Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge

Go down 
+7
brokentulsa
speed101
manny
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
mc666
mikeinfla
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Empty
PostSubject: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Just curious, saw someone mention in the Cinderella thread that they never saw an add for "Still Climbing" in those mags. That had me wondering if these mags are even still around. Anyone know?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 6:39 pm

metal edge isn't. at least not in physical form.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Circus closed up shop five or six years ago, as did Metal Edge. Not sure about Hit Parader, cuz I never bought that rag anyway but if it still exists I haven't seen it in ages.

*EDIT* a quick Google search led me to Hit Parader's web site, which hasn't been updated since 2008 so I would guess that it's out of business as well.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 8:02 pm

mc666 wrote:
metal edge isn't.

And niether is it's better, Metal Maniacs.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2012 9:34 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
mc666 wrote:
metal edge isn't.

And niether is it's better, Metal Maniacs.
of course. when sterling/mcfadden sold it, eventually it's sister mag was removed. the website for the latter is still available.

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 1:26 am

I don't think I've bought any form of heavy metal magazine since around 1990.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 7:23 am

Hit Parader along with all those publications you mentioned are long gone, Hit Parader managed to hang on til 2008 or 2009 which is amazing really.
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 8:38 am

They were cool back in the 80s but long gone from that if they did exist still.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 5:30 pm

It amazes me how much people now pay for these old metal mags.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 5:38 pm

speed101 wrote:
They were cool back in the 80s but long gone from that if they did exist still.

Metal Edge was still pretty good in the 90s, though Metal Maniacs was better. However, ME did go way downhill towards the end. Hit Parader had it's moments but I've never been impressed with them and their insistence that Slipknot was the greatest band since Slayer.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 8:11 pm

I used to subscribe to Metal Maniacs a number of years ago. I hope it goes back in publication someday.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Required Fields wrote:
I used to subscribe to Metal Maniacs a number of years ago. I hope it goes back in publication someday.
as did i, but it's unlikely. what would be the point? everything is now available online, & more up to date for that matter.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:04 pm

brokentulsa wrote:

Yeah, no kiddin'. Makes me wish I hadn't recycled my collection of old mags when I moved out of my parents' house years ago. I had tons 'n' tons of Circus, Metal Maniacs, Metal Edge, Metal Hammer UK, Metal Forces, Thrash-n-Burn, RIP, and Lord knows how many others... but I would've had nowhere to store them in the apartment I was moving into so I just let'em go.

Nowadays I wish I could reach back in time and slap myself for that decision.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

Yeah, no kiddin'. Makes me wish I hadn't recycled my collection of old mags when I moved out of my parents' house years ago. I had tons 'n' tons of Circus, Metal Maniacs, Metal Edge, Metal Hammer UK, Metal Forces, Thrash-n-Burn, RIP, and Lord knows how many others... but I would've had nowhere to store them in the apartment I was moving into so I just let'em go.

Nowadays I wish I could reach back in time and slap myself for that decision.
i still have literally thousands of them. mostly Metal Hammer, Kerrang, HM, Metal Maniacs, Circus, Metal Edge, Hit Parader, Metal Forces, RIP, & tons of underground zines like Slayer & Sentential Steel.

i still buy the old stuff on ebay all the time. the only new mags i subscribe to is Revolver & Decibal.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:26 pm

I had lots of them and old wrestling magazines, but they're all gone despite me not knowing what happened to a large portion of them. I remember getting rid of some of them but not most of them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:36 pm

mc666 wrote:
i still have literally thousands of them. mostly Metal Hammer, Kerrang, HM, Metal Maniacs, Circus, Metal Edge, Hit Parader, Metal Forces, RIP, & tons of underground zines like Slayer & Sentential Steel.

Nice. I should note that once I moved to my new place, I just kept on buying mags as they came out so by now I have a pretty decent sized collection again (1997-present) but if I had hung onto my oldies I'd have three times as many. Sigh.

Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 12:31 am

I'll give Metal Edge this, they kept supporting bands like warrant and slaughter even through the mid-90s when those bands were "unhip". Unfortunately, then Paul Gargano took over and we started getting articles on bands like creed and everclear (who werent even hard rock). Apparently they got better later, but for a long time the only reason to read ME was Chris Jericho's column.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 5:08 am

Hadley wrote:
I'll give Metal Edge this, they kept supporting bands like warrant and slaughter even through the mid-90s when those bands were "unhip". Unfortunately, then Paul Gargano took over and we started getting articles on bands like creed and everclear (who werent even hard rock). Apparently they got better later, but for a long time the only reason to read ME was Chris Jericho's column.

Which was fantastic, especially the one article that he wrote on Christian Metal and mentioned bands like Deliverance, Sacred Warrior, Barren Cross and the usual name drop to Stryper.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:12 am

Magazine threads are always hard for me since after college I left my collection in a big box at my parent's basement. One bad flood destroyed them all. I may have actually wept at the news.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:21 am

jstate wrote:
Magazine threads are always hard for me since after college I left my collection in a big box at my parent's basement. One bad flood destroyed them all. I may have actually wept at the news.

I had a similar experience with my old VHS video collection, I lost a ton of movies & music videos that I had spent years collecting. It sucked.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:26 am

I had tons of Hit Parader, Circus, RIP, Metal Edge, Faces, Rock Scene, Creem and a few scattered Rolling Stone issues, but years of moving place to place, one day I just dumped them all, a decision I do not totally regret or I would have up in one of those episodes of that Hordes show.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:55 am

Quote :
I had a similar experience with my old VHS video collection, I lost a ton of movies & music videos that I had spent years collecting. It sucked.

To this day I only store things like that well above ground level. And I live in the desert!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:02 am

jstate wrote:
Quote :

To this day I only store things like that well above ground level. And I live in the desert!

That flood was just one of those totally random, freak things. It happened shortly after I moved out of my parents' house in '97, I'd lived there for the first 26 years of my life, and my parents had been there for a couple of years before I was born, too...so we're talking 30+ years and that house had never -- ever -- gotten water in the basement. My brother and I practically lived down there, the basement was where kept all of our sh*t - my comic book collection, our stereo and music collections, TV/video equipment and movies, etc., etc.

So anyway, I moved out, and left some of my stuff behind to pick up at a later date, thinking everything would be safe till I had time to come back for it... of course, BAM! We had a massive tropical storm that flooded the basement within weeks of my move. It wasn't a ton of water, but it was enough to ruin the VHS tapes. Everything else survived cuz it was all up on desks and tables, but the VHS' were in boxes on the floor cuz I had intended to come back and pick them up fairly soon. So much for that. I did go thru'em hoping some were salvageable but the cardboard boxes had just absorbed all the water off the floor like big sponges, and everything in 'em was a total loss.

...of course, VHS tapes are obsolete now anyway but WOW, at the time I was UBER pissed. Haha. Not only were there lots of store-bought tapes but I also had tons 'n' tons of movies that I'd recorded off of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. over the previous ten years or so. I used to cram three movies onto each tape so I probably had somewhere around 1000 movies. Gone!! I can laugh about it now but it wasn't too funny then.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:32 pm

jettafiend wrote:
Hadley wrote:

Which was fantastic, especially the one article that he wrote on Christian Metal and mentioned bands like Deliverance, Sacred Warrior, Barren Cross and the usual name drop to Stryper.

I loved Jericho's article but I've been a Jerichoholic since the Monday Night Wars so his like of the same bands as me was just icing on the cake. We both had the same favorite albums of 1998 and 1999 (Nightfall In Middle Earth and Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory).
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:35 am

Quote :
That flood was just one of those totally random, freak things.

Sounds exactly like my story. After college my place was too small to hold everything so down everything went to my parent's basement. Funny thing was I thought of hauling it all to their attic but then figured that would be too much work. It wasn't about five months away from me getting a bigger place when a tropical storm flooded the basement. Three large boxes of every music magazine I owned in the 80's and early 90's destroyed. Not to mention the journals I used to keep. Actually probably a good thing those ended up gone.

Let this be a lesson to you younger HOM'ers - safely store your treasures from youth. Someday you'd kill to still have them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge   Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hit Parader/Circus/Metal Edge
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next