Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Radio Birdman

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 2:28 am

Just throwing a band out there, Radio Birdman are one of the greatest Australian rock n' roll bands ever yet are so underrated or unknown. Formed in Sydney in the mid 70's Radio Birdman combined the late 60's Detroit garage metal sound of The Stooges and MC5 with the enigmatic hard rock of Blue Oyster Cult with also throwing in liberal doses of the Stones, Flamin' Groovies and Surf music to come up with something that can be loosely described as punk rock (although the bands hates/rejects that term). Along with the Saints, Radio Birdman created original punk rock while being independant of the the other punk movements of New York and London. They had nowhere to play because they were rejected by music venues based on that they didn't fit the status quo of what was popular so they actually took over management of a pub and rechristened it the "Funhouse" in obvious reference to the Stooges 2nd album, there they played independant of the Sydney music scene and gathered a cult underground following. They released 2 albums and an EP in their initial run of 5 years between 1976-1981. They have since reunited like the Stooges and released an album last which recieved positive reviews, they recently were inducted into the Australian music hall of fame joining AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, The Saints, The Angels etc. Their debut album Radios Appear (1977) is a classic garage punk hard rock album of the 70's and a must own for any fan of 70's underground rock n' roll particuarly bands like The Stooges, Flamin' Groovies, New York Dolls, Sex Pistols, Ramones etc.

Radio Birdman Radio

Videos

Radio Birdman - Aloha Steve & Danno

Radio Birdman - TV Eye (Stooges Cover)

Radio Birdman - Descent Into The Maelstrom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhS7jNaUWoE

Radio Birdman - What Gives?, Descent Into The Maelstrom and interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIjYhLKb7c

Radio Birdman - Burn My Eye, Search And Destroy (Iggy And The Stooges Cover) and Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQBXVOBN_G8

Radio Birdman - New Race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIkod60zViM

Last edited by rattpoison on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 3:25 am

Hmmm...never heard of them. I dig it, though. Very 70s punk-sounding, but that's fine. I love punk. I was just listening to clips on lala of the new album (2006) and it sounds really frickin' good! They're insta-ships there, though, good if you're ship it, not if you want to receive it.

I'm definitely gonna add this band to my already-too-long list! Thanks, bro! Good call.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 3:32 am

Thanks mate, i just love the Birdman. Still going round putting on high energy rock n' roll shows. I've always said that in the 70's the US had the Ramones and Dead Boys the UK had Sex Pistols and The Damned and Australia had The Saints and Radio Birdman. Radios Appear is their classic album, it matches anything that came out in '77.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 9:46 am

I've heard them on sattelite radio (Little Steven's Underground Garage show) and I've liked what I've heard. I'm not rushing out the door to get their stuff, but it's good rock n' roll. It's a shame that they didn't get the recognition they should have. Unfortunatley, it's yet another good band that I just don't have the money/time to invest. These dang message boards are costing me too much money!! Every day, another good band suggestion!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 2:40 am

I think I might have to seek this out. I got burnt out on most of the "classic" punk bands during the fad itself; so now I'm more into bands that were on the fringes of punk/glam; like The Heavy Metal Kids, DMZ, or The Dictators. Sounds like Radio Birdman is right up that street. Thanks mate!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 3:00 am

Oh yeah definately, Radio Birdman was on the fringe of punk in the 70's. They weren't copying the movement they didn't know it existed they were just holed up in Sydney reworking the Detroit sound and adding BOC and Surf music touches to it. DMZ is a good comparison, although heavier you could call both of them purist garage rock more than punk. In a way DMZ and Radio Birdman could be called Garage Rock Revival in the 70's, way before that term was used for bands of today such as the Hives.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 9:50 am

Never heard of 'em but if they have a Ramones vibe then I'm definitely interested in checking them out!!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 2:24 am

I found a copy of Radios Appear, and it's been collected.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 6:50 am

Alex Harvey! let me know what you think.
Bit more trivia to add on:
- The name Radio Birdman derived from a misheard lyric in The Stooges song 1970 (The actual line was Radio Burnin').
- The album name Radios Appear came from a lyric in the Blue Oyster Cult song Dominance And Submission.
- Radio Birdman Guitarist Deniz Tek, Bassist Warwick Gilbert, Singer Rob Younger formed a supergroup with Dennis Thompson (MC5) and Ron Asheton (The Stooges) called New Race and recorded a live album The First And Last in 1982.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 2:50 am

Well, this just kicks buttocks. Unique. Never heard anything like it.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 3:20 am

Yeah its quite awesome they really blur the lines between surf, garage and metal. Love Kills and Aloha Steve And Danno are my favourite tracks. Love Kills reminds me of Gimme Danger off of Raw Power. Get their new comeback album from 2006 called Zeno Beach its great aswell. I actually saw them last night supporting the Hoodoo Gurus and they were blistering really heavy live and their all in their 50's.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 10:53 pm

Why the hell not, bump!

Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 2:28 am

Woo '77 punk/rock n' roll/hard rock.

Found this little bit of history on the net the other day.....

"What is not wanted: bands who play sh*t like Quo, Purple, Queen, Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Bad Co, Ted Nugent (post 72), Bowie. In short any of the crap anyone can hear anywhere in this boring burg."

-- quote from Radio Birdman's ad looking for acts to play at their Funhouse gigs.

Check this little ditty about the TV show Hawaii 5-0......

Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:16 pm

Dang, I thought this was going to be a thread on Harvey Birdman.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:02 am

MG you given Livin' Eyes a spin yet?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 4:14 pm

rattpoison wrote:
MG you given Livin' Eyes a spin yet?

I have and I like it allot. I'll be on the lookout for more of their stuff, for sure.

Radio Birdman Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radio Birdman   Radio Birdman Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radio Birdman
Page 1 of 1