Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

first pantera album bought

Go down 
+25
manny
TheGreatDuck
jettafiend
QuothTheRaven
krokus
Shawn Of Fire
CRIMSONMASK
Lurideath
Eyesore
HeavyMetal
BearOnUnicycle
Leatherface
nevermore
Temple of Blood
adrian
Troublezone
James B.
Witchfinder
Required Fields
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
Wurthless
tohostudios
brokentulsa
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

first pantera album bought Empty
PostSubject: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:05 pm

I am the night on metal magic records was the first pantera I ever bought. I then bought the other 3 metal magic label albums. I have never owned a copy of cowboys from hell. I may buy cowboys from hell on vinyl this weekend.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:09 pm

I have never owned any Pantera albums because I just don't like the vocals. I've heard that the early releases were quite different from the style we normally associate with the band.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 7:58 pm

The only worthwhile album from Pantera's early years is Power Metal, imo. Very Judas Priest sounding stuff, back when Phil Anselmo actually sang.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Wurthless wrote:
The only worthwhile album from Pantera's early years is Power Metal, imo. Very Judas Priest sounding stuff, back when Phil Anselmo actually sang.

That's the one I've been trying to round up at a reasonable price. Cheapest I've found is $11 plus another 2.99 shipping. That's too pricey for an album I've never heard from a band from which I don't like what I've heard.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:11 pm

If you like Painkiller-era Judas Priest or King Diamond, you'd like the album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 pm

I bought Cowboys From Hell when it first came out and liked it well enough (aside from a few clunker tracks), also picked up Vulgar but never really warmed up to that album. Within a couple years I was tired of them, sold the CDs and probably haven't heard a Pantera song since 1995 or so.

Can't say I've missed them either.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:18 pm

I liked Cowboys, thought Vulgar Display was lukewarm aside from a few tracks, and afterwards, meh.

Downloaded their Metal Magic albums from a blogspot years ago out of curiosity and I do like the Power Metal and Projects in the Jungle discs quite a bit. I've probably listened to Power Metal more in the last couple of years than any of their other stuff. Vinnie should re-issue those damn things already.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:25 pm

tohostudios wrote:
wurthless wrote:

That's the one I've been trying to round up at a reasonable price. Cheapest I've found is $11 plus another 2.99 shipping. That's too pricey for an album I've never heard from a band from which I don't like what I've heard.

Some Power Metal samples for Toho:
"Power Metal"

"Proud To Be Loud"

Useless trivia: this song was written by Keel guitarist Marc Ferrari. Years later Keel recorded their own version on their VI: Back In Action album.

"Death Trap"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks FF.

I definitely like those songs better than the Pantera songs I've heard but I still find the vocals annoying. It does remind me of Painkiller Priest which I'm not all that fond of.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Cowboys From Hell first then Vulgar
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:35 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Thanks FF.

I definitely like those songs better than the Pantera songs I've heard but I still find the vocals annoying. It does remind me of Painkiller Priest which I'm not all that fond of.

It's a miracle, I finally found someone else that doesn't really like Painkiller. I was feeling lonely in my apathy. Wink
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Thanks FF.

You can always try the prior album, Projects in the Jungle, which had previous vocalist Terry Glaze on the mic. He was much more of an '80s glam style singer. (He also turned up in the one-album-and-gone band Lord Tracy, who released Deaf Gods of Babylon around '89 or so).

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:38 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Thanks FF.

You can always try the prior album, Projects in the Jungle, which had previous vocalist Terry Glaze on the mic. He was much more of an '80s glam style singer. (He also turned up in the one-album-and-gone band Lord Tracy, who released Deaf Gods of Babylon around '89 or so).

Now THAT interests me. Probably to the surprise of no one, I have that Lord Tracy album.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Quote :
Now THAT interests me. Probably to the surprise of no one, I have that Lord Tracy album.

Then I've done my public service for today. (Tips hat) :cheese:

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:48 pm

S.D. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Thanks FF.

It's a miracle, I finally found someone else that doesn't really like Painkiller. I was feeling lonely in my apathy. Wink

That's OK, you're still lonley in your apathy for a lot of other music.
lol!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:49 pm

For the uninitiated, here's what the original singer from Pantera went on to do:

Right up my sleazy alley!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:55 pm

S.D. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Thanks FF.

Yep, "apathetic" sums up my opinion of Painkiller perfectly. Not horrible, but just kinda "there" for me.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28442

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:59 pm

An interesting note is that "Proud to Be Loud" can be heard in the movie Donnie Darko. However, the track is credited to "The Dead Green Mummies" instead of Pantera.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 pm

I got Cowboys when it came out back in 1990 (on cassette). I don't think anyone in Ohio had heard of Pantera before that, or if they did, they didn't tell me about them. I now own everything they did including all the non-Phil albums which I quite like. I wish those would get a proper CD issue as opposed to all the crappy boots that everyone has.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 9:58 pm

When I swung into town (Arlington, Tx) in 1985. I bought "Projects In The Jungle" at Savvy's in Ft. Worth during a Pantera gig there. They were playng with Sweet Savage and Gypsy Blue. The funny thing is that I was there to see Sweet Savage, whom I knew from The Strip n El Lay. I was blown away by Dime's playin. The last one I bought was "Cowboys From Hell"......I listened to "Vulgar" at band practice but it didn't click. After that I was done.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 pm

The first time I heard them was when a friend from school let me borrow the original Pantera home video in '91. After that, I can't remember if I got CFH or Vulgar Display first...

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 10:22 pm

I don't own a single Pantera album. I've many times tried checking out various songs from their albums but the only one that really interested me was Power Metal. Would love to get a copy, but I've only ever found an obviously fake one at a local record store.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Got CFH and loved it and picked up Vulgar probably the first week it came out.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25871

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:12 am

Cowboys From Hell was my first Pantera purchase.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18937

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:43 am

I only have Cowboys From Hell.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: first pantera album bought   first pantera album bought Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

first pantera album bought
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next