Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"

Go down 
+4
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
kmorg
MetalGuy71
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Empty
PostSubject: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 4:36 pm

New film from Bubba Ho-Tep and Phantasm director getting great word-of-mouth on the festival circuit. Looks like a hoot.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm assuming it's based on this book...

http://www.amazon.com/John-Dies-End-David-Wong/dp/0312659148

Can't say I've read it, but the author David Wong does some writing on the Cracked.com website and they pimped this book pretty heavily. He wrote a sequel too..

http://www.amazon.com/This-Book-Full-Spiders-Seriously/dp/0312546343/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352152150&sr=8-2&keywords=john+dies+at+the+end+dvd

Not sure that movie these is my cuppa tea, but that's just me. Like S.D. with heavy metal these days, I'm pretty picky with the movies I watch.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 3:38 am

Cool. I was wondering what he was UP to these data.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 6:03 pm

I need to see this!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37558

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Don Coscarelli -- dang, there's a name I haven't heard in a while. Looks like a fun flick.

Was it just me or did that dude in the skull mask with the welder's goggles on it look like Megadeth's Vic Rattlehead? Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17045

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Coscarelli is one of the best underrated horror directors.

I'm hoping he does another Phantasm while Angus (Tall Man) Scrimm is still around.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 2:02 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Was it just me or did that dude in the skull mask with the welder's goggles on it look like Megadeth's Vic Rattlehead? Very Happy

Actually I think that is a direct homage to the original "Tales From The Crypt" with the death's head motorcyclist.

Angus Scrimm has a cameo in this film.

Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 12:43 pm

That looks crazy-weird! Kind of Regulators-style Stephen King mixed with the irreverent oddness of The Hitchhiker's Guide. I may want to check out this book, too.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Watched this last night and I definitely need to watch it again. Lots to assimilate. It will never make any money at the box office because it's too weird and offbeat which of course means I love it.

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 1:05 pm

It is getting a small theatrical run starting this Friday in selected cities. It was released on the video on demand outlets in December. The film originally could not get a distributor, but after rave reviews from Sundance and SXSW it was finally picked up by Magnet releasing.

Like Bubba Ho Tep it is an instant cult classic.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 am

This flick opens in New York City today; our paper gave it a three star (!!) review..

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 9:34 am

From yesterday's review in the New York Times:

Quote :
It lays waste to linear narration, thematic coherence, psychological plausibility and just about everything else you might expect to encounter. It zigs, zags and trips over its own feet and on its own home-brewed hallucinogens. It’s a ridiculous, preposterous, sometimes maddening experience, but also kind of a blast.

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 8:50 pm

This is now available on Netflix streaming.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 9:31 pm

I've now watched it about a half dozen times and I love it!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Watched this one again tonight.

This may be my favorite movie of the last 10 years or so. It just resonates with me on so many levels.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Must see.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:26 am

Rented this from RedBox last night. It was VERY strange... but I dug it. The guy playing "David Wong" was hilariously deadpan, he cracked me up.

S.D. wrote:
Angus Scrimm has a cameo in this film.

He does? I must've missed him.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:32 am

He's the priest Wong calls at the beginning.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:45 am

tohostudios wrote:

No sh*t? I didn't recognize him. Sheesh, I'm slipping. I'm usually good at stuff like that. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39186

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:58 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

No sh*t? I didn't recognize him. Sheesh, I'm slipping. I'm usually good at stuff like that. Very Happy

The dude's pretty old now. He's like 86 or so. Probably why you didn't recognize him.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 9:14 am

Except that he's always looked old. He looked old more than 30 years ago in Phantasm.

PostSubject: Re: Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"   Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don Coscarelli's "JOHN DIES AT THE END"
Page 1 of 1