Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When did you guys add a chick?

Go down 
+5
GrandNational
Sutekh
Metal Misfit
ultmetal
mikeinfla
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

When did you guys add a chick? Empty
PostSubject: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 7:56 pm

To the lineup? LOL!

http://ultimatumband.com/

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:10 am

Ive seen them before and pointed out that it doesn't take much research to see if a band name is already being used. It's not like it's the 80's or early 90's when there was no infinite supply of internet sites to check. They feel it's ok since we play different styles of music. Ridiculous.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Couldn't you stop them from using it? It's not like I could start a band named Iron Maiden or Styx and justify they were jazz bands so it didn't matter if the names were the same. I remember in the early 90's a band named REO Speedealer was forced to drop the REO when Kevin Cronin threatened legal action and they changed the name to Speedealer.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 10:49 am

Quote :
Ultimatum plays rock covers from the 90's thru today. If you are looking for something different and are sick of hearing the same songs over and over, come spend a night with us.

BUT YOU PLAY COVER SONGS lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 1:39 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Couldn't you stop them from using it? It's not like I could start a band named Iron Maiden or Styx and justify they were jazz bands so it didn't matter if the names were the same. I remember in the early 90's a band named REO Speedealer was forced to drop the REO when Kevin Cronin threatened legal action and they changed the name to Speedealer.

Yes, there was some cover band performing under our name as well. They were doing Maiden and Priest covers. We contacted them and informed them that their name was already being used by a band that was published and the name was trademarked. They didn't care either. I suggested they would do better if they chose a name like Kiss, Aerosmith or Black Sabbath. Those names are being used too, but since it doesn't matter...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 8:08 pm

Unbelievable. I guess it's too much to expect some people to say 'sorry, didn't realise we were violating copyright with the name, we'll change it'. They don't seem to care unless there's legal action involved, and you've probably not got the time, the money or the inclination to do that.

With today's resources, there's no excuse to see if a band name is already in use.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Yup. Money is the big issue.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 8:48 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Ive seen them before and pointed out that it doesn't take much research to see if a band name is already being used. It's not like it's the 80's or early 90's when there was no infinite supply of internet sites to check. They feel it's ok since we play different styles of music. Ridiculous.

Scott, Metal Archives lists 12 bands with the name Ultimatum. A few came before you guys and many after, but they are all located outside of the US. So is this a US thing only? I also believe there is a techno and a punk band in the US called Ultimatum. I guess it's just popular.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 8:51 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Good Gawd, that was the most lifeless cover I've ever heard. They probably put audiences to sleep!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12528

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Good Gawd, that was the most lifeless cover I've ever heard. They probably put audiences to sleep!!

Their "ultimatum" goes like this, "if you can listen to the whole song, we'll play you another one"

Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:25 pm

O.K. So the Ultimatum website. Ultimatum was originally formed in 2004 by two dudes in Wisconsin. I was brought into the band 2 years ago. I don't know if they ever checked for trademark info. I never thought or cared to ask. I do know that there are a few Ultimatums in the States. When we were changing over the website, it was my job to get it set up. I searched under domain names and there was nothing listed under ultimatumband.com, so I took it. As far as the other Ultimatum band in the youtube video, I have no idea who the hell they are and could care less. The Wisconsin Ultimatum has imploded and the website will be taken down in the very very near future. Maybe someone should have thought about emailing me through the website and let me know instead bitching about it on this website. I would have happily changed the crappy name to something else. The only way I knew something was going on was an increase in our web hits. Whatever, the dudes in the band sucked, I quit, and the website is going to get killed by me. Enjoy your ultimatum band name.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25640

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Someone's bitter
Back to top Go down
jgage
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Not bitter. Dissapointed. I have been doing this band thing for over 20 years. I used to be the long haired hippy freak playing maiden, anthrax and early ryche. Back than, if someone sucked, you went up to them in the pisser between sets and told them they sucked. If they rocked, you would let them know that instead. Nowadays, people can hide behind forums and websites. My Ultimatum was not a bad band. We had some good vocals and put a hell of a good show on. And yes, we did play covers. I'd rather cover a seether song for 200 people, than play some crap that the drummer wrote in front of four people and a bartender. Here in Wisconsin, if you don't play jessies girl and summer of 69 every freakin night, you don't get gigs. I was proud to be able to be in a band that got club gigs playing chevelle and alter bridge. Either way, if someone would have taken the time to contact me through the website, I would have done everything possible to fix the problem.
Back to top Go down
jgage
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 6:04 pm

By the way, I went into the Ultimatum website and took a listen. The band sounds great and congrats on twenty years. You may however want to update your site though. It shows the last update at 2009 and your pics page is dated 2005. Since most bands don't last more than a couple of years, I would have assumed by your lack of updating that the band is no more. Maybe something to think about before a group of dudes from somewhere else decide on Ultimatum for a new band name.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 6:31 pm

jgage wrote:
By the way, I went into the Ultimatum website and took a listen. The band sounds great and congrats on twenty years. You may however want to update your site though. It shows the last update at 2009 and your pics page is dated 2005. Since most bands don't last more than a couple of years, I would have assumed by your lack of updating that the band is no more. Maybe something to think about before a group of dudes from somewhere else decide on Ultimatum for a new band name.

Thanks. Actually, we just need to take down the old site as most news, photos, and interaction now travels through Facebook.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 12:00 pm

My intention of posting this thread was not a "bitch session" at all. Just posted it out of being curious. As I have stated, many bands were forced to change when threatened with legal action (Vengeance, REO Speedealer, Tradewinds (who changed their name to Styx) and many more that slip my mind. Wasn't complaining about it at all, just curious.

And Ultimatum just released Lex Metalis and are still an active band and it is an excellent cover album.

Scott, that being said I am somewhat embarrassed to say I am a metal fan and didn't know most of the covers on your album. Denim & Leather is an excellent tune. (I knew Maiden, QR, MegaDeth and Metallica but didnt know most of the other songs).
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 6:31 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
My intention of posting this thread was not a "bitch session" at all. Just posted it out of being curious. As I have stated, many bands were forced to change when threatened with legal action (Vengeance, REO Speedealer, Tradewinds (who changed their name to Styx) and many more that slip my mind. Wasn't complaining about it at all, just curious.

And Ultimatum just released Lex Metalis and are still an active band and it is an excellent cover album.

Scott, that being said I am somewhat embarrassed to say I am a metal fan and didn't know most of the covers on your album. Denim & Leather is an excellent tune. (I knew Maiden, QR, MegaDeth and Metallica but didnt know most of the other songs).

Well, that's one of the reasons we did it. It's a way to pay homage to bands who influenced us, as well as introduce people who enjoy our music to some other bands. It worked too. The Moshketeers saw a re-release after our cover, something I have wanted to see happen for a decade.

PostSubject: Re: When did you guys add a chick?   When did you guys add a chick? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When did you guys add a chick?
Page 1 of 1