Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do you think about tablets being used in schools?

Go down 
+16
Sutekh
DallasBlack
Lari
brokentulsa
chewie
Dark Horseman
exact33
manny
Hadley
Addy
Fat Freddy
James B.
bassman
scottmitchell74
kmorg
jennyy
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jennyy
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 1

What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Empty
PostSubject: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 1:21 am

As the title says above, what do you think about tablets (like the Nexus 10 or iPad, as examples) being used in schools/education? In my opinion, I'm all for it. I have a Nexus 7, and it's honestly a really great tablet. I'm a high school student, and it does help aide me in school. I read a lot of eBooks on it, I use it during study hall for questions that require internet, I type essays on it using Google Drive, and much more. It's nice that I can do so much on one device so easily, and be able to pick it up later at home on my laptop. Tablets will be the future of education. They will save paper, make it easier to submit homework, and just make education more efficient.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 1:37 am

You're a 24 year old high school student?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 4:23 am

This has to be the most off first post on a metal board, ever! Lol

In Norway computers have been gradually taken over for paper in the higher education system for years. I think it is smart to use tablet, as they are cheaper and easier to transport.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 5:59 am

I'm old-fashioned, I guess, because I hate the idea, although it would be easier to carry just that one thing around.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 am

Several local high schools give the students an Ipad as a freshman, which replaces all their books.......I think it's a good idea other than this one thing.......no one learns how to actually write anymore.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12528

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 10:04 am

yeah, the writing aspect is what ruins it for me. I am not sure, but don't alot of those devices have auto-correct that cannot be taken off ? I have heard alot of nightmares regarding that. Ya know, taking time to go back and correct the auto-correct

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37558

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 12:03 pm

S.D. wrote:

If she's still in high school at 24... she's doing it wrong. Laughing very hard

As for the question... In theory it seems like a good idea but they haven't started the tablet revolution in my kids' schools yet so at the moment it's a non issue for me.

Quote :

Even more off topic than "Cheap James Taylor tickets?" \'arry \'eadbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 12:34 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D. wrote:

If she's still in high school at 24... she's doing it wrong. Laughing very hard

As for the question... In theory it seems like a good idea but they haven't started the tablet revolution in my kids' schools yet so at the moment it's a non issue for me.

Quote :

Even more off topic than "Cheap James Taylor tickets?" \'arry \'eadbanger

Unless shes lied bout her age......

to answer the question I think kids should learn the technologies of their day , etc but personally I dont see the need for a tablet
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 988

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 1:04 pm

They'd have to find some way to turn off wi-fi (maybe provide ones that dont have an internet browser), otherwise we'd have kids checking facebook,twitter,youtube, etc while theyre supposed to be studying.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 2:41 pm

One county away are testing that right now, and the test scores are higher then average, so I am all for it, as long it does not mean that my children will not be graduating high school at 24
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 2:51 pm

If they can prove better test scores, better grades, and not a decrease in behavior and manners...well...then I'd think a lot about it. My #1, #2, #3, etc...gripes with modern technology is how it's greatly changes human behavior for what I consider the worse, mostly in the areas of manners/courtesy and time management.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 7:57 pm

I think its a smart idea. I think it reduces costs for books, etc but it does a place a high priority on keeping the networks active and in tact.

We use the tablet for homeschooling and it helped a lot with my 5 year old reading and writing.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 9:18 pm

My kids have Ipads from their school. It's opened a hornets nest as kids have put stuff on them that the school isn't too stoked about.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 11:23 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
My kids have Ipads from their school. It's opened a hornets nest as kids have put stuff on them that the school isn't too stoked about.

i was reading too that schools can track twitter/facebook social media stuff better with school issued media.

Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 8:00 am

Hadley wrote:
They'd have to find some way to turn off wi-fi (maybe provide ones that dont have an internet browser), otherwise we'd have kids checking facebook,twitter,youtube, etc while theyre supposed to be studying.

Im sure they have some kind of security filter that prevents them from doing that. I know at my work they have one in place where you cant go to facebook and twitter, etc... I think that its a good idea IF it is beneficial. If not then they should still learn about this stuff as we live in a technological society but not high on the list of priorities as say Reading, Math, etc...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Addy wrote:
Hadley wrote:

Im sure they have some kind of security filter that prevents them from doing that. I know at my work they have one in place where you cant go to facebook and twitter, etc... I think that its a good idea IF it is beneficial. If not then they should still learn about this stuff as we live in a technological society but not high on the list of priorities as say Reading, Math, etc...

I do agree - people should learn to read and write without technology first.

chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 1:10 pm

This sounds great, in theory, but:
Will these just be for the rich schools or will poor schools get them as well?

What guarantee is there that these will not be stolen?

Will they be allowed to take these home?

My wife just told me that they will be getting some at the school she teaches at(she teaches English at a poor school) and thinks that it is a good idea.

I mean, no one broke into a school to steal textbooks, but iPads or tablets.........
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Last year the school district where I live bought every single student from kindergarten thru 12th grade their own personal tablet. they use them instead of paper and pencil and even their books and lessons are downloaded on the tablets. When they are done with their lesson they click the "done" button and it automatically grades the paper and sends all the info to the teachers laptop.
Personally I think all children should have to learn the old school way before they are given new technologies. If they don't everyone's signature will wind up like this.."X"
What if the technologies fail...its a matter of time. If the technologies fail we will be set back decades and only us "Old" guys will be able to get anything done.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 6:02 pm

brokentulsa wrote:

Personally I think all children should have to learn the old school way before they are given new technologies. If they don't everyone's signature will wind up like this.."X"
What if the technologies fail...its a matter of time. If the technologies fail we will be set back decades and only us "Old" guys will be able to get anything done.

where i work only the old guys do any work. The youngins spend all their time surfing on the web...

Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6305

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 7:13 pm

This must be a spam type of thing. Why, I do not know.

I sure had no complementary ipads at hi-school. We did get laptops for college (engineering) and that was supposed to be an amazing awesome thing to get for free back in 2001.

I can't say if it's a good thing or not. In my own experience it does make you waste a lot of time during lectures, but it's no different to desktop computers. The only difference is you can't take it home with you after class. For taking notes and stuff, meh, pen and paper work just as well. For things you really need it, like programming, math, stuff that doesn't necessarily work on another platform, it's a lot easier to have you work on one and the same computer and not have to port stuff for your presentation. Also closer to real life.

Though having to change systems is always fun for those who save their documents in Microsoft Office formats only, eg. .doc. Tip: always choose .rtf (rich text format) if on Windows. Works well everywhere and has all the same information. Always irritates me when people at work email stuff in .doc format.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Well, I think it should be left to the school nurse. Tablets are easier to take than caplets, but I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference.

Sorry wrong kind of tablet. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Hey DB, when ya have to explain the joke. KInda/Sorta takes the humor away from it Laughing very hard

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Technology in schools within Australia is both a blessing and curse. Students have access to more information than ever before, yet because of their overdependence on technology, are unable to process it in the way that we used to -in our heads. It seems that if it can't be googled and answered in thirty seconds, it's not worth knowing. Our students have a wide pool of knowledge, but it's only ankle-deep, with no way of connecting ideas from different disciplines. Whilst a tablet can be great for students with learning needs, and may well be the future in an economically rationalist and environmentally driven education system, it's not an ideal way to learn. The teen temptation for misuse, the lack of critical thinking being done, the lack of effort required, the loss of handwriting all count against tablets for me.

But, I am a person who happens to like holding books, actually turning pages and spending time reflecting on issues from a range of perspectives -none of which is favoured by the technology prevalent today.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 9:27 pm

^^^^^^good perspective^^^^^^

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 5:53 am

Heh when I was in school a Tablet meant a notepad and normally meant Penmanship Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you think about tablets being used in schools?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next