Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cult Movie SOS!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 am

Okay this is a bit of a long shot but I know that there are a few serious movie bufs on here so I thought that I'd ask for help in finding a couple of movies that I saw ages ago and really liked but I've completely forgotten the titles of and can't find any info. Both films are from the 1960's

The first one was about a singer songwriter who gets himself a manager who I'm pretty sure that was the devil. From the moment he gets with the manager bad things start to happen to him and he ends up this mangled 'Phantom of the Opera' type character so the manager wants him to write songs for this young girl that he has moved on to, the songwriter falls in love with the girl and tries to save her from the manager.

The second film really is a long shot as I remember very little of it at all but it was set in a dystopian authoritarian future and was about this guy who had become the worlds biggest pop star, and this was used to control the population. In terms of being 'The tortured artist' the guy makes Kurt Kobain look like Billy Ray Cyrus and has to be forced out on stage (at gunpoint if I remember) and basically wails in agony. I think that it was supposed to be his pain that resonates with the population.

I haven't seen either of these films in twenty years and I can absolutely guarantee you that I would have been off my head on something when I saw them, but they have made a lasting impression so if anyone can offer any info, I'd be really grateful.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12590

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 am

Can't help ya out but I'd be interested in watching them perhaps. Good luck !

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 11:49 am

The first film sounds like it could be "Phantom Of The Paradise" directed by Brian DePalma, released in 1974.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 11:51 am

S.D. wrote:
The first film sounds like it could be "Phantom Of The Paradise" directed by Brian DePalma, released in 1974.

That was gonna be my guess too.

Second one... no clue. Almost sounds like it could've been a "Twilight Zone" episode or something similar.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks, yes that is the first one guys. Reading the synopsis I may have got a few details muddled but I've explained why I'm so hazy and it's definitely the one. cool
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2013 2:17 am

Oh hell!!!! Paul Williams is in that! What is he like 4 feet tall????? Maybe?
Back to top Go down

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 2:08 am

That second movie, could it be "Wild In The Streets" (1968)?

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 11:09 am

S.D. wrote:
That second movie, could it be "Wild In The Streets" (1968)?

Nope, but I want to see that one as well now! Thanks for trying. Smile
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 5:48 pm

The second film was this

It looks as though I was very hazy on details again, but as it's on YouTube in full, I'm going to watch it now. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 1:42 am

Boris2008 wrote:
The second film was this

It looks as though I was very hazy on details again, but as it's on YouTube in full, I'm going to watch it now. Very Happy

That film is being featured in the Kubrick exhibit at the LACMA, they are showing a variety of lesser-known films made by directors with similar viewpoints as Kubrick.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 9:36 am

S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
The second film was this

That film is being featured in the Kubrick exhibit at the LACMA, they are showing a variety of lesser-known films made by directors with similar viewpoints as Kubrick.

Yeah, that makes sense, it lacks the sheer style of Kubrick's best, but similar subject matter for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cult Movie SOS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cult Movie SOS!   Cult Movie SOS! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cult Movie SOS!
Page 1 of 1