Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use? Empty
PostSubject: Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use?   Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:27 am

I guess this is the best place for this thread?

Do you have a turntable that you hooked up to your computer to rip your vinyl to MP3?

I've looked at some of the turntables with USBs on Amazon and such, but I just don't know what is actually good. I'd like to be able to rip my vinyl to MP3, for listening in the car, but I'd like to get at least decent sound and everything.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use?   Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:35 pm

I don't like the turntables that rip directly to .mp3. It is much smarter to rip to a lossless format like .wav or .flac for archiving purposes, then convert to .mp3 for portability.

I use a regular turntable and a stand-alone phono pre-amp for vinyl transfers, this allows me the flexibility to record into whatever format I want.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use?   Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
I don't like the turntables that rip directly to .mp3. It is much smarter to rip to a lossless format like .wav or .flac for archiving purposes, then convert to .mp3 for portability.

I use a regular turntable and a stand-alone phono pre-amp for vinyl transfers, this allows me the flexibility to record into whatever format I want.

SD, can you describe the setup that you use to do this - equipment, programs, etc...? I would like to do this as well.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use?   Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Technics turntable plugged into a Hafler DH-101 Pre-amplifier. Output of the Hafler goes into the analog input on the back of my Mac Mini (via Y cable), record directly into Audacity (Mac freeware).

Sometimes if I really want to play around with the overall sound I'll open the file in Logic Pro and remaster it.

When recording into .wav file I will generally use 24bit/96khz.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use?   Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 1:18 pm

S.D. wrote:
Technics turntable plugged into a Hafler DH-101 Pre-amplifier. Output of the Hafler goes into the analog input on the back of my Mac Mini (via Y cable), record directly into Audacity (Mac freeware).

Sometimes if I really want to play around with the overall sound I'll open the file in Logic Pro and remaster it.

When recording into .wav file I will generally use 24bit/96khz.

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use?   Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 2:56 pm

NO, i play my vinyls on a turntable and i put my cd´s if i feel like it on the computer to play it on my ipod etc..
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use?   Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:40 pm

My ex bought me a all-in-one. I can burn vinyl, cassettes, cds, even stuff off the radio onto cdr in mp3 or data. It works decent, but picks up every little sound, so the vinyl has to be perfect or it thinks it is still the same track. It IS pretty awesome for stuff that has/is vinyl only!! And it looks like an old fashioned 40's console radio that the whole family used to gather around to listen to WETF they used to listen back then [always reminds me of A Christmas Story though...].
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use?   Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:11 pm

My turntable is capable to burn vinyl to mp3 but it doesn't sound that good. I'd rather use my stereo cd burner to record it to cd then rip to mp3 takes longer but the quality is so much better!

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use?   Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you rip vinyl to MP3? What do you use?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: