Gamma Ray Discography

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker

Number of posts : 5133

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:44 pm

I've heard they phoned this one in so much I passed on it but now i'm intrigued.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 25762

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:32 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
I've heard they phoned this one in so much I passed on it but now i'm intrigued.

I think you'd like it. Sure, with these guys you know what you're going to get but what they do,they do it well. This album is preety good. The songs are all solid (and for whatever reason, I almost never catch the "rip offs" unless someone points them out), but I especially like Empress,Leaving Hell and Oppotunity.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Lord of all PBR's
Lord of all PBR's

Number of posts : 32340

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 am

I'm a few albums behind on my Gamma Rays. Majestic was the last one I bought, never got round to this one.

...so I guess that means I'm done with this thread. Buh-bye. don\'t know

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
...and for even MORE Metal & Movie fun, check out my lame ass Tumblr blog! http://keefer1970.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
Spiner202
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm also quite curious to hear Land of the Free II now. I had heard that they really didn't care at all who they ripped off on that album (which was supposedly everybody). I guess I'll have to track it down soon. The length is a bit of a turn off though.

To The Metal! - earMUSIC, 2010

1. Empathy - 05:04
2. All You Need to Know - 04:00
3. Time to Live - 04:48
4. To the Metal - 05:29
5. Rise - 05:05
6. Mother Angel - 05:20
7. Shine Forever - 03:53
8. Deadlands - 04:23
9. Chasing Shadows - 04:23
10. No Need to Cry - 05:56

If you are still an avid collector of Gamma Ray albums in 2010, you probably know what to expect by this point. The only real difference on To The Metal! is that Gamma Ray is missing the great anthems of the past. Ever since Land of the Free, every single album has had at the very least 3 tracks that are complete Gamma Ray classics, and I really can't say that about this album.

With that said, there are some enjoyable songs here. The 1 classic that should be played currently (rather than "Empathy") is "Time To Live". With a chorus as catchy as "Send Me A Sign" (and even in a similar vein too), this is a true Gamma Ray staple. The title track, "To The Metal", is a stomping heavy metal adventure that has a lot more traditional heavy metal influence than anything else the band has ever done. In fact, the three tracks after these ones are also really strong.

While it lasts, "To The Metal" is a good Gamma Ray effort. It is certainly more consistent than any of their albums since Somewhere Out In Space, it's just not as consistently awesome. Much like the aforementioned Somewhere Out In Space, this is the first GR I can think of that doesn't blatantly rip-off another song. There is one track on here that has a melody that sounds like it was written by Children of Bodom, but it doesn't quite draw comparisons to any specific songs of theirs, just the overall sound.

Even though Gamma Ray wasn't touring in support of this album at the time, it was this touring cycle that I finally had the chance to see the band. Playing in an early slot at Wacken Open Air 2012 (1:00 PM-1:45 PM0 was a bit of a disappointment for me. They were one of the 5 bands I was most excited for, and I'm pretty sure in the past they've had considerably longer timeslots. All I can say about this performance is that it left me wanting more! Gamma Ray is an absolute spectacle live. Even without the mighty Dan Zimmerman on drums and with some strange set choices ("Heaven Can Wait" and "Ride the Sky" in particular) this was a great performance. As I'm sure you've seen in this thread, I'm a major fan of Henjo Richter and he was shredding with full force! Kai sounded great on vocals (and his soloing definitely impressed me) and Dirk was there having more fun than anyone else at the festival. I really can't express how much fun it was to see the band in a festival atmosphere and I await their Hellish Rock Pt. II tour with Helloween. Hopefully it returns to North America and I can see quite a historic event!

This is the most recent Gamma Ray full-length to be released, but I believe there should be one coming out in 2013. Where does this leave one of the godfathers of power metal? Personally, I think they'll remain consistently interesting, with their material being as good as or better than "To the Metal!". We might be given a few more true anthems, but I get the impression that their live sets will start ignoring the previous 2 or so albums from this point on in order to make room for the classics and new tracks.

As for Kai Hansen, he has proven to me that he is the most important figure in power metal. Iron Maiden was certainly important, but it was the second and third melody driven albums with Helloween that truly started the current incarnation of power metal. With the insanely poppy "Future World" and "I Want Out" he created what ultimately became one of the most satisfying genres of metal!

Thanks for reading and participating everyone!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss

Number of posts : 19944

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:23 am

I enjoyed reading this thread and it will inspire me in the future to pick up a Gamma Ray disc or two
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 25762

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Still haven't picked up To The Metal! but it's definitely on the want list. Sooner or later it will be mine.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag

Number of posts : 9780

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:10 pm

Like Manny, I was familar with the band only in name and not by the tunes. I am sure if I come across something by them, I grab it. Thanks for the effort, great job with the thread.

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Since i'd skipped the last outing I picked up To the Metal when it came out not really expecting much. I was surprised and found it to be very enjoyable.

Nice work on the thread, caused me to revisit a couple albums and maybe pick up more.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 3750

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:00 pm

I like To the Metal, most of the songs are quaranteed Gamma Ray quality, but the vocals sound a bit off at times. And the constant background keyboards don't sit well with me - it all seems a bit busy.

Sounds like they spent too much time polishing the keyboard/computer background harmonies, and not enough was left to record Kai's vocal parts properly.

Anyway, like I said, the songs are good. A couple of them are real good. Time to Live has to be among my favourites. And also the other Henjo song Chasing Shadows. I also like the song with Michael Kiske.

The last song No Need to Cry is something a little different. I didn't think much of it originally, but they played it live and it was a nice change of pace.

It's a pretty consistent release. I wish it was a little longer though. I got used to getting an hours worth of new Gamma Ray material with each new album.

I haven't heard the bonus tracks.
Back to top Go down
sidmaximus
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Kai Hansen, the god of power metal. Land of the Free, Powerplant and No World Order are definitely my favorite record of this band. No World Order has a very powerful antithetical
lyrics. Heaven or Hell is my all-time favorite, followed by All of the Damned and God of Deliverance. Formidable band indeed!

Master of the damned, I'll be the savior of you all!
I'm your revelation, I'm a walking miracle!

HEAVEN OR HELL!

Back to top Go down
sidmaximus
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:45 am

Is there any band that's similar to Gamma Ray?

I've been listening to Gamma Ray for years and the magic doesn't work on me anymore. Maybe I need a break and listen to the other bands that is similar to GR style.

Any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 3750

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:05 am

I guess Iron Savior and Primal Fear. But neither of those can touch Gamma Ray, in my opinion.

My advice is to just take a break from power metal and come back after a month.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Helloween?
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1061

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:15 am

More like Helloween, with that characteristic positive thing going through the music, a fellow countrymen Heaven's Gate:

Back to top Go down
sidmaximus
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:24 am

Lari wrote:
I guess Iron Savior and Primal Fear. But neither of those can touch Gamma Ray, in my opinion.

My advice is to just take a break from power metal and come back after a month.

Hah! My buddy also told me that. I've been listening to Power Metal every single day. I guess I really need a break.
Back to top Go down
sidmaximus
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 am

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
More like Helloween, with that characteristic positive thing going through the music, a fellow countrymen Heaven's Gate:

Wow that voice, thanks for that! headbanger

That's what I'm exactly looking for. Great band indeed.
Back to top Go down
RAIDwarden
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:41 am

Huge Helloween/Gamma Ray fan here. I'd say the best album is No World Order, but I feel like that would be the cliche choice. Regardless, I still think that is the best of the best. New World Order is just way too good of a song. I got one of my ex-girlfriends into metal by playing Gamma Ray over and over again in my car when we drove around places. She fell in love with New World Order and Real World by them. A year passes since we have dated and we hung out for the first time as just friends, she's still obsessed! Gamma Ray is the first metal band I've ever gotten a girlfriend to like to the point she listens to it on her own.
Back to top Go down
RAIDwarden
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:44 am

sidmaximus wrote:
Is there any band that's similar to Gamma Ray?

I've been listening to Gamma Ray for years and the magic doesn't work on me anymore. Maybe I need a break and listen to the other bands that is similar to GR style.

Any recommendations?

Well Gamma Ray is practically the same (same sounding at least) band as Helloween (not anymore ever since Andi Deris took over Helloween's vocals) but that's just because of it's the same vocalist playing the same exact genre of music that he used to play when he was in Helloween. If you love Gamma Ray, look up older Helloween. There's no specific songs you should look up, they're all fantastic. Keeper of the Seven Keys is a really good one if you're into 14 minute epic songs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray Discography   

Back to top Go down

Gamma Ray Discography
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3