Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great Groove Metal

Go down 
+11
Thrasher73
tohostudios
Wurthless
DallasBlack
mc666
jettafiend
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Orion Crystal Ice
Andy
Temple of Blood
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 6:41 pm

http://www.reverbnation.com/bizarro
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 am

The title of this thread is an oxymoron.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 am

like this?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 am

Andy wrote:

I was waiting for someone to say that. lol!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Might as well not like rhythm either.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:41 pm

I like groove metal a whole lot more than dungeons & dragons power metal crap.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Oh... So THATS groove metal... Um... angry
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:42 am

Andy wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:52 am

mc666 wrote:
Andy wrote:
Rolling Eyes

AGREED.

I was listening to some Judas Priest earlier tonight, Hell Bent For Leather and British Steel...there is GROOVE all over those records!

People who say groove doesn't belong in metal are clueless to what groove actually is. Not oxymorons...just morons.

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 am

S.D. wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Andy wrote:
Rolling Eyes

AGREED.

I was listening to some Judas Priest earlier tonight, Hell Bent For Leather and British Steel...there is GROOVE all over those records!

People who say groove doesn't belong in metal are clueless to what groove actually is. Not oxymorons...just morons.

Aerosmith are groove masters.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:29 am

It seems like certain people talk crap about groove being used in metal just because they don't like Pantera. Groove has been in metal since the beginning... Just listen to "Sweet Leaf" by Black Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:13 pm

My opinion on the "Groove Metal" thing is that a good bassist and drummer will create a groove in a song if they are flowing together as a unit. I personally LOVE the sound of a good bass and nothing gets me moving quite like a well played fill or walking bass line. When the guitars drop out and it is just the drummer, singer and bassist... Oh Yeah! Megadeth's Family Tree and Accept's Teutonic Terror is a good example of this.

If I personally was going to label any one band "Groove Metal" then it would be Suicidal Tendencies or Aerosmith. Ozzy's No More Tears album had some amazing bass lines and a phenomenal bass sound. The Motorhead Albums from the early 90's like Bastards had this same bass groove rolling with it.

As far as the groove in Pantera, there is no doubt that the 3 musicians in the band worked well together and created some great music that had a huge groove feel to it. The problem is that the 4th member was and continues to be a complete jackass. His vocals sucked, his delivery sucked, his lyrics were beyond stupid, and his ego was outta control. He thought that he was Ozzy pt. 2. I believe that they call it delusional. Other than Cowboys and a few tracks off of Driven, I can't stand Pantera. Which is a shame as they were a good metal band, with a bad frontman who ruined the listening enjoyment.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Did anyone actually listen to the tracks and have an opinion on them?

I usually don't enjoy many things labeled "groove metal" but it can be done well, as it was in this case.
Back to top Go down

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Fairly heavy. I don't hear anything resembling "groove", it just sounds like modern metal to me.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I like groove metal a whole lot more than dungeons & dragons power metal crap.

I enjoy both!

As for the samples, not bad but I will reserve a full opinion when they "find a shredding guitar player".
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:09 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

As for the samples, not bad but I will reserve a full opinion when they "find a shredding guitar player".

Why is that? I've never understood that mentality. A great song doesn't need a lightning fast guitar solo, or any at all for that matter. I love a well executed guitar solo, but I won't automatically dislike a song without one.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Did anyone actually listen to the tracks and have an opinion on them?

I usually don't enjoy many things labeled "groove metal" but it can be done well, as it was in this case.

I did, but it was not spectacular IMO.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Wurthless wrote:

Why is that? I've never understood that mentality. A great song doesn't need a lightning fast guitar solo, or any at all for that matter. I love a well executed guitar solo, but I won't automatically dislike a song without one.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Wurthless wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Did I say I disliked it? No, but great guitar solos are one of the things that drew me to metal and have kept me there for over 20 years. Not everything has to have one (I love the first two Fear Factory albums and there are no solos to be found) but good ones are a way to get my attention. BTW, that sentence in quotations is taken directly from their site so they must feel as I do.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:20 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Did I say I disliked it? No, but great guitar solos are one of the things that drew me to metal and have kept me there for over 20 years. Not everything has to have one (I love the first two Fear Factory albums and there are no solos to be found) but good ones are a way to get my attention. BTW, that sentence in quotations is taken directly from their site so they must feel as I do.

Precious Death did not do a whole lot of Solo's but they had a ton of licks and bends that added to the whole song. I can't remember a single solo on Digi-Mortal either. Still an awesome album.
Back to top Go down

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Now, THIS is a groove. I don't know what you guys aren't smoking. Razz

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:22 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Wasn't trying to upset you, just making an observation of an opinion often shared on this forum. And thanks for explaining your opinion further, DB.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Wurthless wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Um, the "shredding guitar player" quote DB referenced is from the band's own writeup on that site.

Quote :
Right now we are in the beginning stages. The songs are written and demo'd up and it is now time to find a shredding guitar player.

BTW, I think this sounds like crap so you'll love it Wurthless. Razz

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:35 pm

S.D. wrote:
Now, THIS is a groove. I don't know what you guys aren't smoking. Razz

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:35 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Um, the "shredding guitar player" quote DB referenced is from the band's own writeup on that site.

Quote :
Right now we are in the beginning stages. The songs are written and demo'd up and it is now time to find a shredding guitar player.

BTW, I think this sounds like crap so you'll love it Wurthless. Razz

As I said earlier, I was merely making an observation about what DB stated. It wasn't necessarily directed at anyone in particular.

And actually, I didn't enjoy the samples much. I'm actually on the same page as you here, Toho. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Great Groove Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Groove Metal   Great Groove Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great Groove Metal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next