Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Iron Maiden Discography

Go down 
+19
Gilbert
Citanul
sidmaximus
journeyman
ShadowAngel
Wurthless
Joe
SpectreFate
Required Fields
kmorg
Spiner202
Fat Freddy
Andy
metalinmyveins
James B.
manny
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 2:13 pm

The Number of the Beast was the first Maiden album I owned. The first two songs I heard were Run to the Hills and the title track. I love it from beginning to end. A classic album that I still play once in awhile. Favorite track is The Prisoner.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 3:58 pm

S.D. wrote:
Bruce's previous band was called "SAMSON" not "Sampson". FYI.

Damn auto-correct!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12590

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 4:08 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Bruce's previous band was called "SAMSON" not "Sampson". FYI.

Damn auto-correct!!!!!!!

That reminds me of the native american who named his kid "broken rubber"

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Joe wrote:
The Number of the Beast was the first Maiden album I owned. The first two songs I heard were Run to the Hills and the title track. I love it from beginning to end. A classic album that I still play once in awhile. Favorite track is The Prisoner.

Minus the last part, that's my experience with the album as well. It's one of my favorite Maiden albums, but I've played it to death over the past 6 or 7 years.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28392

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Very cool album, but it has been a long time since I spun it. Hallowed Be Thy Name is the album highlight for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 11:26 am

The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 220px-58
Iron Maiden – Piece of Mind
Released May 16, 1983

Track List:
1. Where Eagles Dare
2. Revelations
3. Flight of Icarus
4. Die with Your Boots On
5. The Trooper
6. Still Life
7. Quest for Fire
8. Sun and Steel
9. To Tame a Land

The Number of the Beast had been a worldwide hit for Iron Maiden and the tour had been very successful. They had begun to headline t around Europe and were an opening act on arena tours in the US – opening for Rainbow, .38 Special, Scorpions and Judas Priest. After the tour, it was time to record a new album, but one piece of business needed to be completed. Clive Burr was not handling the touring life well and he was let go. The band then hired former Streetwalkers/Pat Travers/Trust drummer Nicko McBrian. The band got to know Nicko during the Beast On The Road tour – in fact, Nicko had dressed up as the devil during the shows and felt he would fit in with the rest of the band. With Nicko McBrain on board, the classic era Iron Maiden line up was complete and they started to write the new album. They quickly discovered that Nicko was much more technically proficient and versatile than Clive (who had the “feel” edge) and Iron Maiden took advantage of this with the song writing.

By this point, Martin Birch was Iron Maiden’s producer, so he scouted studios to record the new album. He finally decided on Compass Point Studios on Nassau, Bahamas which had previously been used to record AC/DC’s Back in Black. The working title of the album was “Food For Thought” as the band had already decided to lobotomize Eddie. It was later changed to “Piece of Mind”

The album was released on May 16, 1983 and was another hit for the band, reaching number 14 on the Billboard album charts and contained all killer and no filler. Nicko McBrain was introduced to the world in a big way with the opening of the first track “Where Eagles Dare” which is one of the greatest drum openings to a song ever recorded (and an amazing opening track to an album!) Young drummers everywhere wanted to immediately learn how to play the song and where even more amazed to learn that Nicko absolutely refused to play a double bass drum. Instead he learned how to play the kick drum parts with one foot.

With Nicko behind the kit, Iron Maiden’s songs began to take a more progressive lean, as represented by tracks such as “Revelations” and the album’s epic closer “To Tame a Land” which the band wanted to originally title “Dune” but the author, Frank Herbert, wouldn’t grant permission. In fact, the message sent back to the band was that he didn’t “like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands, and especially bands like Iron Maiden.”

The first single released was “Flight of Icarus” followed by the soon to be classic “The Trooper” (On the tours the song wasn’t played, you often heard comments along the lines of “What? No Trooper????) Both videos received a lot of play on upstart video music channel MTV and that helped to grow the fan base.

The two other tracks that were played live where the excellent “Die with Your Boots On” and the underrated “Still Life” (not played live until the Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour.) Some people consider the album’s deepest tracks “Quest for Fire” and “Sun and Steel” to be filler, but not me as I personally love the songs. Granted, the lyrics to “Quest for Fire” are a bit cheesy but it’s still a great track with a great guitar melody played throughout.

Piece of Mind is the album that would show the direction that Iron Maiden would take for the rest of there career – lots of time changes, lots of melody and awesome riffs with a progressive bent. This was the first Iron Maiden album I bought and is still my favorite from the classic era. While Clive was an awesome drummer with his feel, Nicko was able to take the songwriting to a new level with his ability.

With the release of Piece of Mind, Iron Maiden set out on the “World Piece” tour. This would be their first US arena headlining tour. The final date of the “World Piece” tour took place in Dortmund, Germany in December of 1983. The show was most notable because of what would happen to the mascot Eddie. He made his usual appearance during the track “Iron Maiden” but at the end of the song, the band proceeded to kill him on stage. Eddie’s current status would have to be resolved on the next album cover……

The "death" of Eddie:

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 11:55 am

This is perhaps my favorite Maiden album (it flucuates) headbanger

I played it quite a bit after buying it, still do.

A vivid memory is recognizing terms/charachters from the book "Dune" on the closing track.
Then reading later as to circumstances why it was titled what it was. "quest for fire" is subjective as the albums "weakest" track. I dug on Clive's playing, especially on his last album with the band. The thing that Clive did on that album Nicko does better on this release.

My favorite tracks are the "Eagles", "Boots", and "Revelations" headbanger "Icarus" and "Trooper" are excellent tunes but over-saturation took the "love" away through the years

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 pm

I've owned more things Trooper then any other rock paraphanalia. Love the drumming, the addition of Nicko changed them in so many ways and I think it allowed to Steve to indulge his prog side that now defines them.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 1:12 pm

This was the first Iron Maiden album I ever bought, loved it.

The opens with that killer drum intro and takes off from there.

When I first bought the album I did not jack poop about Dune, so I had no idea what the hell they were singing about, I figured they had gotten hold of good old fashion American stink weed and that is what inspired the lyrics.

Bruce Dickinson really comes to his own as far as the songwriting dept, and only two albums in, he becomes the vocalist to Iron Maiden.

Adrian Smith and Dave Murrary incredible, as is Steve Harris.

Overall excellent album, only marred by Quest for Fire.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 9:01 am

Piece of Mind is the last innovative Maiden album. At this point, they have settled firmly into the band they would be for the next 30 years: energetic heavy metal with dashes of prog. After Piece of Mind, the albums follow a strict formula. This is not a bad thing at all, it's very good. But people bitch about "new Maiden" and "old Maiden" - honestly it's all Iron Maiden, and there are hints of what was to come (LOTS of hints) spread all over Piece of Mind. Masterful album featuring the band's definitive line-up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 9:16 am

Andy wrote:
Piece of Mind is the last innovative Maiden album.

Seems somebody never heard "Somewhere In Time"

I know, it's only an opinion

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 10:47 am

James B. wrote:
Andy wrote:

I would disagree that either is last innovative Maiden album...... IMHO, it would be The Final Frontier (just listen to the track Isle Of Avalon), and you are correct about Somewhere In Time

And I guess it's time to work on the Powerslave review.....
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39404

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 11:01 am

The Number Of The Beast is THE Iron Maiden album to own, I think. Just awesome from start to finish and it has my 2 favorite Maiden tracks on it-the title track and Run To The Hills. I'll never tire of listening to them.

Piece Of Mind is a killer follow-up. Superb songs on this one as well (Where Eagles Dare and Revlations are the stand outs) but a few that just don't do it for me (Quest For Fire and To Tame A Land) which brings it down a notch or 2.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Time to play catchup on another thread. Transitional albums are some of the most interesting albums out there, whether it be due to the death of a band member or a firing of a member. I'm sure there had to be angst among Maiden fans when it was announced that Di'Anno got canned. I didn't become a Maiden fan until the album "Somewhere In Time" came out, so my world wasn't being turned upside down, plus I was only ten at the time. Things don't rock your wold the majority of the time at ten years of age (no pun intended). "Number of the Beast" and the addition of Bruce Dickinson was beyond a seamless transition. I wonder how many people after hearing the opening track "Invaders" started worrying? I totally understand why that song has never been played live, because frankly it's a real clunker. With that being said, the rest of the album is near perfect. My favorite songs in order are: "The Number of the Beast", "Total Eclipse" (which should have been on the original pressing), "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "22 Acacia Avenue", "Run to the Hills", "The Prisoner", "Children of the Damned", "Gangland" and of course "Invaders".

I know that I'm in the minority regarding the feeling about "Piece of Mind", but I don't have the love for this album that most have. The songs I love, I really love, the songs that I think are average, just don't speak to me. I've always wanted to like the album more than I do. I like the addition of Nicko McBrain (not that Burr was a slouch by any means), and I like the formula this album was built upon, but I just don't have the same love for the album. My favorite songs in order are: "The Trooper", "Flight of Icarus", "Still Life", "Where Eagles Dare", "Revelations",........then the rest....."Die With Your Boots On", "Sun And Steel", 'To Tame A Land", and "Quest For Fire".

My favorite Maiden albums to this point:

1. The Number of the Beast
2. S/t
3. Piece of Mind
4. Killers

Regarding Maiden In Japan, I found the complete show online a couple of years ago, and downloaded that bad boy. Great live gig!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28392

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Piece of Mind is a very good album; my favorites on it are Where Eagles Dare and To Tame a Land.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:05 am

The Number Of The Beast -

The first Iron Maiden album I owned, saw the video for the title track on HBO's Video Jukebox and bought the album the next day. Fantastic album, energetic and intense, great production, Bruce brings in an epic vibe that wasn't present when DiAnno was in the band. Chock full of classic tracks, some of them regrettably over-played, but I still have no problem listening to the album all the way through. Invaders is not nearly as bad as most people seem to think.

One of my favorite tracks is "Gangland" which for some reason has been completely forgotten about, a shame because it's an awesome tune, Clive Burr puts in a killer performance.

Piece of Mind -

Piece Of Mind is a really good album, but not quite as immediate as the prior album and Powerslave. Quest For Fire doesn't help. The over-played factor bothers me a little more with this album, as "The Trooper" I generally skip nowadays. Maiden did continue the maturation process on this album and tracks like "Flight of Icarus" and "Revelations" show their songwriting skills becoming more polished.

My favorite part of the album is the 3:20 instrumental ending of "To Tame A Land" which demonstrates the prog rock influence and also highlights how melodic they could be while still rocking out.

A good deal of Iron Maiden's legacy can be attributed to these two classic records.

I'm not in agreement with the idea they stopped being innovative after Piece Of Mind. Powerslave, Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son would see further evolution and refinement of their sound.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 pm

James B. wrote:
Andy wrote:

I don't consider slapping some keyboards over mid tempo, prog laced heavy metal to be groundbreaking. The band shifted direction a bit but werefirmly settled into their formula by the time Piece of Mind rolled around. They didn't shake things up again until 1990. Unrelated note: Somewhere in Time is my least favorite album by the band - for entirely different reasons than those stated above. It does however, feature a handful of great tracks including my Maiden-discovery track "Wasted Years".
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 12:13 am

I was talking more about the different melodic approach and other aspects in the songwriting on Somewhere In Time.

"keyboards" isn't exactly what they did. I believe it was more of a pedal thing ? It was new technology and to apply that to metal was kinda/sorta innovative. Maiden did it both better and different than Priest did. I guess looking back in rerospect as a 22 year old, 26 years later gives one a different perspective than actually hearing what else was going on at that time comparatively.

I am not saying you are wrong in your opinion by any means. Just approaching it from another angle.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 8:50 am

James B. wrote:
I was talking more about the different melodic approach and other aspects in the songwriting on Somewhere In Time.

"keyboards" isn't exactly what they did. I believe it was more of a pedal thing ? It was new technology and to apply that to metal was kinda/sorta innovative. Maiden did it both better and different than Priest did. I guess looking back in rerospect as a 22 year old, 26 years later gives one a different perspective than actually hearing what else was going on at that time comparatively.

I am not saying you are wrong in your opinion by any means. Just approaching it from another angle.

The melodic approach on that record is definitely more pronounced, and the actual keyboard effects were minimal. Pedal effects and guitar synths were the dominant feature. But I always considered Maiden to be a melodic heavy metal band. In other words, the energy and ferocity that graced the first 3 albums - still on display on PoM, was toned down in place of a standard approach to their music.

We digress though. We can fire this one up again when we get to Time. =)
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 12:08 pm

There's no way to explain the feeling when SIT came out unless you were there. It was big to add those keyboard parts and it threw many for a loop, actually some said they'd sold out and quit on Maiden.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 7:32 pm

I catch up:

The self titled album was always a favourite of mine. Running Free, Prowler, Iron Maiden, Charlotte the Harlot and Remember Tomorrow are awesome songs. Strange World became a favourite during my "drunk and stoned" phase, i still like it, it's so different.

Killer - i never liked it, i never will and i don't even know why. It's an album where i think a lot of good tracks are on it but i somehow don't like it. Genghis Khan is good and i like Murders in the Rue Morgue but that's about it. I don't like the album...

Number is a classic and in the late 80's sometime it was the first album my parents played to show me Heavy Metal so it has a special place. I like most of the songs except 22 Acacia Avenue...never could stand that one.

Piece of Mind is great, i don't think there's a really bad song, even "Die with your Boots on" is only midly annoying but still listenable. To Tame a Land is great, so is Where Eagles Dare.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Catch up:

I've never even heard the Soundhouse Tapes, thanks for that link Good listen.

The self titled debut was great. The whole album is excellent with Transylvania being a stand out. Killers is my favorite of the first two. Not sure why, but I really think they nailed it with Genghis Khan, Another Life, Wrathchild, Innocent Exile. The first album sounds like a band who had honed the songs night after night and wanted to capture that feel. Killers has a completely different vibe, yet every bit the band on their game. Martin Birch really did a great job with this release.

Maiden Japan was actually my first Iron Maiden album. I really like this one. I bought the first two based on this one. They sound so good on this album. I want this on CD.....

I didn't know that Iron Maiden had a different singer and that Number of the Beast was out. My friends sister had this album and we snuck a listen when she wasn't home. I was in awe at how different the band sounded yet so familiar. Bruce was the absolute best choice and really made Maiden sound epic. We only got through the first couple of songs before being busted and it was some time before I had the album myself. I will always remember Invaders with fond memories and The Prisoner just floored me. I had to learn that song.

By the time I bought Piece of Mind I was a die hard Maiden fan and again I didn't know that Nicko joined the band and couldn't believe the opening track Where Eagles Dare. The power of those drums kicked butt and from that point on I just sat and listened with open mouth and headphones reading and staring at the cover. I was hooked in a big way. Not a bad track on the album. From this point on I didn't revisit the first two albums as much as the two with Bruce for quite some time. I was so into the guitar sound on this album.

I like Paul and the first two albums, but to me they belay a period before Maiden found their mojo. The chemistry with Bruce in the band propelled them to a whole new level.

I agree that Iron Maiden is probably the only band with an image, style and concept from the very first album.
Back to top Go down
sidmaximus
Metal novice
Metal novice
sidmaximus

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 am

Man, this is my favorite band at this moment. I feel so stupid because I ignored this band for so long because of this stupid reason of being not as heavy as compared to the bands that I grew up with (i.e. Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, etc.). Heavy doesn't necessarily equate to greatness.

Last night I just suddenly felt like giving Iron Maiden a try. I saw this album called Powerslave. As being a Gamma Ray fan, seeing those Egyptian stuff in its cover makes it very interesting for me so I was easily persuaded.

The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Powerslave
Great freaking album!

I played the whole thing, from Aces High to Rime of the Ancient Mariner and man I was speechless and later I said to myself How stupid I am to slip this musical masterpiece for so long?. I can't really describe the feeling at that moment, it is an eargasm. The feeling of hearing something for the first time was the best of all.

Reason why I like this band:
1. Powerslave is a masterpiece.
2. Though Bruce doesn't have the range at the likes of Geoff Tate, Michael Kiske, Midnight, etc. His voice has a character and its very memorable. He also has a beautiful vibrato.
3. The fans are so enthusiastic and loyal.
4. The lyrics which is about fantasy, will play in your head and it is just what I'm exactly looking for.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 am

Quote :
not as heavy as compared to the bands that I grew up with (i.e. Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, etc.)

surprised

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 am

James B. wrote:
Quote :
not as heavy as compared to the bands that I grew up with (i.e. Helloween, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, etc.)

surprised

X2 surprised
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Iron Maiden Discography    The Iron Maiden Discography  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Iron Maiden Discography
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next