Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice on Electric Guitar

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Advice on Electric Guitar Empty
PostSubject: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 2:28 pm

My son has been learning the guitar (and doing fantastic I would add) and is getting ready to purchase his first electric guitar. I have raised him up properly in the ways of metal Advice on Electric Guitar 754598 , and he wants to be able to play rock/metal, but also would probably use it for alot of other stuff like church songs, country etc.

So, we can't spend a lot, but he has a job lined up this summer and we're figuring on starting with something in the $200-$300 range. He's also left handed which narrows things. I see Ibanez makes some brand new models in our price range, and many more. But we're not opposed at all buying something nice, used. In fact, we're thinking we could get more bang for the buck used.

Anyhow, I started looking around on craigslist and ebay and wanted to get your guys feedback on the following list. But also, if you know of a guitar out there that would be a good fit, please let me know as well.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Electric-/33034/i.html?String%2520Configuration=6%2520String&Body%2520Type=Solid&LH_Price=200..300%40c&_pppn=v3&rt=nc&Dexterity=Left%252DHanded&_nkw=electric%20guitar&_catref=1&_dmpt=Guitar&_fln=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1539
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 11:05 pm

You're probably not going to have much luck finding a decent used lefty guitar, the only way that might even happen is to spend a lot of time searching your local pawn shops.

I would say buy a cheap, but new lefty Ibanez or Dean, that should work for whatever you need it to do.

Happy shopping!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 pm

I recommend a drum kit.....they are kewler and ya get more chicks

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 8:55 am

James B. wrote:
I recommend a drum kit.....they are kewler and ya get more chicks

WAY moire expensive too...... I know how much my son's drum set cost!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 am

The pawn shop tip is probably best shot to get what you're looking for, but be careful of used 'lefty" gear cause alot of dudes just flip the neck and that causes havok in many areas to the instument.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 9:51 am

bassman wrote:
You're probably not going to have much luck finding a decent used lefty guitar, the only way that might even happen is to spend a lot of time searching your local pawn shops.

I would say buy a cheap, but new lefty Ibanez or Dean, that should work for whatever you need it to do.

Happy shopping!
Thank you sir. I didn't really think about a pawn shop, but you're right. There are always geetars in every pawn shop I've ever been in.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 9:06 pm

T-Roy wrote:
bassman wrote:

Happy shopping!
Thank you sir. I didn't really think about a pawn shop, but you're right. There are always geetars in every pawn shop I've ever been in.

The only other piece of advice I would have is this.......if you buy a guitar at a pawn shop, have it checked out by a guitar tech at a local music store or by someone who at least does basic upkeep on his own guitars. You want to make sure it doesn't have any issues before you pull the trigger and take it home.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 4:29 am

Just curious, but can't you just flip it around and play and string it the other way? Im a lefty but played right handed. Dont play anymore, just wasn't any good at it. I had a cheapo when I was a teen. My son plays quite a bit and I found him a nice one for Christmas one year. It was a fender "Starcaster", came with an amp and dvd for only 99 bucks. Not bad for a first electric and wasnt expensive for us unless he decided he didnt want to do it. A lot of the problem is people end up buying a $500 guitar and then never use it. I would suggest something cheap at first, like what I did but I am not sure about swapping the strings around to make it left handed. Isn't that what Jimi did? If so he made it work just fine.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 9:37 am

mikeinfla wrote:
Just curious, but can't you just flip it around and play and string it the other way? Im a lefty but played right handed. Dont play anymore, just wasn't any good at it. I had a cheapo when I was a teen. My son plays quite a bit and I found him a nice one for Christmas one year. It was a fender "Starcaster", came with an amp and dvd for only 99 bucks. Not bad for a first electric and wasnt expensive for us unless he decided he didnt want to do it. A lot of the problem is people end up buying a $500 guitar and then never use it. I would suggest something cheap at first, like what I did but I am not sure about swapping the strings around to make it left handed. Isn't that what Jimi did? If so he made it work just fine.
On an acoustic it isn't a big deal. In fact, his acoustic is a right handed guitar, restrung upside down. And you need to buy a new bone at the top of the neck...otherwise it's not clear, vibrates badly. But all that's been done. However, on an electric, you have the pickup cord coming out of the top of the guitar poking the underside of your forearm, not to mention the whammy bar is on top instead of below. Can you "deal" with it? Sure, he's currently playing a right handed electric, restrung. But if we're going to buy one, we're going to buy the correct one, not just "make do."
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 8:40 pm

T-Roy wrote:
mikeinfla wrote:
On an acoustic it isn't a big deal. In fact, his acoustic is a right handed guitar, restrung upside down. And you need to buy a new bone at the top of the neck...otherwise it's not clear, vibrates badly. But all that's been done. However, on an electric, you have the pickup cord coming out of the top of the guitar poking the underside of your forearm, not to mention the whammy bar is on top instead of below. Can you "deal" with it? Sure, he's currently playing a right handed electric, restrung. But if we're going to buy one, we're going to buy the correct one, not just "make do."

Good choice! I agree, if you're going to buy one just buy it lefty and then you don't have to worry about it.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 9:41 am

bassman wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
mikeinfla wrote:

Good choice! I agree, if you're going to buy one just buy it lefty and then you don't have to worry about it.
Thanks bro. When we get ready to pull the trigger on one, I will be looking for you. Probably won't be till June'ish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Electric Guitar   Advice on Electric Guitar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice on Electric Guitar
Page 1 of 1