Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!

Go down 
+8
DallasBlack
mc666
adrian
tohostudios
exact33
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
martinsane
12 posters
AuthorMessage
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Empty
PostSubject: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Looking for some opinions on cell phones and service providers.

I have been looking quite hard at the Virgin site, since their $35 per month no contract plan seems very enticing compared to some of the long term contract stuff where every option is an additional charge.

On the Virgin site they have a handful of phones that you can buy and I am on the fence as to wether the Blackberry or Android phone is "better". I don't need a million minutes since I don't phone to many folks to often, but the texting, e-mailing and internet aspects are appealing, along with the idea of all these wonderful "app's"...

Here is the V-mobile site link: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/

So again, just looking for some opinions on service providers and phones. I like the no contract idea and with Virgin I like the free texting, e-mail, internet, but I would go with an I-Phone if these types of programs were available elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for you opinions.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 1:43 pm

I use T Mobile and have never had an issue. Both my work and personal cell are T Mobile. Personal is an Android and work is a Blackberry. I like both, but Blackberry is perfect for work and Android is better for personal.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37640

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 1:55 pm

I've only ever used Verizon so I don't have any experience with other providers. I've never had any complaints with'em, for whatever that's worth.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks guys.

My wife has Verizon on her phone and has had it for years, the only draw back and the reason I am looking at Virgin, who piggy backs Sprint btw, is that on her current "contract" we pay about $60.00 a month for I think about 700 minutes and thats it. No texts, no internet, no nuthin' but phone...
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 2:17 pm

martinsane wrote:
Thanks guys.

My wife has Verizon on her phone and has had it for years, the only draw back and the reason I am looking at Virgin, who piggy backs Sprint btw, is that on her current "contract" we pay about $60.00 a month for I think about 700 minutes and thats it. No texts, no internet, no nuthin' but phone...

Makes sense - Verizon is by far the most expensive of the US based carriers.The philosophy behind it is that they are the "premium" service so they change a "premium"
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 5:33 pm

I use AT&T. I have been with them since they were Cingular and aside from some phone issues i have been satisfied with them.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 5:36 pm

I've had Sprint for about 10 years now, mainly because I get a discount through work. I have their cheapest plan which costs me around $34 a month for 300 minutes plus unlimited weekends.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 5:38 pm

yeah - i get a discount through my work too.

adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 5:47 pm

exact33 wrote:
I use AT&T. I have been with them since they were Cingular and aside from some phone issues i have been satisfied with them.
Same here.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 6:11 pm

exact33 wrote:
yeah - i get a discount through my work too.

Yep - me too
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 6:30 pm

adrian wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Same here.
me too.

martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 1:18 am

Thanks for the comments on you providers guys, but what about the actual phone???
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 9:58 am

martinsane wrote:
Thanks for the comments on you providers guys, but what about the actual phone???

If it's for personal use, go with the android - better functionality for personal use with all the apps. Blackberry is perfect for work.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 10:45 am

thejokeriv wrote:
martinsane wrote:

If it's for personal use, go with the android - better functionality for personal use with all the apps. Blackberry is perfect for work.

i use a non-smart phone - pantech pursuit and it does the job well.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 12:24 pm

exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
martinsane wrote:

i use a non-smart phone - pantech pursuit and it does the job well.

Yeah, no smart phone here either. Just a Sanyo Sprint phone that was free with my 2 year committment 4 years ago.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Couldn't really help you as I have a pre-paid phone. I use my cell phone at an absolute minimum so it's all I need. If things improve and I can get a decent paying job, I'll go for a good phone & a provider (especially if it has GPS-I get lost so much I refer to myself as a real life "Wrong Way" Peach Fuzz).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 7:51 pm

AT&T...is pretty good..
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 10:28 pm

I just got an Iphone 4 with Verizon and am loving it
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 12:23 am

my wife and I both have T-Mobile prepay. Mine is 15 dollars a month, unlimited text. Thats pretty much all I use. minutes are 10 cents a min and if Im not careful I end up using a lot.

My wife is on a 30 dollar a month plan thru Walmart.com. She has a smart phone, unlimited internet and unlimited text with 100 minutes a month. Not bad for 30 bucks. And she has yet to run out of her 100 minutes.

I have also looked at Virgin and Boost. They both have some good plans and good phones but the service is spotty at best. Once you leave our area theres no service (thats what people at work tell me who have it).

My phone is one of the "slider" phones and very basic but takes decent pics and plays music. I dont have a keyboard but Im now an expert on texing on a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 keypad!

We like T-Mobile because we have service from here all the way to TN without dropping a signal. I only lose service on my phone at Walmart, dont know why. I always have but my wife gets service in there.

Last edited by mikeinfla on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 12:37 am

Quote :
my wife and I both have T-Mobile prepay

cool That is mine as well. What's cool about their prepay, is that once you've been a customer for a while, your minutes don't expire.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 4:24 am

Plus T-Mobile has plenty of plans. They used to have "a dollar a day" with free nights and weekend but they did away with that one. They have plans from "pay by the minute" for 10 cents a min and 10 cents a text, 15 unlimited text and 10 cents a min (my plan), 30 a month for 1500 min or text (i think its OR and not AND) then 50 dollars unlimited everything.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12605

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:07 am

Don't move to Motana and expect to get better than "adequate" cell service. I went thru 4 different carriers and ended up with the most expensive (Verizon) only becuase it was the best of them all as far as oveall service area.

PostSubject: Re: Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!   Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cell phone and provider opinions PLEASE!
Page 1 of 1