Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who still buys CDs?

Go down 
+29
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
jstate
Orion Crystal Ice
Troublezone
A Handful of Wayne
Addy
QuothTheRaven
DallasBlack
ohwellmonkey
adrian
tohostudios
brokentulsa
Boris2008
Vexer6
chewie
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
kmorg
EvyMetal
stevegarveyfan
James B.
AchrisK
manny
Fat Freddy
luckymallet
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 7:59 pm

I still buy cds in fact just got 2 last week

the new David Bowie and Pink Floyd's Meddle
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 8:25 pm

QuothTheRaven wrote:
I still want the physical product and it sounds like I'm not alone! I love used CD shops; the problem is they are becoming a thing of the past. The only consistent place I can find stuff is on Amazon.
Yep, most of the local record shops around here have gone the way of the dinosaur. Besides the used CD selections in those stores the other thing I miss most are the "employee listening posts". Remember the days when record store employees had their own listening post where each employee would load one of their favorite CDs? I found so many bands I'd have never heard of that way.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 9:46 pm

I still buy cds. Just got a few the other day and I'm about to order some more since I got a few gift cards for my birthday headbanger

I do download but its just not the same. Funny thing is, if I do download something, theres a chance that I might not listen to it. Theres just something about owning the cd or the vinyl that makes me want to listen to it more. Whether its just looking at the artwork or reading the liner notes while listening to it.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 10:12 pm

I'll keep buying CDs as long as they make them. I like to have the physical product with the artwork and lyrics.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 11:34 pm

ummm, like totally me, I just got one in the mail (Tarot's Myst - Odyssey).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 12:17 am

I still prefer owning the physical item but it's not nearly as important to me as it once was. I will generally look at the artwork, read the liner notes once...then rip it to the computer and the CD will collect dust on the shelf from that point forward.

These days I'm most interested in sound quality and with modern CD mastering being more interested in being LOUD than actually sounding good CDs have become my least favorite medium.

By order of preference here's what I like to buy circa 2013...

1. Blu-Ray, SACD or Hi-Rez downloads (24bit/96khz)
2. LP
3. Audiophile CD (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, Audio Fidelity, etc)
4. CD

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 12:37 am

I have 30 yeat old cassettes that sound just as good as a cd.

Remember the lies......

"cd's sound better than vinyl"

"cd's will last forever"

Yet I am stilla dumb @$$ and buy em still. Though I am grateful that some new releases by bands I dig are being released on vinyl.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 11:19 am

It is crazy what the buyers market on collectable/rare cds has become. This year I've scored stuff that was four or five times the price not long ago. Patience has paid off, but I do feel sorry for the people that waited to sell off their rarities. Now if the market for 80's rap rarities would only take a similar turn I'd be set.

Probably my collector OCD but I don't feel I own the music if I don't have a physical product in my hand. With downloads I have something to listen to, with cds I have something to listen/hold/look at. Stupid, I know. But that is where I'm at.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 11:50 am

jstate wrote:
It is crazy what the buyers market on collectable/rare cds has become. This year I've scored stuff that was four or five times the price not long ago. Patience has paid off, but I do feel sorry for the people that waited to sell off their rarities. Now if the market for 80's rap rarities would only take a similar turn I'd be set.

Probably my collector OCD but I don't feel I own the music if I don't have a physical product in my hand. With downloads I have something to listen to, with cds I have something to listen/hold/look at. Stupid, I know. But that is where I'm at.

yep. the times have changed!

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I'll keep buying CDs as long as they make them. I like to have the physical product with the artwork and lyrics.

Same here. I have no desire or need to go digital.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 3:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

x2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 5:14 pm

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

x2

*deep breath* CDs ARE digital. *exhale*

Razz
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 6:11 pm

I do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Physical media for me, be it cd, cassette, eight track, etc...

If I can't touch it, see it, smell it, taste it then its not "real" to me... Smile
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 11:57 pm

S.D. wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

x2

Razz

Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 30767358

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 8:32 am

S.D. wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

x2

Razz

Exactly. The only difference is on a CD you have one album encoded to it, while your hard drive or iPod can have thousands of albums encoded to it.

What a Face

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 9:54 am

Fine.

I still buy cds. I have no desire or need to do away with the physical media.

That better, you dicks?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:50 am

I still buy CDs... or should I phrase it as "I still buy the physical manifestation of an otherwise digital media" in order to avoid being bitch slapped? Very Happy

...I just ordered another pile of cheap used crap from Hastings a couple of days ago. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
asgard1980
Metal novice
Metal novice
asgard1980

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 4:18 pm

I still buy CDs. I want to see the artwork etc and if I give money for anything, I must have something in my hands. I´ll never pay money for dead mp3s. I only listen to mp3s (of my CDs) in my car or at work (via Kaidaer)

In my mind, buying mp3s at itunes, amazon etc isn´t much cheaper than buying Original CDs at amazon marketplace.

Back to top Go down
http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/asgard1980
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 11:11 pm

CD's for me. I am looking to purchase a good turntable and get some vinyl. I don't download unless it is songs for my kids.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 9:54 am

journeyman wrote:
. I am looking to purchase a good turntable and get some vinyl..

Do some research and make sure you get extra stylus' or that ones are easily available for whichever brand and model you get. Vinyl is on a comeback and in alot of places you can score used vinyl in good to great condition for fair enough prices.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 12:03 pm

I guess I'm gonna be forced to put my record out on vinyl. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Not a good idea. That makes it more difficult to rip, which makes it more difficult for me to download from my favorite South American blogs. I mean c'mon, you guys (and gal) don't need me to buy it. You have enough money.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 pm

I have bought around 45 cd's already this year.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 4:31 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

Then Shawn D. can use the cover for a rolling tray and not a frisbee crazy happy

PostSubject: Re: Who still buys CDs?   Who still buys CDs? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who still buys CDs?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2