Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag

Number of posts : 9780

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:55 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

LOL!!! If you must know, I went to Catholic school at the time and it was a normal bus.....

Bet you looked "hot" in one of those plaid skirts Leo

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:01 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
The last Rush album I really liked for a long time....

Sounds like someone needs to get a copy of Grace Under Pressure. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 12810

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:04 pm

James B. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

LOL!!! If you must know, I went to Catholic school at the time and it was a normal bus.....

Bet you looked "hot" in one of those plaid skirts Leo

LOL - more like trying to get under the girls plaid skirts......with not much luck
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 12810

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:05 pm

S.D. wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
The last Rush album I really liked for a long time....

Sounds like someone needs to get a copy of Grace Under Pressure. Very Happy

I will probably revisit it one of these days. I hated it back in the day
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 5012

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 pm

This is when I really got into Rush, so I love this album!!!!! I bought Signals and Moving Pictures on the same day and played them both to death. I've always like Countdown, it's a fun song. Losing It has a killer violin solo by Ben Mink (from FM, Canadian prog band, and later k.d. lang) and is a great and moving song.

Another excellent album with great songs!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:56 am

Grace Under Pressure (released Apr 12, 1984)

Grace Under Pressure seems to be one of the most misunderstood albums in Rush's discography. I know it confused me for many years...while I always liked the album it wasn't until fairly recently that this album's real impact hit me. Looking back now almost 30 years later I would consider it a classic Rush album.

GUP is a natural extension to the sound Rush was exploring on Signals, but this time they self-produced the album and went even further in trying out new styles and sounds. At the time of this release I remember many people mentioning how "cold and calculated" the album sounded...maybe it does, but the sound of the record matches the lyrical contributions perfectly.

The album also coincided with the rise to prominence of MTV and I remember watching videos for Distant Early Warning and The Body Electric. The music has aged better than those videos...

This album contains a few of my favorite Rush tracks. Afterimage is a gorgeous song about loss and it's a Rush classic, Red Sector A continues the creepy vibe of The Weapon and became a concert favorite. Between The Wheels is another fantastic Rush mini-epic and was the song I played the most from this album...it was brought back into the live set recently.

The Body Electric seems to have been completely forgotten over the years, which I don't understand because it's a great track...it never makes it onto compilations, they finally added this song back into the setlist on the Clockwork Angels tour. Red Lenses is another tune that I always wished they would play in concert, it's got such a great groove to it.

Listening to this album again I realize that I love all the songs on here and I think it's just as strong as Signals. Rush really learned how to use the recording studio as an instrument on this album as the production is very layered and has an interesting vibe to it. This practice would backfire on them in the next couple years but it's balanced fairly well here. Some of keyboard sounds are pretty dated now, but the strength of the songwriting and performances makes up for it.

While not really a "concept album" it does hold together amazingly well and feels greater than the sum of its parts when listened to as a whole.

Last edited by S.D. on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:14 am

You missed the "birth of MTV" by almost three years Shawn Laughing very hard

This album came out in early '84 and MTV hit the air in the summer of '81.

I dug out this record the other day and spun both sides two times in a row.

Has a good flow and my favorite tunes are "Kid Gloves" and "The Body Electric"

Not a bad tune on the album actually, although I didn't listen to it much at all when it was a new release.

Number of posts : 5016

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:19 am

This is the last of Rush's albums that I truly love for a long while. Power Windows was pretty good, and after that until Counterparts I don't enjoy much from the albums in between.

My favorite track has to be "Red Sector A", but I love the entire thing. And like ol' SD here I didn't immediately love this one like I did with every album before it. But when it grew on me, it became one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker

Number of posts : 5131

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:46 pm

I love the 80's ouput, yeah the drums started to have "that" sound but it was ok by me. While people were dropping off the Rush train I was solidly on board and this is a great album.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss

Number of posts : 19944

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:01 pm

At the time of this album's release, I liked the single ok, but I pretty much was disappointed with the album and as a matter a fact would not own it for several years after it was released.

Listening to it now, I don't think its a terrible album, just the opposite I think it is a great album and like S.D. said a natural progression from " Signals" to this album.

The songs lyrically a bit more complex then their previous albums, not as introspective as the previous three seemed to be. Some the songs even have a slight hint of political commentary without really pointing fingers or identifying themselves with those on the left or the right.

Thanks to this posting, I am currently spinning the disc, and I have to say it sounds great, the 13 year old kid back then would find it hard to believe his 42 year old version of himself enjoys the albums so much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:31 pm

James B. wrote:

Depends on the perspective of where you lived during that era. Sure, if you were in a large city you probably had MTV in 1981. Grow up in a more rural area like I did and you were lucky to even have cable TV available in 1983. I stand by what I said because I think MTV really started to take off "in a big way" circa 83 and 84 when more cable providers offered it and bands started to really focus on making their presence felt in music videos. It was still very niche in 81 & 82. I should have phrased it as "the rise of MTV".

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:41 pm

S.D. wrote:
James B. wrote:

Depends on the perspective of where you lived during that era. Sure, if you were in a large city you probably had MTV in 1981. Grow up in a more rural area like I did and you were lucky to even have cable TV available in 1983. I stand by what I said because I think MTV really started to take off "in a big way" circa 83 and 84 when more cable providers offered it and bands started to really focus on making their presence felt in music videos. It was still very niche in 81 & 82. I should have phrased it as "the rise of MTV".

I did not exactly live in a rural area but I experienced the same thing, one side of my street had cable and on my side of the street we did not
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 pm

You could have phrased it as "Shawns first exposure to MTV" and I'd be happy with it. Laughing very hard That is actually closest to being correct no matter the perspective. It would be like somebody saying the birth of KISS was 1977, because that was when they bought their first KISS album after the (rural)town they lived in finally got a record store.

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:07 pm

James B. wrote:
You could have phrased it as "Shawns first exposure to MTV" and I'd be happy with it. Laughing very hard That is actually closest to being correct no matter the perspective. It would be like somebody saying the birth of KISS was 1977, because that was when they bought their first KISS album after the (rural)town they lived in finally got a record store.

My first exposure to music videos was "HBO Video Jukebox" which started airing in 1981. That was what turned me onto Iron Maiden and Judas Priest in 1982, I also remember seeing the video to Subdivisions in '82. HBO also used to air music videos between films in the late 70s. So I was familiar with the format prior to getting MTV in late 1983.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:12 pm

sorry if I was being a jerk about Shawn

Metal master

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Moving Pictures was my very first album and is probably one of my favorite albums of all time. Quite a first album. This album has never grown old or stale. The one thing that I like about Rush and this album in particular is the way it sucks you in. Listening to Rush is like reading a book or watching a really good movie and you just can't put it down or turn away. Songs like Red Barchetta bring vivid images of driving that convertible with reckless abandon so much so it's a "bucket list" item. Funny, how a song can conjure up such strong emotion. I identify so many memories of my youth with this album. My musical awakening or birth started with a bang. Next up was Exit Stage Left, which I bought from a friend not long after getting Moving Pictures. This was probably one of the most listened to album by the band. The songs live brought a dimention to the songs that pop. In fact I didn't hear the studio versions until quite a bit later and they sounded weird to me, especially "A Passage to Bangkok" (which was left off the CD???). I don't mind that it isn't just one concert, but I do wonder why. I didn't go back and get the prior albums until a couple of years ago. 2112 was a good album and I did hear the title song completely a few times, yet it didn't hit as hard as songs like "The Camera Eye" or "YYZ". I guess I made up my mind that old Rush was my brothers and new Rush was mine. He saw them several times prior to Moving Pictures and even saw them on that tour. Now that I'm old and set in my ways, maybe its time to change and break out the first few albums and give them a real listen. Signals was in my mind an outstanding follow up. "Losing It" was such a killer song that caused a pain in the heart, the strong imagery really made you feel for that dancer and writer. All great songs. A classic. Now Grace Under Pressure was a big disappointment at the time. I expected another platter of amazement and felt it came up short. Now (how many years later) I understand the album and really like it. I somehow missed "Afterimage" at the time, but now that song is right up there with the rest of the best. "Kid Gloves" is another one I listen to quite a bit now.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:20 pm

I really like Grace under Pressure, i bought it and instantly liked it.
I had Red Sector A running when we (school class) when on a trip in the Czech Republic and visited Theresienstadt, one of many Nazi Concentration camps...it wasn't a death camp like Auschwitz but the pain and suffering could be felt in every corner, having the song playing while walking into one of those baracks is just creepy and works perfectly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
chewie
Metal is Forever

Number of posts : 5012

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 am

What Happened?!?!?!?!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:56 am

POWER WINDOWS - (released Oct. 29, 1985)

Some albums are timeless, some are shackled to the time they were created, Power Windows falls into the latter category.

If there was ever an album that summed up 1980's studio production excess, this one wouldn't be a bad choice. In essence the band was still basically on the same path as Grace Under Pressure...but whereas that album featured the band still creating the bulk of the music, Power Windows lumps on everything but the kitchen sink in an effort to sound "modern" and "epic"...and the result is that 28 years later it just sounds horribly 80s.

There are definitely some good songs here, but you have to strain to hear them underneath all the studio clutter. Here's where the mistake happened....

Power Windows basic tracks were recorded very quickly to try and keep a spontaneous vibe to the performance...but then Peter Collins made the mistake of bringing in Andy Richards to add programming, keyboards & other assorted elements to the basic tracks. While I'm not going to lay ALL the blame on Richards, he does deserve his fair share...not a MINUTE of this album is allowed to just happen, to just be guitar, bass & drums...every instant has to have all this additional gloss applied to it. Here's a good example...

The song Marathon starts out promising with an energetic beat and reallly kick ass bassline courtesy of Geddy. The problem begins during the chorus, as the keyboard layering begins to distract from the rest of the song, so all you hear is vocals and this constant "pad" underneath. Following a great mid-section the song completely derails when Richards adds a 25-piece vocal choir to the chorus...a promising song, murdered.

That pretty much sums up alot of the record. Big Money has always been a good song, but man it's hard to listen to the original studio version of this anymore, all the drum triggers and garbage added to the top...thankfully the group has performed this song frequently over the years and I've found recent live versions that allow me to really enjoy the song.

The song that best survives the programming assault is Middletown Dreams. The first song written for the album, it has the sparsest production (though still a ton of programming is present) and feels organic. It has a great bassline and a gorgeous chorus, this is one of the few songs where Lifeson's guitar solo really jumps out, for the most part he's buried on this album.

Territories is another standout track that features the band mixing in a little eastern tonality into their sound, it's one of the more complex pieces on the album and has recently been added back into their setlist on the Clockwork Angels tour...I look forward to checking that out when the live DVD drops.

Manhattan Project has a terrible verse section, but the song is almost saved by the great chorus and the string-section bridge. Mystic Rhythms is a moody closing piece nicely arranged to accentuate Peart's lyrics.

The album hit the Top Ten on the Billboard charts and went Platinum.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:00 am

Over the years this album has grown on me somewhat, but to me its a snapshot in time of the band in the 80's.

Everything, except for the lyrics, says the 80's to me, I know next to nothing about production, but this has a similar sound to alot of bands that were not hard rock/metal bands did on their albums.

A good album that I enjoy, and a few these songs won me over by hearing the live versions which were superior to the studio versions.

I had no idea that 'Territories' was in the current setlist, which is really cool and look forward to the DVD.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:34 am

This is the point that Jimmy-boy bailed on a band of his youth pretty much for good.

It was just too hard to clown all the new wave bands from one side of the mouth and then have one of "your bands" sound way too much like them without thinking, "something is wrong".

A few years ago, I found this on vinyl at a local thrift shop (along with Grace and the follow up to this for .49 a pop) and gave it some fresh ears. Needless to say, I havn't been in the mood to listen since. Rush has so much more to offer than this type of stuff (IMHDO) They went from trend setters to trend followers and got lost in the process. Of course, they were not the only 70's band to do so throughout the 1980.s and beyond.

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:44 am

Jimmy-Boy needs to listen to Clockwork Angels and Snakes & Arrows, you might be surprised.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker

Number of posts : 5131

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:48 am

I think bands had to decide if they wanted to keep selling how to do so with the changes in sound. I think you are right on though I don't think it's as bad as you do but I didn't mind the 80's sound. This one is a middling album but I think it's because the songs aren't that strong, at least not as strong as the next album which i'm betting you will really hate. Very Happy No offense intended either. And you didn't mention Mystic Rhythms.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:00 pm

S.D. wrote:
Jimmy-Boy needs to listen to Clockwork Angels and Snakes & Arrows, you might be surprised.

I recnetly got "Clockwork Angels" and have noticed (along with the help of the recent "Living On The Lighted Stage" dvd) that they have gone back to basics in recent years. I enjoyed the (recent) music shown in Dunn's documentary and also my limited listens to "Clockwork".

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:07 pm

I don't think Rush was caving to any external pressure to change their sound, they had a "hands off clause" in their contract that gave them sole creative control over their albums. I think they did exactly what they wanted to do. Geddy was very interested during that era in embracing new technologies and the band had zero interest in remaining the same from album to album, they wanted to continually evolve and try new things. Regardless of all the studio additions Andy Richards added (which forced the band to play along with pre-recorded backing tapes in concert) the songwriting is still very much "Rush".

It's important to remember that their long-term relationship with producer Terry Brown ended because he didn't want to make electronic heavy albums, he wanted them to retain the essence of being a power trio, but the band already had their minds made up about the direction they wanted to explore. Thus they hired pop producer Peter Collins to assist them in expanding their sonic palette.

Geddy has said recently that he believes in hindsight they went too far down the programming rabbit-hole on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire, but at the time it was exactly what they wanted to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The RUSH discography   

Back to top Go down

The RUSH discography
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next