep selling albums Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 2:42 am

I don't get it. surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 2:59 am

CF never really used satanic imagery/lyrics in their early days, go look at promo pics from '84/'85 and you won't find them wearing upside-down crosses or anything.

If you read the lyrics to the song Morbid Tales it's Lovecraft-inspired, they were going for the dark/horror vibe but you won't find anything "pro-Satanic".
Back to top Go down
kyleblack
Metal student
Metal student
kyleblack

Number of posts : 159

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 3:18 am

Using a painting of Satan with a Jesus slingshot for your album cover isn't?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 4:11 am

kyleblack wrote:
Using a painting of Satan with a Jesus slingshot for your album cover isn't?

Ha! I forgot about that one. lol!

Still, it was an already published H.R. Giger painting they licensed for the album. It's all horror imagery used as a marketing gimmick to sell a few more records, I never took that stuff seriously as a teenager and definitely don't as an adult.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 4:43 am

Yeah, Celtic Frost were as Satanic as Alien. Laughing

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 4:46 am

It is rather peculiar, as they were very much a part if that early Satanic metal movement. But I can't remember that they ever claimed to be a Satanic band, like say Venom or Bathory. Sure, they influnced the movement, and were friends with all these other bands, but that don't make them a satanic band themselves.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 5:40 am

My cousin has interviewed Tom Fischer a few times over the years and apparently he's pretty good at changing his story to suit his needs at the time. I have seen very early CF interviews and they go to great lengths to stress that they were NOT a Satanic band, I think that they wanted to move away from the Hellhammer image and being (ridiculously!) labeled 'Venom clones' but as others have mentioned, some of the imagery did come pretty close with some of the record covers (Emperors Return, To Mega Therion)

Image wise I think that they really influenced the early BM scene as I think that they were the first band to use the Viking/Tribal Warrior look in extreme metal (A custard pie in the face to anyone who mentions Manowar!)
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 10:59 am

I didn't see anything inaccurate about the cover for 'To Mega Therion'. It sums up the state of how Christianity is utilized so often.

CF were too intelligent to be mere drooling Satanists and that's one reason they hold appeal with their hardcore fans.

Even Warrior in the present day, with the darkness he's going through and exploring, is still more respectable in his beliefs than 99% of the caveman RELIGION BAD! metal crowd.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 9:01 pm

They always seemed more horror based than really based in satanism. Same goes to Immortal in a way.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 10:20 am

Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Celtic-frost-2

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 1:47 am

Scott, that was cool, thanks for sharing that. How'd you come across the article?

If one were to sit and read through CF's lyrics, they would find more thought provocation than any other metal band out there. TGF was a philosopher, not a satanist, nor witch, nor anything "black" for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...   Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting to me that a band that helped created Black Metal ...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: