Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Megaupload shut down

Go down 
+23
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
thejokeriv
Metal Misfit
Citanul
chewie
brokentulsa
GrandNational
Witchfinder
Lari
Andy
MoonChild
James B.
manny
Eyesore
Stender
mlotek
exact33
The_Jayroh
snooloui
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Megaupload shut down Empty
PostSubject: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 4:24 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/gear-up/megaupload-shut-down-on-piracy-charges-20120119

Rapidshare is next...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Just imagine all the "blogspot" owners who must be scrambling to re-up dead MegaUpload links right now.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 5:05 pm

So I take it the SOPA / PIPA bill passed, despite Wikipedia and others going black for the day?

Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 5:06 pm

I read that most the backers of the bill had pulled out surprised
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Maybe not...the link within the link has more details...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html

Looks like the SOPA/ PIPA thing is still only being considered, but this Megaupload prosecution has been in the works for some time. They certainly picked a jolly good time to actually go through with it.

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 5:29 pm

It sounds like most of the politicians that were backing the SOPA/PIPA bills have caved under the enormous onslaught of social media protests. Piracy needs to be fought, but censoring is never an option and shouldn't even be considered in a nation supposedly built on freedom.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 5:48 pm

If this has just happened, then the case has been in the works for a while. Not even with SOPA or PIPA passed will websites just "suddenly" close down.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 6:11 pm

S.D. wrote:
It sounds like most of the politicians that were backing the SOPA/PIPA bills have caved under the enormous onslaught of social media protests. Piracy needs to be fought, but censoring is never an option and shouldn't even be considered in a nation supposedly built on freedom.

I agree but i do think file sharing sites run rampant with illegal material. They claim they dont have the resources to monitor content but to me thats not an excuse. I think if the sites maintained proper controls, they would catch thieves and prevent things like this from happening.

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 6:35 pm

exact33 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I agree but i do think file sharing sites run rampant with illegal material. They claim they dont have the resources to monitor content but to me thats not an excuse. I think if the sites maintained proper controls, they would catch thieves and prevent things like this from happening.

How many employees would that require? Most of these "companies" are just a server farm somewhere. I wouldn't even venture a guess as to how many people it would take to monitor millions of files uploaded worldwide looking for copyright infringement.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 6:51 pm

S.D. wrote:
exact33 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

How many employees would that require? Most of these "companies" are just a server farm somewhere. I wouldn't even venture a guess as to how many people it would take to monitor millions of files uploaded worldwide looking for copyright infringement.

I dont think that absolves them from due diligence. Simply saying 'I cannot do it' doesnt remove the liability for harboring illegal material on one's network. My company has a ton of users but they still go to great lengths to ensure people dont place pirated software/material on their various networks and environments. Whole departments of people exist to prevent the company from liability of unlicensed material.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 7:08 pm

S.D.'s right. Those MegaUpload servers are used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people all over the world. Doesn't matter how diligent they could be about rooting out illegal material (and I gather it probably wasn't very diligent, if at all), but realistically there is simply no way they could've policed everything on their servers 24-7.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
S.D.'s right. Those MegaUpload servers are used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people all over the world. Doesn't matter how diligent they could be about rooting out illegal material (and I gather it probably wasn't very diligent, if at all), but realistically there is simply no way they could've policed everything on their servers 24-7.

then it really should come as no surprise they were taken down for harboring illegal material. If you are in business and dont take any precautions other than to say 'we are too big to fail' then they open themselves up for the consequences.

mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Some hackers took revenge

http://gizmodo.com/5877679/anonymous-kills-department-of-justice-site-in-megaupload-revenge-strike
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 8:42 pm

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

then it really should come as no surprise they were taken down for harboring illegal material. If you are in business and dont take any precautions other than to say 'we are too big to fail' then they open themselves up for the consequences.

Of course, there's also the possibility that they simply didn't give a f*ck.
Very Happy

These sites (MegaUpLoad, RapidShare, Pirate Bay, etc.) usually take a "We didn't do it, our users did it, nobody saw it, you can't prove anything" tack when they get busted. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 9:22 pm

GODDAMMITTT.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 9:31 pm

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

If you stole thousands of dollars from someone, deposited in your bank, should your bank be shut down for receiving stolen property?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 9:35 am

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

If you stole thousands of dollars from someone, deposited in your bank, should your bank be shut down for receiving stolen property?

Not if just one person was doing it. But let's say one bank is holding accounts to a coupla million "questionable" customers that the govt. has been monitoring. At some point, the owner of that bank is gonna have to answer some questions. Claiming ignorace will only get oyou so far, especially if your profiting off of the illegal content.

Swiss banks were brought to task after the war because they were holding German accounts. The "Hey, we didn't know it was Hitler's slush fund, we're just a bank" didn't fly.

It's all about the numbers. If Megaupload were hosting one or 2 illegal sites, noone would care. But were talking thousands, if not millions.

I think King has a point. Companies have to take some sort of responsibilites toward this stuff. True, it's too big and complicated to police it now. Pandora's box has been opened. But just shrugging their shoulders and saying "Well, I didn't know that was happening, I was too busy counting stacks of money" ain't gonna cut it.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 10:45 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Not if just one person was doing it. But let's say one bank is holding accounts to a coupla million "questionable" customers that the govt. has been monitoring. At some point, the owner of that bank is gonna have to answer some questions. Claiming ignorace will only get oyou so far, especially if your profiting off of the illegal content.

Swiss banks were brought to task after the war because they were holding German accounts. The "Hey, we didn't know it was Hitler's slush fund, we're just a bank" didn't fly.

It's all about the numbers. If Megaupload were hosting one or 2 illegal sites, noone would care. But were talking thousands, if not millions.

I think King has a point. Companies have to take some sort of responsibilites toward this stuff. True, it's too big and complicated to police it now. Pandora's box has been opened. But just shrugging their shoulders and saying "Well, I didn't know that was happening, I was too busy counting stacks of money" ain't gonna cut it.

Excellent postings and I agree 100%
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

not shut down but yes, banks cannot just turn the blind eye. Banks do have a duty to question source of funds under the Bank Secrecy Act of 1970, SAR, and other statutes. Sums in excess of $10,000 in a single transaction are subject to report to the Fed for verification to ensure the bank is not harboring stolen funds or is being targeted for money laundering.

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 8:21 pm

I wonder if these companies could pay a license fee kinda/sorta like a club or bar pays to BMI/ASAP to have cover bands play at their establishment ?

The logic of it's toooooooooooooo big to monitor is like saying, "we can't police our border with the resources we have.....so let's just let everyone in."

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 11:02 pm

For once, I love hackers!
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 2:41 am

You cannot stop the internet.

Megalupload has been targeted for a while, it's just coming on the heels of the SOPA outrage.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 9:46 am

Andy wrote:
You cannot stop the internet.

Megalupload has been targeted for a while, it's just coming on the heels of the SOPA outrage.

I agree you cannot stop the internet but that doesnt mean its a license to steal.

Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 11:30 am

I think it's just sick this guy was making millions out of it all, while the people who actually help make the records are struggling. I forget his name, the fat guy in New Zealand?
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 12:46 pm

This guys says everyone who used mega, the government has their IP addresses, every single person even if they used proxy's to hide their IP's, and will charge $150,000 for EACH song, each copyright infringement, and if they don't pay, they will be jailed.

MegaUpload Dangerous Secrets affect YOU, Mike Mozart JeepersMedia ACTA / PIPA / SOPA

See More Evidence of how CNET / CBS caused the Phenomenon of Piracy with the Help of So-Branded Partners such as AOL and the MSN Network
http://onecandleinthedark.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload shut down   Megaupload shut down Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Megaupload shut down
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: