Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's

Go down 
+13
Witchfinder
brokentulsa
MoonChild
Orion Crystal Ice
exact33
kmorg
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
Big Rich
Dark Horseman
Addy
thejokeriv
jettafiend
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Empty
PostSubject: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 12:37 am

... And of course they drop the ball... again.

Michael Jackson beats out Maiden!?! These guys are on something...

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Top-10-Riffs-of-the-80s.aspx?fb=GibsonGuitar
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 7:57 am

Ouch...... just wrong! We could all come up with a much better list (as usual when it comes to this list!)

And no Maiden????? 11:58 should be SOMEWHERE on that list!!!!
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 10:10 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Ouch...... just wrong! We could all come up with a much better list (as usual when it comes to this list!)

And no Maiden????? 11:58 should be SOMEWHERE on that list!!!!

At the very least, they could have gone with "Run to the Hills." That intro is epic to the point where people who are not even Maiden fans recognize it!!

Just going with popular tunes, here are a few that they missed (IMO):

Quiet Riot - Bang Your Head, Cum on Feel the Noise
Poison - Fallen Angel, Talk Dirty To Me
Ratt - Way Cool Jr, Round and Round
Aerosmith - Dude (Looks Like a Lady)
Metallica - Seek and Destroy
Megadeth - Peace Sells
Alice Cooper - Trash, Poison
Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine, You Give Love a Bad Name
Cinderella - Gypsy Road, Fallen Apart at the Seams
Slaughter - Up All Night, Burnin Bridges (I don't remember the year this was released tho, might have been '90)
and the plethora of Kiss albums to choose from.

It is all subjective anyway, it's just too bad they didn't give some credit to the less popular axe slingers. I do like that they topped the list with AC/DC.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 10:52 am

I think that list is a joke I agree with a few but thats it

I like Jettafiend's list better
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 11:34 am

Addy wrote:

I like Jettafiend's list better

headbanger

I just realized that I forgot to add Stryper!! Pick any tune off the first 3 albums, sans the ballads, and the song has a monster riff.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 12:19 pm

I don't think it's a terrible list. As subjective as this is it has some songs with good riffs so for once I don't think it's ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 675

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 12:36 pm

I usually hate when people say this, but that list sucks.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I don't think it's a terrible list. As subjective as this is it has some songs with good riffs so for once I don't think it's ridiculous.

Agreed. It might not be my personal choices, but the ones they picked are all pretty memorable and recognizable, even by non-music fans.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 12:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

Agreed. It might not be my personal choices, but the ones they picked are all pretty memorable and recognizable, even by non-music fans.

The sad thing is, when 9 out of 10 of those songs come on the radio, I feel compelled to make my way down the dial.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 12:50 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

The sad thing is, when 9 out of 10 of those songs come on the radio, I feel compelled to make my way down the dial.

Well, that will have to wait until someone assembles "The Top 10 Songs That Radio Ruined Forever By Playing the Ever Loving Sh*t Out Of Them". Razz

Hey Rolling Stone, where's that list?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 1:00 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

Well, that will have to wait until someone assembles "The Top 10 Songs That Radio Ruined Forever By Playing the Ever Loving Sh*t Out Of Them". Razz

Hey Rolling Stone, where's that list?

...and the #1 song on that list is You Shook Me All Night Long!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 1:01 pm

You have to play a Gibson guitar to get on that list....

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 1:05 pm

kmorg wrote:
You have to play a Gibson guitar to get on that list....

Quiet Riot
Poison (Not every tune, granted)
Cinderella
Aerosmith
Randy Rhodes
Zak Wylde

All play Gibsons
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 1:06 pm

There really isn't anything wrong with the list, all those songs are insanely catchy. Most of them are overplayed and there are a couple tracks in there that I really don't like (Photograph, Sweet Child)...yet I still remember EXACTLY what they sound like so they are memorable.

I would probably replace the Clash tune with Joan Jett's "I Love Rock N Roll" simply because I think more people remember that song.

There was more going on in the 80s than hair metal.

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 1:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
There really isn't anything wrong with the list, all those songs are insanely catchy. Most of them are overplayed and there are a couple tracks in there that I really don't like (Photograph, Sweet Child)...yet I still remember EXACTLY what they sound like so they are memorable.

I would probably replace the Clash tune with Joan Jett's "I Love Rock N Roll" simply because I think more people remember that song.

There was more going on in the 80s than hair metal.

True, and the Joan Jett is a good call. I didn't even think about that one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 1:44 pm

If I had to put a list like this together "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" by Yes would definitely be on it.

Even a goofy little riff like "Everybody Wants You" by Billy Squier is quite indicative of the era it came out.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 4:33 pm

S.D. wrote:
If I had to put a list like this together "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" by Yes would definitely be on it.

Even a goofy little riff like "Everybody Wants You" by Billy Squier is quite indicative of the era it came out.

I would add Dire Straits - Money For Nothing. That dang riff gets stuck in my head quite a bit.

Also The Kinks - Destroyer has a fantastic riff.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 8:13 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

my thoughts too but I think the list is pretty good. I could see omitting the michael jackson, clash and def leppard but the others are very strong.

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 8:19 pm

jettafiend wrote:

I would add Dire Straits - Money For Nothing. That dang riff gets stuck in my head quite a bit.

Also The Kinks - Destroyer has a fantastic riff.

Agreed on both counts, that Dire Straits riff sounded like an instant classic when it came out in '85.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Straits is a riffbox. I totally understand the 'Beat It' thing. I thought that both the lead and the riff was EVH for the longest time because it sounded so much like him, was surprised to learn only the lead is him.

It would never happen, but it would be cool to see some Running Wild on the list. 'Riding the Storm' or maybe 'Mordor'. Played on a Gibson Explorer, so...
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 1:09 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Straits is a riffbox. I totally understand the 'Beat It' thing. I thought that both the lead and the riff was EVH for the longest time because it sounded so much like him, was surprised to learn only the lead is him.

It would never happen, but it would be cool to see some Running Wild on the list. 'Riding the Storm' or maybe 'Mordor'. Played on a Gibson Explorer, so...

headbanger
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 3:32 am

Addy wrote:
grim reaper
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 11:29 pm

I would dump Michael Jackson, The clash and the stones from this list..Instead of those three I would have to say maidens "Run to the hills", Saxons "denim and leather" and Quiet Riots "metal health" would be better suited.
I also question Back In Black...I think "Flick of the Switch" or "for those about to rock" would be better choices. I also think Def Leppards "High And Dry" or "Waysted" belongs here instead of photograph. Kinda hard to leave out Crue and Metallica also.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 11:51 pm

"Start Me Up" is one of the most identifiable guitar riffs in history, it's probably programmed into peoples DNA at this point. It most certainly deserves to be on the list.

If the list was called "Most Memorable METAL riffs of the 80s" then I could see people complaining, but it's not.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 3:18 pm

S.D. wrote:
"Start Me Up" is one of the most identifiable guitar riffs in history, it's probably programmed into peoples DNA at this point. It most certainly deserves to be on the list.

If the list was called "Most Memorable METAL riffs of the 80s" then I could see people complaining, but it's not.

SD is spot on. I may be a Stone's fanboy but Start Me Up certainly deserves to be on the list - i would imagine very few people would not recognize the riff.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's   Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gibson's Top 10 guitar riffs of the 80's
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: