Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ROLLING STONES

Go down 
+24
ZombieHavoc
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
jstate
Addy
metalinmyveins
TheGooch
manny
XYZ
James B.
Fat Freddy
assault_attack
exact33
Tall Tyrion
DallasBlack
tohostudios
EvyMetal
White_Mage
rattpoison
ghost
spiritoradio
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
KissinMaiden
Shiney
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 8:57 am

I don't think it fair to say one is a better writing pair than he other...the style are too different....

BUT I'll say while the BEATLE lyrics tended to be ...(IMO) alot of times nonsensical and surreal or just plain trippy...

STONES kept things earthy and viable...and sleazy!! Therefore in my eyes they are the better pair...It depends on how your tastes run....

"A Day In The Life".....or "Dead Flowers"

Send me DEAD FLOWERS anyday.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:08 am

The main thing for me in almost any music is melody. The Beatles were the more melodic of the two so I must go with them. However, I prefer The Moody Blues over any of the rock inovators of the 60s.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:12 am

I know the Stones' "radio stuff" (of which there is a lot, obviously) but don't know much about their catalog beyond that. I have always meant to pick up some kind of anthology or decent best-of collection from them but have never gotten around to it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:22 am

Quote :
I have always meant to pick up some kind of anthology or decent best-of collection from them but have never gotten around to it.

I have several comps and my favorite is Forty Licks.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 12:06 pm

HOT ROCKS is killer....both volumes.

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 6:20 pm

While I really like the Stones from around 67 til about 76 I find that 96%
of everything they have put out since to be total garbage.
And they are just plain horrible
live and have been since the 80's IMO. So while they used to be great at one point I can't stand the mass majority of their stuff. Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I know the Stones' "radio stuff" (of which there is a lot, obviously) but don't know much about their catalog beyond that. I have always meant to pick up some kind of anthology or decent best-of collection from them but have never gotten around to it.

I think that is the strength of the Stones. Everyone hears the radio hits and such but the other tracks are generally very good. The last three songs on Sticky Fingers - sister morphine, dead flowers and moonlight mile - are 3 of the best back to back to back songs I think I have ever heard...

Alex

rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 8:05 pm

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I think that is the strength of the Stones. Everyone hears the radio hits and such but the other tracks are generally very good. The last three songs on Sticky Fingers - sister morphine, dead flowers and moonlight mile - are 3 of the best back to back to back songs I think I have ever heard...

Alex

Definately those are fantastic songs you ain't going to hear on radio. The Rolling Stones are an album experience.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 2:05 am

the studio albums from "Let it Bleed" (1969) to "It's Only Rock n Roll" (1974) are a great run by any band ever. After that "Some Girls" was the only decent lp thy've put out since. They may have a good song here and there (opininion) over the years, but overall.... alot od riding on the merits of ones past. I saw them in a club in Frisco during 40 licks tour and it was wonderful. Alot of older stiff and no over the top stage show. The last time before that seeing them was in 89' w G-N-R and Living Colour in L.A. That was okay and before that it was on 81 in Oakland and that was sweet. I don't get how folks nowadays pay the bucks they do to sit in the top of a stadium and watch some old fogies go thru the motions. Rock n Roll is part of one's life and I see nolife in it anymore.

Laterz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 11:30 pm

Exile on Main St. is one of those timeless classics that must be played start to finish, no exceptions. It reminds me of the Beatles' White Album and Zeppelin's Physical Grafitti, as they're all long and very dynamic. I saw a Stones tribute band back in February, and they played only one song off of it! Too bad. I'd love to see the Stones play it in its entirety.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Legands. Keith Richards wrote some great riffs, and Mick had a great stage presence. Still sound good live today.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 11:06 pm

I love the Rokking Stones, my favorite era 1965-1975, but I still love
the later stuff like the last studio album" Bigger Bang " is great,
filled with attitude that most young bands would give their left nut
for, plus I am glad they keep recording new material and that even in
their mid 60's they put on a full production, albums such as " Exile on
Main Street" and " Let it Bleed" are so filled with debauchary and rock
n roll sleave you will need to go shower or maybe even check into a 12
step program.
Btw I disagree with the assement of Jagger's solo career, other
than the first one (she's the boss which is horrid) I think they are
all good and all lyrically very personal, for example the lyrics to the
song "Primitive Cool" and some lyrics even talking about aging, life in
general, rock music made by an adult for adults, good stuff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 10:13 am

White_Mage wrote:
F*ING LEGENDARY BAND

too bad people only think of them as old-guys who need to pack it in

I love the Stones, but they kinda do.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 11:43 am

Schbopo wrote:
White_Mage wrote:
F*ING LEGENDARY BAND

too bad people only think of them as old-guys who need to pack it in

I love the Stones, but they kinda do.

Nah you keep going as long as you think you can, music is eternal not
about your age, you don't hear country, jazz, or classical music fans asking
their artist to retire, only rock music, why that is I will never know.

Last edited by manny on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 2:13 pm

i like the few classic songs i have heard and i would like to see them live but i cant say i am a die hard fan or anything
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 4:18 pm

I've never thought about where the Stones would end up on any type of list regarding whatever. They are a great Rock 'N Roll band who have stood the test of time. How many other groups have grinded it out as long as they have. You could say someone like The Who, but for years they were inactive.

My favorite songs from the Stones are the more dark songs like "Paint It Black", or "Gimmie Shelter".
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 11:33 pm

to dredge up this old thread:

now that my ZZ top collection is almost complete it is now time to turn my attention to the stones. I have all their stuff on tape (and mp3) but now it is time to bite the bullet and get all 25 studio albums on cd...

I have all of keefs stuff on cd so now it is time to do the rest...

Alex

Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:05 pm

Under My Thumb I have to say is my #1 Stones tune tied with Paint It Black
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:16 pm

Shiney wrote:
HOT ROCKS is killer....both volumes.

Agreed. I still have the first volume on vinyl, that was my early introduction to the Stones. My favorite album is Sticky Fingers...but there are quite a few that are running a close second.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 10:20 pm

Start Me Up!!!!

listening to music
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 8:39 am

Love the Stones, if you have no Stones in your collection, start with 'Begger's Banquet', 'Exile on Main Street', 'Aftermath' and their last studio album 'A Bigger Bang' is a great album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 10:07 am

My boyfriend also adores them!!! Recently downloaded several albums for him (by http://rapid4me.com/ ), you cannot even imagine how happy he was!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 10:51 am

I watched the Rolling Stones DVD 'Shine a Light' filmed in 2006 and released last year, even at 64 (Jagger and Richards) 68 (Watts) and Ron Wood at 60, this guys still deliver the goods live on stage.

Excellent concert and would recommend this concert to anyone who has never had the privilege to witness the Stones live.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 11:02 pm

I've been really getting into the much maligned MTV/Disco era of the Stones, particuarly Undercover which is quite overlooked.

"Undercover Of The Night" is a great track and would not be out of place on a Pop Group record!" Too Much Blood" has to be their last great experiment, one the funkiest things they've done. I picked up the single for it not long ago and i love the various extended Dance and Dub remixes of it.

Great clip as well, those horn charts are addictive..........

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 11:20 pm

'Undercover' is the first Stones I bought brand new and is still a favorite of mine.

The albums seems to be a protest of politics and the then new celebrity culture that was emerging in the 80's.

Angry political songs (Undecover of the Night and It Must Be Hell) violence on tv (Too Much Blood) relationships (Pretty Beat up) and of course typical Stones subjects, such as Jagger's ode to the first girl who gave him a BJ (All the Way Down) and even features Jagger taking a piss at his own celebrity and relationships in the song 'Too Tough'

I married yesterday
To a teenage bride
You said it's only physical
But I love her deep inside
I still see you in my dreams
With a kitchen knife
With it poised above your head
Now who you gonna slice?

A very underlooked album, of course what other band but the Stones can we say an album that managed to go platinum.

Last edited by manny on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ROLLING STONES   ROLLING STONES - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ROLLING STONES
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next