Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Enjoying reading more than music these days

Go down 
+11
MetalGuy71
jettafiend
DallasBlack
exact33
Hamer12
tohostudios
Orion Crystal Ice
Witchfinder
chewie
Sole Survivor
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Sole Survivor
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sole Survivor

Number of posts : 75

Enjoying reading more than music these days Empty
PostSubject: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Am I the only one?

I am not listening to music much these days. I take a book in my hands instead.

I sold almost all of my christian rock and metal collection and am planning to do the same with my secular music.

I am making decisions to leave a small collection of music for the days I want to listen something.

I find new music uninspiring. I haven´t bought any new music in a long time. There seems not to be anything worth of it.

When I listen to music, I listen the old albums I have and.. those I enjoy. The music I´m planning to keep are from early 90´s untill the end of the 90´s.

I love live-music, but because of my family I have no time to enjoy it at the moment.

Strange. There was a time I was a sucker for new music.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:21 pm

I've been the other way around for a while now. There's no way that I would get rid of my books, though!

I'll let my kids enjoy them............
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:33 pm

I would be real careful about unloading everything. I've gone through periods of apathy about music...and movies...and books, etc. However, eventually that period comes to an end and your passion returns. Then you just end up having to buy everything again.

I wouldn't jump too fast into this.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7612

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:39 pm

I'll echo what SD said. Don't be so quick to ditch the collection. I sold my collection many times during the 90s when cash was tight and regretted it every time. I haven't sold anything for 15 years now and I don't plan to start any time soon. I do go through periods where I don't feel like listening to anything or writing reviews but then some song kickstarts my interest again and it's off to the races.

I also find that the more stressed I am, the less time I will spend tracking down music. For instance, when I was going through a divorce a few years ago, I bought albums but never really listened to them and stopped keeping up with the world of Metal. Luckily, that time passed and my passion for it is as strong as ever.

I say give it some time and see if you still feel the same way.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 6:43 pm

You need some new experiences to unlock what you can potentially experience in art, all the languages of expression in the whole world can be thrown at you but if you don't speak them, no beauty will be evident in their prose. Or it could be you only need to listen in a different way. Don't be discouraged or final about the music. Of course, remember that this is coming from somebody who can't fathom a world without it, and wouldn't bother to live in such a world.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 7:13 pm

There's a medical term for this. It's called "Nightwish-itis"; a serious inflammation of the ears caused by listening to too much pretentious, overblown, operatic power metal. Laughing

Seriously though, as others have said, don't do the "unload everything" route because you'll probably end up regretting it. Unless you need the money, just put the CDs away and let them gather dust. My guess is you'll rediscover your love for them later.

Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 7:53 pm

I've been that way with motorcycles for a while now. Rode for the first time in 3 months tonight. No way I would sell any of them, I know I would regret it. I've had a bike since I was 10!!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:33 pm

I get burned out and then go on to other stuff for awhile but I agree - dont get rid the stuff you have. You will want it back again, even if you dont see yourself listening to it again.

I try to listen to music as work and then listen to the talk shows in the car. I dont get a ton of time to listen at home but I do try to relax to something mellow before bed.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:38 pm

I've ditched a large portion of my collection (for religious reasons) before and I've re-purchased almost all of it down the road. If you must ditch it, rip them to a computer and also store them in a external hard drive (to be stored safely-mine is in a fire proof safe). The back up is there in case of an emergency. Last year when I was fired and denied unemployment I sold a large amount of CDs on here. The hard drive on my computer (external) stopped working and I couldn't get it fixed. Over a dozen CDs I sold, while confident to having it ripped) have been lost to me. More would have been lost if some HoM metal members sent me copies of some of the lost albums.

For me, I haven't been able to listen to nearly as much music as I used to because my workplace forbids it (and I spend almost more time at work than I do waking time at home). On the same token, I'm trying to read more as I haven't read a full book in over a year and I used to read them all the time.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:45 pm

One fringe benefit of my job, I can crank it up as loud as I want!!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Hamer12 wrote:
One fringe benefit of my job, I can crank it up as loud as I want!!

I hates you!

Enjoying reading more than music these days Yosemite_sam-5237
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 4:48 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I'll echo what SD said. Don't be so quick to ditch the collection. I sold my collection many times during the 90s when cash was tight and regretted it every time. I haven't sold anything for 15 years now and I don't plan to start any time soon. I do go through periods where I don't feel like listening to anything or writing reviews but then some song kickstarts my interest again and it's off to the races.

I also find that the more stressed I am, the less time I will spend tracking down music. For instance, when I was going through a divorce a few years ago, I bought albums but never really listened to them and stopped keeping up with the world of Metal. Luckily, that time passed and my passion for it is as strong as ever.

I say give it some time and see if you still feel the same way.

Ditto!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:38 am

I wish I had more time to read.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39597

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:10 pm

When I read I need it to be nice and quiet (although music can be playing in the background). Too many distractions if the tv's on,people talking to you,etc. My ideal time is beofre I leave for work but that's only about 10-15 minutes and it ends up taking me a while to finish a book.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Sole Survivor wrote:

Am I the only one?

I am not listening to music much these days. I take a book in my hands instead.

I sold almost all of my christian rock and metal collection and am planning to do the same with my secular music.

I am making decisions to leave a small collection of music for the days I want to listen something.

I find new music uninspiring. I haven´t bought any new music in a long time. There seems not to be anything worth of it.

When I listen to music, I listen the old albums I have and.. those I enjoy. The music I´m planning to keep are from early 90´s untill the end of the 90´s.

I love live-music, but because of my family I have no time to enjoy it at the moment.

Strange. There was a time I was a sucker for new music.

You just described me as to where I am now. I am reading way more than listening to/ buying music these days. Last year, I unloaded a bunch of CD's away. Maybe I'm getting older, I don't know, but I'm with you on this one.
Back to top Go down
Sole Survivor
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sole Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 2:01 am

tohostudios wrote:
There's a medical term for this. It's called "Nightwish-itis"; a serious inflammation of the ears caused by listening to too much pretentious, overblown, operatic power metal. Laughing

lol!

Nightwish is actually one of the rare bands that I find inspiring at the moment.

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 2:03 am

Sole Survivor wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

lol!

Nightwish is actually one of the rare bands that I find inspiring at the moment.

Smile

You should read more. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Sole Survivor
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sole Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 8:31 am

S.D. wrote:

lol!

I guess both of us are right Razz
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 10:08 am

At times I've gotten really burned out on reading. Starting books and then never finishing them. I still have never gone back to reading fiction despite being a big reader. Even the non-fiction stuff has to really grab me for me to finish it. I've become a big skim reader unfortunately.

Still can't bring myself to sell all my books though. I still even hit up library book sales too. Guess I'm hopeful my love of reading will one day come back.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 6:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
Sole Survivor wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

lol!

Smile

Laughing very hard

lol!

I am pretty burned out on tv at the moment. I just dont find a lot of stuff interesting right now.

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12622

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 9:01 am

I am currently reading a book that instructs one on not only how to listen to music, but informs the individual on the merits of purchasing it in the manner that suits you best.

humor (or lack thereof aside) The hunt is usually more interesting

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 1:13 pm

I guess I can read under most situations. Just yesterday while listening to some music on a killer sound system quite loudly (rented a truck this weekend, mine is in the shop), I was able to read and finish my book.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 4:01 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I guess I can read under most situations. Just yesterday while listening to some music on a killer sound system quite loudly (rented a truck this weekend, mine is in the shop), I was able to read and finish my book.

I do love reading to music. Tolkien and metal just go great together.

Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 6:36 pm

When i read to music i make sure the album is either from the year the book was released/written or earlier. If im reading a book from 1998 for example, i'd prefer to be listening to music that was around at that time to keep me in the mood. Of course, for books pre-1970 i dont follow this rule (i dont have much pre-70s music).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enjoying reading more than music these days   Enjoying reading more than music these days Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enjoying reading more than music these days
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: