Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film

Go down 
+12
Sutekh
manny
sheets
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
jettafiend
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
Addy
James B.
tohostudios
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Empty
PostSubject: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Full article here:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

First he rebooted the Star Trek franchise...now he's doing the same for Star Wars.

I'm sure the fanboy reactions on both sides is going to be HILARIOUS over the next couple years.

lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Since I've never been a fan of the Star Wars franchise (never seen a single damn one), I might actually be interested in this. Given what Abrams accomplished with the Star Trek reboot (which totally surprised me because I AM a Star Trek fanboy), I might actually care about a Star Wars reboot from him.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12590

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Interesting choice I suppose ?

More interested in who does the writing and acting than director.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 pm

Hes not doing the same to Star Wars as that would require some form of reboot, and theyve been saying that 7,8,9 are original stories....
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12590

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 6:51 pm

At least "most" Abrams movies have some character development found in them.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39398

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 7:22 pm

I like the choice. He's done some good work (Star Trek and Super 8 ) so this should be interesting. I had read that Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back) was possibly writing the first of the new trilogy as well. Not sure if that one has been confirmed.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Hmmm.... not sure how I feel about that one.......
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 8:26 pm

007 wrote:
I like the choice. He's done some good work (Star Trek and Super 8 ) so this should be interesting. I had read that Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back) was possibly writing the first of the new trilogy as well. Not sure if that one has been confirmed.

"Little Miss Sunshine" screenwriter Michael Arndt is penning the script.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 9:50 pm

J.J. is an excellent director and knows how to structure compelling stories featuring multiple characters (see the Lost pilot for example). I think he is a fine choice.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 11:39 pm

I still haven't seen Abrams' "Star Trek" reboot, though I do have it recorded somewhere and will get to it eventually. Till I see that I think I'll reserve judgment.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 1:05 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I still haven't seen Abrams' "Star Trek" reboot, though I do have it recorded somewhere and will get to it eventually. Till I see that I think I'll reserve judgment.

Did you see Super 8?

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 1:18 am

I am a fan of both series of movies, and I thought that Star Trek was fantastic. I am intrigued enough to consider watching it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 1:48 am

Honestly, I have about zero interest in Star Wars (only like the first 2 films), but I'm a big fan of Abrams so his involvement is enough to get my attention.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 8:13 am

S.D. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Did you see Super 8?

Nope, not yet, but I wanna. I'm on the "waiting list" for it at the library at the moment.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 8:46 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Did you see Super 8?

Nope, not yet, but I wanna. I'm on the "waiting list" for it at the library at the moment.

Both Star Trek and Super 8 are excellent films...... now that I thought about it, I think he will do a good job. Lost was excellent, Super 8 and Star Trek where great flicks. I think he's smart enough not to make the flight deck of the Falcon look like an Apple store (see bridge of Enterprise.....)
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 9:43 am

I can honestly say I've never seen any of JJ Abrams work, so I couldn't say if he's a good choice or not.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:06 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I just saw if for the first time this past Sunday. I've never cared for Star Trek at all, and have never understood it's mass appeal. With that being said, I thought Abrams did a superb job on it. I'm not sure why it took me so long to see the reboot, since I had heard you really didn't need to be a Star Trek fan to enjoy this movie. Also, I loved "Lost", so I knew that J.J Abrams would do a great job of directing. I'm still pissed about the show "Alcatraz" getting the ax last year.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:20 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I just saw if for the first time this past Sunday. I've never cared for Star Trek at all, and have never understood it's mass appeal. With that being said, I thought Abrams did a superb job on it. I'm not sure why it took me so long to see the reboot, since I had heard you really didn't need to be a Star Trek fan to enjoy this movie. Also, I loved "Lost", so I knew that J.J Abrams would do a great job of directing. I'm still pissed about the show "Alcatraz" getting the ax last year.

I've never been much of a "Trek" guy either, I've seen most of the previous feature films and the odd episode here and there, but that's about it.

I was curious about Abrams' new one when it first came out, I just never got around to it. I do like the idea of being able to watch a 'Star Trek' without having to know 40+ years of back story.

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 12:11 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I've never been much of a "Trek" guy either, I've seen most of the previous feature films and the odd episode here and there, but that's about it.

I was curious about Abrams' new one when it first came out, I just never got around to it. I do like the idea of being able to watch a 'Star Trek' without having to know 40+ years of back story.

I've seen some of the featured films, but they just never really grabbed me. I love causes, but the two hour long PSA message regarding whale extinction in the fourth movie, as a plot device to drive the story was a bit much. If Star Wars ever went into that direction, I would be beyond disappointed. Whether I believe in a cause or not, my reply would be, "What the hell is going on here?"

The reason why the reboot works is, the mannerisms/lingo used by the franchises core characters in this current installment is on display to please its adoring fan base, but I didn't think it was used ad nauseum. I think the catch phrases in the Star Trek franchise tend to borderline on the ridiculousness. They certainly did use those, but I felt like the writer and Abrams as a director gave them somewhat of a personality overhaul. The most noticeable was with Uhura, Kirk, Sulu, and Spock to an extent. Without giving away anything, there is a really "Smart" extended cameo plot device in the reboot. It worked really well...
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Abrams basically tried to turn Star Trek into Star Wars anyway, so in that sense he's a good match for actually getting to make Star Wars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 12:47 pm

sheets wrote:
Abrams basically tried to turn Star Trek into Star Wars anyway, so in that sense he's a good match for actually getting to make Star Wars.

I've heard other people say that but I don't see it at all. It felt like a modern Star Trek to me.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 pm

I am a huge Star Trek fan, at least of the original series, and when I went to see the movie my expections were low. The series is as much about the chemistry between the actors who played the characters, so it was hard for me imagining someone taking over those icon roles, but the movie was excellent and the cast was stellar.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 1:17 am

Here is the full press release with some further details:

J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, the first of a new series of Star Wars films to come from Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy. Abrams will be directing and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

“It’s very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie,” said Kennedy. “J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture.”

George Lucas went on to say “I’ve consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He’s an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn’t be in better hands.”

“To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor,” J.J. Abrams said. “I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid.”

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Abrams and his production company Bad Robot have a proven track record of blockbuster movies that feature complex action, heartfelt drama, iconic heroes and fantastic production values with such credits as Star Trek, Super 8, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, and this year’s Star Trek Into Darkness. Abrams has worked with Lucasfilm’s preeminent postproduction facilities, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, on all of the feature films he has directed, beginning with Mission: Impossible III. He also created or co-created such acclaimed television series as Felicity, Alias, Lost and Fringe.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 7:21 am

I'm good with this. I've enjoyed Abrams' movie work, just as long as he lays off the lens-flare Razz
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 am

Being a Star Wars fanboy I am very skeptical about this, With Disney owning Lucasfilm theres also been new talks about doing the live action tv series too. Which I feel would take the novelty of it away.

With 7 ,8,9 I am not expecting much will I go see them? Hell yeah cuz I am a Star Wars nut but I am not expecting to be Wow'd or blown away
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film   J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

J.J. Abrams chosen to direct next Star Wars film
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next