Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Iron Maiden Discography

Go down 
+19
Gilbert
Citanul
sidmaximus
journeyman
ShadowAngel
Wurthless
Joe
SpectreFate
Required Fields
kmorg
Spiner202
Fat Freddy
Andy
metalinmyveins
James B.
manny
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
sidmaximus
Metal novice
Metal novice
sidmaximus

Number of posts : 29

The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
James B. wrote:
Quote :
not as heavy as compared to the bands that I grew up with (i.e. Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, etc.)

surprised

X2 surprised

scratch
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12590

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:36 am

sidmaximus wrote:
not as heavy as compared to the bands that I grew up with (i.e. Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, etc.)
scratch

In my case, the surprised was that I don't come close to agreeing to your comment. It seems you may equate fast drumming to heaviness ? "Jericho" and both "Keeper" albums may be closest to being as "heavy" as Maiden has been. (subjective) Those other bands are IMHDO flowery and Maiden has never been flowery.

My opinion doesn't mean any more than yours, just seems we have a different defintion of what "heavy" means.

Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:50 am

sidmaximus wrote:
4. The lyrics which is about fantasy

Um, not really.

Aces High - World War II
2 Minutes to Midnight - Nuclear Destruction
Flash of the Blade - Sword fighting, but not necessarily in a fantasy setting
The Duellists - Fighting a duel
Back in the Village - Based on the TV show The Prisoner, which could possibly be described as fantasy, but not in the traditional Lord of the Rings sense.
Powerslave - Based more on Egyptian mythology but could possibly qualify as fantasy
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Based on the poem, which once again is not traditional fantasy
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:53 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
James B. wrote:
Quote :

surprised

X2 surprised

X3 - Guess I better get up the next review since it's my thread!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9873

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 am

Maiden England 1988 is getting re-released on DVD and CD.

headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Maiden England 1988 is getting re-released on DVD and CD.

headbanger

It has been out for a couple weeks.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 220px-58
Iron Maiden – Piece of Mind
Released May 16, 1983

Track List:
1. Where Eagles Dare
2. Revelations
3. Flight of Icarus
4. Die with Your Boots On
5. The Trooper
6. Still Life
7. Quest for Fire
8. Sun and Steel
9. To Tame a Land

The Number of the Beast had been a worldwide hit for Iron Maiden and the tour had been very successful. They had begun to headline t around Europe and were an opening act on arena tours in the US – opening for Rainbow, .38 Special, Scorpions and Judas Priest. After the tour, it was time to record a new album, but one piece of business needed to be completed. Clive Burr was not handling the touring life well and he was let go. The band then hired former Streetwalkers/Pat Travers/Trust drummer Nicko McBrian. The band got to know Nicko during the Beast On The Road tour – in fact, Nicko had dressed up as the devil during the shows and felt he would fit in with the rest of the band. With Nicko McBrain on board, the classic era Iron Maiden line up was complete and they started to write the new album. They quickly discovered that Nicko was much more technically proficient and versatile than Clive (who had the “feel” edge) and Iron Maiden took advantage of this with the song writing.

By this point, Martin Birch was Iron Maiden’s producer, so he scouted studios to record the new album. He finally decided on Compass Point Studios on Nassau, Bahamas which had previously been used to record AC/DC’s Back in Black. The working title of the album was “Food For Thought” as the band had already decided to lobotomize Eddie. It was later changed to “Piece of Mind”

The album was released on May 16, 1983 and was another hit for the band, reaching number 14 on the Billboard album charts and contained all killer and no filler. Nicko McBrain was introduced to the world in a big way with the opening of the first track “Where Eagles Dare” which is one of the greatest drum openings to a song ever recorded (and an amazing opening track to an album!) Young drummers everywhere wanted to immediately learn how to play the song and where even more amazed to learn that Nicko absolutely refused to play a double bass drum. Instead he learned how to play the kick drum parts with one foot.

With Nicko behind the kit, Iron Maiden’s songs began to take a more progressive lean, as represented by tracks such as “Revelations” and the album’s epic closer “To Tame a Land” which the band wanted to originally title “Dune” but the author, Frank Herbert, wouldn’t grant permission. In fact, the message sent back to the band was that he didn’t “like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands, and especially bands like Iron Maiden.”

The first single released was “Flight of Icarus” followed by the soon to be classic “The Trooper” (On the tours the song wasn’t played, you often heard comments along the lines of “What? No Trooper????) Both videos received a lot of play on upstart video music channel MTV and that helped to grow the fan base.

The two other tracks that were played live where the excellent “Die with Your Boots On” and the underrated “Still Life” (not played live until the Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour.) Some people consider the album’s deepest tracks “Quest for Fire” and “Sun and Steel” to be filler, but not me as I personally love the songs. Granted, the lyrics to “Quest for Fire” are a bit cheesy but it’s still a great track with a great guitar melody played throughout.

Piece of Mind is the album that would show the direction that Iron Maiden would take for the rest of there career – lots of time changes, lots of melody and awesome riffs with a progressive bent. This was the first Iron Maiden album I bought and is still my favorite from the classic era. While Clive was an awesome drummer with his feel, Nicko was able to take the songwriting to a new level with his ability.

With the release of Piece of Mind, Iron Maiden set out on the “World Piece” tour. This would be their first US arena headlining tour. The final date of the “World Piece” tour took place in Dortmund, Germany in December of 1983. The show was most notable because of what would happen to the mascot Eddie. He made his usual appearance during the track “Iron Maiden” but at the end of the song, the band proceeded to kill him on stage. Eddie’s current status would have to be resolved on the next album cover……

The "death" of Eddie:

Really good write up.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 3:05 pm

The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 220px-10
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Released September 3, 1984

Tracklist:

Side One:
1. Aces High
2. Two Minutes To Midnight
3. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
4. Flash Of The Blade
5. The Duellist

Side Two:
1. Back In The Village
2. Powerslave
3. Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Iron Maiden finished their first arena headlining tour in Dortmund, Germany by "killing" Eddie then took a few weeks off and began the writing of their next album. This new work would mark the first time that Iron Maiden had the exact same lineup as the previous album and would be the second release from what is now known as the classic Maiden lineup.

Martin Birch would be back on board as producer and the band would once again record at Compass Point Studios in Nassau, Bahamas. After the recording was finished, Birch headed up to New York to mix the album at Electric Ladyland Studios.

The album would be released on September 3, 1984 - an amazing year for metal albums! Since Iron Maiden had "killed" Eddie during the last show of the World Piece tour, he was dead on the album cover, as a dead Pharaoh being carried to his Pyramid tomb with the metal heads of 1984 called the most "bad a$$" Iron Maiden album cover yet.

The album was an instant classic. I remember hearing the first single, 'Two Minutes To Midnight' on the radio prior to the album release (along with the MTV video) and couldn't wait to hear the rest of the album. The song was an instant classic and is still played live to this day and is currently being played on the Maiden England tour (The Prisoner followed by Two Minutes To Midnight live in concert? count me in!)

Much like Piece Of Mind, the first track on Powerslave was about fighter planes. Ace's High was another instant classic and was the second single/video from the album. Like 11:58, the track still gets played to this day and is the first song of the encore of the current tour.

Powerslave also featured an instrumental track, appropriately title Losfer Words (get it???). This track started the "deep tracks" section of the album, which include Flash of The Blade, The Duelists and Back In The Village. Great songs, but not as good as the first two or last two cuts on the album. Back In The Village is a sequel to the song "The Prisoner."

The album then gets into the two epic tracks. First up is the title track of the album. What can be said about Powerslave that hasn't already been said - awesome, epic track that showed Iron Maiden's progressive leanings.

The album would finish with a monster, almost 14 minute track based on a Samuel Taylor Coleridge epic poem, one read by many High Schoolers. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is a amazing song. Like the title track, this also showed Maiden's progressive leanings. The song itself was written in a very short span of time and would become a fan favorite and a personal favorite of mine. I was in High School when the album was released and also had to study the poem in English class. You have to picture English class the day we started it - the teacher telling the class to open the book to "Rime" and 1/4 of the class looking at each other and singing the song under our breaths, headbanging and throwing the horns........ ahh, the good old days!!!!

Personally, I love the album. I don't think it is as good as Piece Of Mind. The album has 4 classic, all time great tracks and 4 other that some consider 'filler"' (not me!) While "not as good" as Piece Of Mind is still a freakin classic platter that every metal fan either owns in their collection or they need to own ASAP.

Iron Maiden would then embark on their most extensive tour to date, the World Slavery Tour. They played anywhere and everywhere, playing many places twice (including a 4 night stand somewhere near LA, but that is for another review....)

The tour would feature a giant mummified Eddie, pyro and a kick a$$ set list. The band did feel the effects of such a long tour, particularly Bruce Dickinson. The long tour effective him more than the rest of the band. Steve Harris has said a few time that the tour made Bruce "absolutely batty."

With Eddie now "dead", many fans wondered if that was the end of Eddie as Iron Maiden's mascot. The answer would lie in the cover of Iron Maiden's next release....

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 4:33 pm

You said it all and I agree with it. Classic hardly covers it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 5:48 pm

Great album with a killer opener

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Powerslave is my third favourite album after Piece of Mind and Number. Some great Songs and a ton of fune memories: Like Flash of the Blade was used by Dario Argento in Phenoma, one of my favorite directors who created so many great movies Very Happy
The album also worked pretty good on Serious Sam (The First Encounter) which was set in ancient egyptian. There's just the moment you'll fight an giant scorpion with 2 gatling guns while Powerslave is blaring out your speakers, it pushes you to an whole new level of kick some ass Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 6:10 am

Love this album, one of my favorites from Iron Maiden, during this time, Iron Maiden could do no wrong in my book
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 9:18 am

This was the last time I saw multiple shows on a tour by any particular band.

I caught shows this tour in Portland, Oregon (Right before Christmas of 84) and 6 shows in March of 85 in and around Calif. (including Long Beach) Twisted Sister opened a few of the shows. Maiden was solo at others and WASP opened for the show I saw in Sacramento later on that year.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 10:31 am

James B. wrote:
This was the last time I saw multiple shows on a tour by any particular band.

I caught shows this tour in Portland, Oregon (Right before Christmas of 84) and 6 shows in March of 85 in and around Calif. (including Long Beach) Twisted Sister opened a few of the shows. Maiden was solo at others and WASP opened for the show I saw in Sacramento later on that year.

Which night? Can we find you on the Live After Death video?
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Powerslave just blew my mind at the time. Metal was new to me and this album was so darn cool. I remember the album cover had a textured surface and was truly a sight to behold. Even today this album holds up and is every bit the "cool" as it was the first time I heard it. A very important album for me. Nice write up.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 12:41 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

Which night? Can we find you on the Live After Death video?

I used to joke around with people that you can hear me screaming when Brice yells, "scream for me Long Beach" or I was the long red haired dude screaming when Bruce yells that. At both shows I attended, my butt was all over the place. Loved festval seating and a phony ID. So I'd work my way as close to the stage as possible and then get thirsty. Hit the beer garden and repeat as necesary headbanger

Metal novice
Metal novice
RAIDwarden

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 2:15 pm

The Egyptian feel and evilness to Powerslave is what makes it, what I think, the most thrilling album to listen to by Maiden. The title track is flawless in all aspects. I can't wait to learn the whole solo and put a video for ya guys to see!
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and jump in this thread. I'll be brief while I play "catch-up."

1. Iron Maiden (self-titled): A great record, but not one I listen to that often. I have nothing against DiAnno's voice, but I typically listen to Bruce-era Maiden. Nevertheless, this is a good listen every now and then. "Running Free," "Remember Tomorrow," "Phantom of the Opera," "Charlotte the Harlot," and the title track are all standouts in my mind.

2. Killers: Another great record, but again, not one I play frequently. I find it overall slightly less memorable that the self-titled, although the production is much better. "Wrathchild," "Murders in the Rue Morgue," and the title track are the standouts to me.

3. Number of the Beast: a phenomenal album that I spin quite frequently. Not my favorite Maiden album, but definitely fantastic. I even love the two others seem to hate: "Invaders" and "Gangland." Honestly, the only song I don't particularly care for is "22 Acacia Avenue," but it's not terrible. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is one of my favorites from their whole catalog.

4. Piece of Mind: My first Maiden album! A great record, and probably one of their most consistent. It's not my favorite, but it has some of my favorite tracks. I find the middle section of "Where Eagles Dare" a little dull, but it's still a good song. My top favorite from this album is probably "Revelations," although "Flight of Icarus" and "Die with Your Boots On" are up there, as well.

5. Powerslave: Probably my favorite Maiden album. It's easily the one I play most often. While "Back in the Village" is easily the weakest song, I don't mind it in the context of the album as a whole. It's hard for me to pick favorites from this record, but the title track is probably my favorite Maiden song from their whole catalog.
Back to top Go down
RAIDwarden
Metal novice
Metal novice
RAIDwarden

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 4:00 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:

5. Powerslave: Probably my favorite Maiden album. It's easily the one I play most often. While "Back in the Village" is easily the weakest song, I don't mind it in the context of the album as a whole. It's hard for me to pick favorites from this record, but the title track is probably my favorite Maiden song from their whole catalog.

I agree with ya there. The solo in Powerslave is probably the best out of any song, as well
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 2:15 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 220px-55
Iron Maiden – Maiden Japan
Released September 14, 1981

Track List:
1. Running Free
2. Remember Tomorrow
3. Wrathchild
4. Killers
5. Innocent Exile
NOTE: Wrathchild in on the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Brazil pressings. All other pressing contain just four songs.

After the release of Killers, Iron Maiden started their first world tour. After the European leg, they headed to Japan. The May 23, 1981 concert at the Kosei Nenkin Hall in Tokyo, was recorded, at the request of the band’s Japanese label, for a live release. The show was recorded by long time Iron Maiden front of house sound man Doug Hall (the current Maiden England tour is the first tour that he hasn’t been mixing Iron Maiden live shows since they signed a record contract.) The show was mixed (with some overdubs) in Toronto about a month later (during Maiden’s Canada portion of the tour). Production is credited to Doug Hall and Iron Maiden.

A shortened version of the show was released as an EP and called Maiden Japan, a pun on Deep Purple’s live album Made In Japan. The cover that was eventually released wasn’t the original cover. The artwork submitted had Eddie holding a decapitated Paul Di’Anno’s head:

The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 220px-56

By this time, Paul had grown increasing dependent on drugs and alcohol and as a result had become much less dependable. Being a touring band, an unreliable singer would have been the end of the band sooner or later so Steve Harris decided to give Paul his walking papers. At the time, Paul didn’t know he was about to lose his job but only the band and management knew. It wasn’t in the bands best interest to release that particular cover, so the cover we all know was quickly pulled together. On a side note, the EP was released in Venezuela in 1987 with the original art work making it a rare collectable. The EP has yet to be released on CD.

The EP itself is a cool memento of Iron Maiden’s first world tour. Even though it has never been officially released on CD, you can still find bootleg copies as well as electronic versions online. I would personally love to for Iron Maiden to re-release Maiden Japan on CD, but release the full show and not just the four tracks. And that is my only complaint about Maiden Japan – it’s too short! I was able to track down a vinyl copy earlier this year (US Version). After Maiden Japan, Iron Maiden was about to make the biggest change of their young career…
Is there any truth to Iron Maiden releasing Maiden Japan remastered digipak in 1999 for the fan club. The only official release I am aware of is the inclusion of the tracks as bonus material on the Castle release of Killers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2013 2:20 pm

journeyman wrote:

Is there any truth to Iron Maiden releasing Maiden Japan remastered digipak in 1999 for the fan club. The only official release I am aware of is the inclusion of the tracks as bonus material on the Castle release of Killers.
I believe there was a fan club edition, the same full-length one that has been circulating in bootleg form.

Again, important to note that the full-length version of Maiden Japan is not the same night as the EP.
Back to top Go down
CrookedCross
Metal novice
Metal novice
CrookedCross

Number of posts : 42

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2014 12:34 pm

What a great band, one of the first metal bands that I got into as a kid. Number of the Beast was the first Maiden album I bought but I would have to say Powerslave is my favorite, that was the first time I saw them live with WASP opening,. All these years later and they are still one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 7:03 pm

I have all the early Maidens on vinyl when it went as far as it could. Glad they are releasing 1990-2016 all on vinyl that never were pressed but on cd only. They are a bit pricey but they sound amazing. I ordered the box and the first issues that came out over a month ago next 3 releases come out next Friday with the last one coming out in Aug. So 13 albums fit in the box which includes The Book Of Souls. I've been picking up some live releases that are out but limited.
Yesterday I found a boot of Iron Maiden of a live show in Manchester from 1984 got a good deal on it.

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Iron Maiden Discography
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4