Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Michael Schenker Group Discography

Go down 
+8
Red Kitty
Wurthless
jettafiend
chewie
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
manny
James B.
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:21 am

chewie wrote:

I bought the 12 inch single of Dancer with Girl From Uptown about ten years ago when I found it in a record store around here.

The Beat ?

Esoteric ?

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 11:36 am

James B. wrote:
chewie wrote:

I bought the 12 inch single of Dancer with Girl From Uptown about ten years ago when I found it in a record store around here.

The Beat ?

Esoteric ?

Esoteric!

BTW, They moved down to Fulton Ave. next to Turntables Unlimited because the Pawn shop wanted to expand.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 1:40 pm

chewie wrote:
James B. wrote:
chewie wrote:

The Beat ?

Esoteric ?

Esoteric!

BTW, They moved down to Fulton Ave. next to Turntables Unlimited because the Pawn shop wanted to expand.

That was my favorite mom n pop shop in the area. I always bought girl scout cookies from Ron's daughter.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am

Built To Destroy-MSG

Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 220px-Built_to_Destroy

Released Sept. 1983
Recorded in London
Produced my MSG and some dude
Chrysalis Records

The Betty on the cover is Caroline Dodd

Side one

1. "I'm Gonna Make You Mine" Nye, Barden, Schenker, McKenna 4:18
2. "Time Waits (For No One)" Nye, Barden 3:58
3. "Systems Failing" Barden, Schenker 4:25
4. "Rock Will Never Die" Barden, Schenker 5:55

Side two

5. "Red Sky" Schenker, Barden, Glen, McKenna, Luis Campuzano 5:15
6. "Rock My Nights Away" Nye, Barden 4:09
7. "Captain Nemo" Schenker 3:22
8. "Dogs of War" Barden, Schenker 4:23
9. "Still Love That Little Devil"

The return of Gary Barden. On the U.S release Derek St. Holmes of Ted Nugent fame sings the verses "Still Love Tha Little Devil". Other releases have Barden doing verses and chorus.
I think it would of been kewl if Derek sang on the whole album. Was that an intention that didn't work out ? Or just a guest spot by happenstamce ? Who Knows ?

The album flows well with "Rock Will Never Die", "Captain Nemo" and "Dogs Of War" being standout tracks. On some tracks the keyboards are to "poppy" if that makes any sense. The leadwork is top shelf of course, being that it's Schenker. I was excited when I got this but somewhat bummed out by certain aspects of it. Still a nice listen if ya like melodic hard rock with exceptional guitar playing.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 am

I like this, melodic poppy metal doesn't bother me if it's quality which this is. I think Schenker was desperate for a hit here.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Love this album and was the first Michael Schenker Group album I owned, which I bought as a new release.

I bought this on CD but I prefer the order that the original vinyl album has the songs sequenced,

The album opens with 'I'm Gonna Make you Mine' and goes to other melodic metal classics, at least classics to me 'Dogs of War; ' Red Sky' and the killer instrumental 'Captain Nemo'

Why this album did not push to the top I shall never understand, it was commerical enough for rock radio without losing its soul or artistic integrity
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 11:38 pm

My first MSG album!!!

Excellent album that I bought as a new release(got Budokan at the same time). Red Sky, the title track, Rock My Nights Away, Captain Nemo..... all good songs!

I bought the Japanese import about a year or two later, so I've had both versions since then & have enjoyed both(though the fade out on Nemo is annoying).
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 11:12 am

"One of the best live albums of the 1980's"

Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 220px-Rock_Will_Never_Die

Recorded at Hammersmith Odeon, London (Oct. 22-23, 1983)

Released in 1984 on the Chyrsalis label
Produced by Jack Douglas, Paul O' Neill, David Krebs, and Steve Leber

Track Listing (original release)

1."Captain Nemo" - 3:42
2."Rock My Nights Away" - 4:05
3."Are You Ready to Rock" - 4:07
4."Attack of the Mad Axeman" - 4:10
5."Into the Arena" - 4:00
6."Rock Will Never Die" - 5:25
7."Desert Song" - 6:00
8."I'm Gonna Make You Mine" - 4:57
9."Doctor Doctor" - 4:50

Track Listing (2009 remastered edition)

1."Captain Nemo" (Schenker) - 3:42
2."Rock My Nights Away" (Barden, Andy Nye) - 4:05
4."Cry for the Nations" - 5:12
5."Rock You to the Ground" (Schenker, Graham Bonnet) - 5:38
6."Attack of the Mad Axeman" - 4:10
7."Into the Arena" (Schenker) - 4:00
8."Courvoisier Concerto" (Schenker, Paul Raymond) - 2:13
9."Rock Will Never Die" - 5:25
10."Desert Song" (Schenker, Bonnet) - 6:00
11."I'm Gonna Make You Mine" (Schenker, Barden, Andy Nye) - 4:57
12."Red Sky" - 6:02
13."Looking for Love" - 3:45
14."Armed and Ready" - 4:46
15."Doctor Doctor" (Schenker, Phil Mogg) - 4:50

There is/was a VHS release of this show with following tracks

1."Captain Nemo" - 3:42
2."Rock My Nights Away" - 4:05
4."Attack of the Mad Axeman" - 4:10
5."Into the Arena" - 4:00
6."Courvoisier Concerto" - 2:13
7."Dream On (Rock Will Never Die)" - 5:25
8."Desert Song" - 6:00
9."I'm Gonna Make You Mine" - 4:57
10."Armed and Ready" - 4:46
11."Doctor Doctor" - 4:50

I'd forgotten all about Derek St. Holmes joining the touring line up after "Built To Destroy" untill I pulled out this album this morning and gave it a listen. Doing a lil research for this post, I think I'm gonne be getting the 2009 remaster. For those who care, both Rudolf and Klaus from the Scorps guest on the UFO tune "Doctor Doctor".

The reason I like this better than the other MSG live album is that the tunes from "Built To Destroy" have alot more energy and power to them. Cozy was on the other live album behind the kit, but Chris Glen and Ted Mc Kenna really, really click on this performance.
This is where I actually began to appreciate Ted's playing ability.

This is a nice lil snapshot of a band on fire. The expended version will more than likely only magnify that assessment. I have seen the VHS but actually never owned it. (a recent PM I received kinda/sorta gives me hope that that may soon change) Anyways, the songs represented here are just ballsier, heavier versions of the tunes from the albums they are on. So what can be said other than that ? Solid Release

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 11:16 am

I decided to hop over to the other "MSG" before continuing with this bands releases. Merely to keep the time-line in proper order. Laterz

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 11:40 am

This is an excellent live album and one of my favorite live albums I own.

Even the cover is cool. When I replaced it on CD I was surprised to see a few bonus cuts on the album, by the time this live disc was released this version of the Michael Schenker Group was over, and Schenker had to restart the entire project over.

Unit recently I had no idea there was a VHS version of this show released.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 220px-Perfect_Timing

Another take on MSG, this time the "M" refers to new vocalist Robin Mc Auley

This time around the release is on Capitol Records
Released Oct. 12. 1987
Recorded In Germany, Denmark, and good ol' El lay
Produced by Andy Johns

1."Gimme Your Love" (Rocky Newton, Robin McAuley) - 4:52
2."Here Today-Gone Tomorrow" (Michael Schenker, McAuley) - 4:38
3."Don't Stop Me Now" (Schenker, McAuley) - 3:56
4."No Time for Losers" (Schenker, McAuley) - 4:13
5."Follow the Night" (Schenker, McAuley) - 4:39
6."Get Out" (Schenker, McAuley) - 4:07
7."Love Is Not a Game" (Newton, McAuley, Alan Nelson) - 4:12
8."Time" (Schenker, McAuley, Newton) - 4:00
9."I Don't Wanna Lose" (Schenker, McAuley) - 4:15
10."Rock 'Til You're Crazy" (Schenker, McAuley) - 4:05

A 2000 Japaese re-issue has edited versions of two songs (wow)

I was bummed out and excited when I first heard about this. Bummed out that MSG had done a complete overhaul, but excited that they were back doing something again. I recall digging out a rarely listened to Grand Prix album to check out new dude's voice and song writing skills. As much as I dug Barden, Robin is a much more proficiient singer and has a better sense of melody. (IMHDO) This is evident in the songs, the way they are sung, and the way they were written. The tunes are very catchy, big choruses, and the guitar plaer and singer compliment one another on a different level than on previous MSG releases. The few songs that other guitarist Mitch Perry tackles lead duties only magnify the abilities of both him and Schenker. Another BIG noticable change is that Schenker wasn't involved in the songwriting on each and every tune. This doesn't detract from any of the tunes and it gives this release another dynamic that previous MSG line-ups and recording lacked. The evidence is found in the albums two best songs (IMHDO) "Gimme Your Love" and "Love Is Not A Game", Schenker did not help write either of those compositions. Other standout tracks are "Here Today, Gone Tomorow", "Don't Stop Me Now", and "Time".

As much as I dig those early 80's MSG releases, this is a step up. Great melodic hard rock. Talented performanced all the way around.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 10:48 pm

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 7:04 am

I have this album on vinyl and I am afraid I did not care for this line up as much as you did.

First I did not care for the slight name change, McAuley-Schenker Group. The songs were good and some just ok, yes very melodic, Robin McAuley certainly has an ear for AOR type of songs but this is not wanted to hear from Michael Schenker.

Granted his previous studio album was very commercial but I loved that disc, where this album I liked but it began my drifting away from Schenker's solo career.

The leads and solos on this disc are fantastic, the songwriting is not bad, maybe my issue is that it is so aimed at American radio, and I know others have done it, such as Rainbow, but for some reason that did not bother me, like this did.

I think being young I overacted to this type of what I viewed as a stylistic change.

I need to go on youtube and give this a fresh spin.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 11:31 am

Sure, this went into a more 80's pop sound but I really like it. This might be the most played MSG album I own. A much more band feel on this album.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:13 pm

MSG Live - I have all three of those versions LP, CD and the VHS. Great performance!!!!!

MSG- I was so excited when this came out because I got into them right as they were, apparently, breaking up.

No Time For Losers (great solo)
Follow The Night (this has to be my favorite song from this album)
Get Out
Rock Til Your Crazy

There are a lot of great songs on this and I wore this lp out! My only dissappointment was that there were no instrumentals on it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Number two release from this incarnation/version of MSG called 'Save Yourself"
Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 220px-Save_Yourself

Recorded in El Lay at One On One Studios
Released Oct. 10th, 1989 on Capitol/EMI Records
Produced by Frank Filipetti

1."Save Yourself" (Robin McAuley, Michael Schenker) - 6:16
2."Bad Boys" (McAuley, Schenker) - 4:04
3."Anytime" (Steve Mann, McAuley) - 5:44
4."Get Down to Bizness" (McAuley, Rocky Newton) - 4:22
5."Shadow of the Night" (McAuley, Schenker) - 5:20
6."What We Need" (McAuley, Schenker) - 4:13
7."I Am Your Radio" (Newton, Kenny Stewart) - 4:47
8."There Has to Be Another Way" (instrumental) (Schenker) - 1:49
9."This Is My Heart" (Newton, McAuley, Schenker, Mann, Bodo Schopf, Allan Nelson) - 4:57
10."Destiny" (Mann, McAuley) - 4:33
11."Take Me Back" (Newton, Stewart) - 4:50

2000 japanese version has edited single versions of "Anytime", "Save Yourself" and a bonus track called. "Vicious" (which is a good tune)

Only line-up flucuation is the addition of Steve Mann on lead, rhythm, acoustic guitars, and keyboards.

This album is better than "Perfect Timing" twofold. First, the songwriting and then Schenker just does what he does but on a different level than the previous album. Evident in the begining of the first song and title track, "Save Yourself" This album has more of what made "Perfect Timing" good but it has more "crunch". Even the ballads, "Shadows of The Night" and "This is My Heart" are not too keyboard heavy sappy stuff (subjective of course) The instrumental, "There Has To Be Another Way" is probably the mellowest tune on the whole cd. Even the cheesy, "I Am Your Radio" has redeeming qualities with interesting guitar fills. I like every song and it's hard to pick a favorite, but if I did it would be the tilte track. "Bad Boys"
or maybe "Destiny" ?

Like I said step up from the first Mc Auley Schenker album overall.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 7:38 pm

I haven't listened to this in probably 20 years as I never replaced the cassette. I remembering liking it, might have to go check it out again.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 11:02 pm

I don't mind the album but again I just did not like this more commercial direction he took with this line up.

I know that Michael Schenker's other vocalist where not exactly the Bob Dylan's of the metal world in terms of lyrics but some of the lyrics and song titles are so cliche ridden, I am surprised these set of lyrics survived pass the demo stage. Granted I like KISS and Motley Crue so maybe I should not be so nick pickey over lyrics.

I am going to spin this album and see if I like it any better, but not one of my favs from Schenker.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 6:10 pm

Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 220px-MSG_cover

The 3rd and final studio release from The McAuley Shenker Group
Recorded at 4 different studios in around El Lay, Calif
Released Feb. 1992 on Impact Records (USA)EMI (Japan and Europe)
Produced by Kevin Beamish and Frank Filipetti.

All songs written by McAuley/Schenker except as noted below

1."Eve" - 4:52
2."Paradise" - 4:07
3."When I'm Gone" (Jesse Harms, Robin McAuley) - 4:47
4."This Broken Heart" - 4:47
5."We Believe in Love" - 5:12
6."Crazy" (Rocky Newton, Robin McAuley) - 4:53
7."Invincible" - 3:42
8."What Happens to Me" - 5:02
9."Lonely Nights" - 4:29
10."This Night Is Gonna Last Forever" (Rocky Newton, Kenny Stewart) - 4:51
11."(Never Ending) Nightmare" - 6:24

Good tunes, although genric for the most part. Not as "produced" as the previous two releases. Stand out tracks are "Eve", "When I'm Gone", "This Broken Heart", "What Happened To Me" (very very Scorps like) and "Never Ending Nightmare". I don't really care for "Crazy". Good companion to the other releases by McAuley/Schenker (who came too late for the game) Just like this release. Overall, Robin sings great. Schenker is Schenker. Always have wanted more music from this band. Jeff Pilson of Dokken "fame" plays bass guitar.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:18 pm

This album is a little better then the previous album, and again Schenker pursues that radio friendly almost AOR sound, but by this point, at least as far as America goes, this sound was dead in the water.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:26 pm

manny wrote:
This album is a little better than the previous album.

I am of the same opinion now that I've listened back-to-back.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 12:39 am

I've gotten behind.

Save Yourself has some good songs, like the title track, Shadow of the Night, Take Me Back, There Has to Be Another Way, What We Need and some really bad ones(I am your radio, bitch please!!!!)

The '92 album I just couldn't get into. I don't know what it is that I don't like about it. Eve is a good song, so is Never Ending Nightmare and also When I'm Gone. I can't even remember what the rest of the songs sound like.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 5:23 am

Just listened to it this morning and the 1992 'MSG' is actually a better then I remember it being. I did not buy this album as a new release but it already been out for close to a decade when I found a used copy dirt cheap.

My already built in prejudice towards this line up had softened a bit over the years which gave me a fresh perspective, which if I had listened to this 1992 as a new release, I would dismissed it as more of the same pop metal fodder.

The songs are still geared toward American rock radio, but they are well written. While Robin McAuley maybe a technically a better vocalist then Gary Barden, he lacks the charisma and personality then Barden had. That is not to say that McAuley is generic, he is far from that. His vocals are melodic and can be a bit gritty, at least as gritty as type of metal allows.

Fantastic leads from Michael Schenker. Solos you can hum too, not a terrible album, but certainly not as good as his earlier albums.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 11:59 am

Out of the three I have a soft spot for the first one as I listened to it the most. Nothing wrong with trying to have a hit and that's what these three were about. If you like the poppier side of hard rock these are high quality albums.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 9:47 am

Since the 3 or 4 people have read and chimed in, I'll move on Laughing very hard

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michael Schenker Group Discography
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next