Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The early Judas Priest albums

Go down 
+43
candlemass
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
jettafiend
BearOnUnicycle
Chrome Locust
SAHB Healer
tul
kmorg
sheets
Gilbert
AchrisK
80s Metal Lady
Vexer6
brokentulsa
jstate
Shawn Of Fire
MEGATRON
stepcousin
Wurthless
journeyman
tohostudios
Lari
thejokeriv
SpectreFate
EvyMetal
Boris2008
ultmetal
Wargod
Dark Horseman
chewie
James B.
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
Orion Crystal Ice
sidmaximus
manny
MetallicSeminarian
MoonChild
stormspell
Alex Dee Rokket
luckymallet
47 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
luckymallet
Metal novice
Metal novice
luckymallet

Number of posts : 9

The early Judas Priest albums Empty
PostSubject: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 am

xxx

Last edited by luckymallet on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
luckymallet
Metal novice
Metal novice
luckymallet

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 4:58 am

xxx

Last edited by luckymallet on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 5:25 am

I think you will find plenty of people defending the early Priest albums.

Granted, Rocka Rolla was not a defining album by any means nor a representation of the band's sound. Priest's signature sound came with Sad Wings of Destiny. Songs like The Ripper, Victim of Changes and Tyrant were the foundation for Priest's heavy metal sound and the twin guitar attack of later albums.

The albums that followed: Sin After Sin, Stained Class, and Hell Bent For Leather only helped fuel the heavy metal sound further. All those releases were very influential on the NWOBHM style. But more importantly, the songs are classic metal songs. Nothing generic to be found on any of those albums - stuff like Exciter, Starbreaker, Hell bent... all those fast paced songs were unheard of at the time.

I would definitely recommend you check out more from Priest to get a better understanding of what they are all about.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 5:34 am

Judas are a top five band for me, but to defend them against such hopeless case of blatant ignorance? Thank you but no thanks. Stick to whatever ur listening to and be happy, peace.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 7:23 am

Judas Priest is in my top 3 favourites ever.

But I will have to agree that their "early" albums were a bit "out-of-my-taste" but the Tipton-Downing guitar duo keeps me addicted to them no matter what. Even if I never like a Priest song, I always liked the "guitars" and how it sounds.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 am

I pretty much love all priest, but "sad wings" through "hell bent" is probably my favorite era of their music. I don't find anything average about these albums. I think they were pioneering metal albums.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:31 am

I completely disagree, even 'Rocka Rolla" which showed the band may not been exactly ready for prime time, still has some great songs on it, and the band had a huge winning streak in terms of songwriting, artistic accomplishment from 'Sad Wings of Destiny" to "Defenders of the Faith" very few bands can match the Priest discography during this same era.
Back to top Go down
sidmaximus
Metal novice
Metal novice
sidmaximus

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:33 am

Judas Priest - Dreamer Deceiver from Sad Wings of Destiny album.

I've never been a priest fan but when I heard this song, I was blown miles away and I became a fan in an instant.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:42 am

If you wanna, like, not be metal, and not listen to old Judas Priest, I guess you can, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 am

I have to admit, I wasn't very enamored by the earlier Priest material when I first heard it. I really only liked British Steel and after. But when I started upgrading to cd I decided to get the entire discography and something about those albums just clicked with me. I'm not sure what it was I didn't like in the beginning but that was long gone. Really good stuff. I should add though that I still haven't gotten Rocka Rolla yet (never even heard one note from it).
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 9:23 am

Judas Priest is my favorite band, and their 70s material is some of the best Heavy Metal ever produced. Stained Class is a masterpiece of epic proportions. Rocka-Rolla has some gems on it such as this:

How could any metalhead NOT like Sad Wings of Destiny? It's the template for traditional heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 9:30 am

I prefer their early stuff (say, from the debut up to SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE) over most of what came afterwards.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 am

IMHDO Priest wrote better songs from "Rocka Rolla" thru "Screaming For Vengeance"

Albeit, not as fast, sporadic, and/or heavy as the albums they did afterwards or the other flavors of metal done by other bands. It is all subjective, especially considering you are asking alot of us who bought those albums as new releases (or pretty close) to it and put them on a turntable in a time when very few bands were doing anything like that. While you are looking back in hindsight and comparing it to whatever it is you are comparing it to.

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:37 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I prefer their early stuff (say, from the debut up to SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE) over most of what came afterwards.

Yeah, I completely agree with this.

My suggestion for people that have trouble with the earliest Priest albums is to start with Unleashed In The East, the beefier production and more "metallic" guitar sounds makes early classic tracks like Victim Of Changes, Genocide, Tyrant and The Ripper really shine. Unleashed was my doorway into the early Priest material and I still think most of the songs on it are the definitive versions.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:44 am

S.D. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

My suggestion for people that have trouble with the earliest Priest albums is to start with Unleashed In The East, the beefier production and more "metallic" guitar sounds makes early classic tracks like Victim Of Changes, Genocide, Tyrant and The Ripper really shine. Unleashed was my doorway into the early Priest material and I still think most of the songs on it are the definitive versions.

I bought 'Rocka Rolla' and "Sad Wings ", after getting "Screaming" for Christmas in 1983, but I agree 'Unleased" helped me get into those studio albums such as "Stained Class' and this is perfect intro to those early Priest classics.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 11:23 am

S.D. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Completely agree.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 11:28 am

Tyrant
Sinner
Saints In Hell
Starbreaker (Unleashed In the East version)
Stained Class
Beyond The Realms of Death
Dreamer Deceiver
Diamonds and Rust

woo
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Completely agree.

.....and Les Binks drums on it!!!

Last edited by chewie on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Quote :
Fat Freddy wrote:
This. I like stuff after too and some of it a lot.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 2:41 pm

I to prefer the early early Priest albums just something about Judas Priest early on before they got huge!

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 3:17 pm

I prefer their early catalog to the 80's stuff. With the NWOBHM movement, Priest actually had to 'dumb-down' their sound some. The arrangements and riffs weren't quite as complicated as the 70's material. I mean, I love "British Steel" but there is no doubt that songs like "Breaking the Law" and "Living After Midnight" don't compare to stuff like "Dissident Aggressor", "Starbreaker", "Victim of Changes", "Dreamer Deceiver" or even "Never Satisfied" from the first album.

And Judas Priest is the definition of HEAVY METAL. This is exactly what I rant about constantly with people trying to strip the 1970's bands of their place in heavy metal history by making comments like, "seems like average hard rock music" or "it's just hard rock not heavy metal". Rather, those early bands were the creators of that hard-n-heavy sound. It use to just be American bands like Aerosmith, Ted Nugent and Kiss that people would argue against. Now I see it on discussion boards people saying bands like Saxon, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, UFO, Scorpions, etc. were never heavy metal bands but are "just hard rock". It's history revisionism.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Quote :
Fat Freddy wrote:
This. I like stuff after too and some of it a lot.

Oh yeah, almost all Priest is good Priest (with the exception of Demolition and some of Turbo). I'm not saying that they suddenly started sh*tting the bed after Screaming For Vengeance, and there are a lot of post-SFV songs that I dig, but for me at least a lot of their post-Screaming output doesn't hold up nearly as well as the vintage stuff.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 3:28 pm

ultmetal wrote:

And Judas Priest is the definition of HEAVY METAL. This is exactly what I rant about constantly with people trying to strip the 1970's bands of their place in heavy metal history by making comments like, "seems like average hard rock music" or "it's just hard rock not heavy metal". Rather, those early bands were the creators of that hard-n-heavy sound. It use to just be American bands like Aerosmith, Ted Nugent and Kiss that people would argue against. Now I see it on discussion boards people saying bands like Saxon, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, UFO, Scorpions, etc. were never heavy metal bands but are "just hard rock". It's history revisionism.

Oh, here we go again! At least we can all agree that Bon Jovi are definitely metal without any fear of controversy Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 3:29 pm

"The Ripper" is the best song of their's.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Oh, here we go again! At least we can all agree that Bon Jovi are definitely metal without any fear of controversy Laughing very hard

"You Give Love a Bad Name" is the ultimate death metal song of all time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The early Judas Priest albums   The early Judas Priest albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The early Judas Priest albums
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next