Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

As I Lay Dying

Go down 
+2
AchrisK
Hamer12
6 posters
AuthorMessage

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 4:51 pm

Any fans of this band here? I got their upcoming album in the mail today to review. I'll admit to being disappointed in opening the package and pulling this out. I didn't agree to do this review, which is normally what happens. This just showed up unannounced like they sometimes do.

However, I'm currently on my third spin and I must admit, this is one killer album! It's metalcore, but it's in that style that is really devoid of hardcore, sort of making the metalcore tag a bit nonsensical. Lots of killer riffs and lead work, outstanding drumming, and even the screams have a nice, solid tone that just sounds killer. There's nothing "screamy" about it. There's also clean vocals, but they're not the sing-by-numbers type, planted in the choruses of every song.

I'm pretty happy this CD showed up now. I could have sworn I'd heard them before and they were terrible, but checking out some older songs I hear they pretty much sounded the same, if just a little less refined at times. So anyway, any fans of this band here? They're Christian, apparently. Should I pick up their older albums, too?
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 5:14 pm

I've got their first one, the mix is kind of weak but i'ts a pretty good platter.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 5:28 pm

As a metal fan trying to make my collection more lean (I have about 800 metal CDs now) I decided get rid of the AILD CD I had. I think it was Frail Words Collapse. I saw them live, and that was pretty good. I could get into some of their songs to a degree, but it was only ever, "this is pretty cool". I was never REALLY impressed or moved. So, since I am trying to have a lean collection, "this is pretty cool" doesn't cut it.
Back to top Go down

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 6:06 pm

Ah, I've learned, though, that those "pretty cool" discs can someday turn into "pretty killer" discs. Even "pretty bad" discs sometimes come back to smack some sense into you. I'm not sure what happens to make it all change, but it's happened many times with me. So I generally try and keep things that dig, even if just a bit. You never know what'll happen.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 6:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Eyesore, these guys are on my list of bands to check out and maybe buy a couple of albums. Peace.
Back to top Go down

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 7:06 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, Eyesore, these guys are on my list of bands to check out and maybe buy a couple of albums. Peace.
If you like a band like All That Remains, this should appeal to you.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 8:07 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Ah, I've learned, though, that those "pretty cool" discs can someday turn into "pretty killer" discs. Even "pretty bad" discs sometimes come back to smack some sense into you. I'm not sure what happens to make it all change, but it's happened many times with me. So I generally try and keep things that dig, even if just a bit. You never know what'll happen.

I know this is true, which is why I have so many CDs as it is. I am always a bit "afraid" to get rid of stuff that I like a little for that very reason. I have traded and sold many items I now wish I still had. But it's the time/space constraints that have me taking this stance in regards to my collection right now.

That said, I doubt I will ever really miss the AILD CD I got rid of. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 8:29 pm

AchrisK wrote:
That said, I doubt I will ever really miss the AILD CD I got rid of. Very Happy
Yeah, I think you've said enough about other bands to convince me of this. Haha. Space constraints really sucks. I learned that in the Air Force, living in a tiny dorm room that you share! I had half a room to put a few thousand CDs. It sucked. They literally stayed in boxes for years, and I even sold a lot to make enough room for those I kept. I've also since re-bought a ton. Haha. It really sucks.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 8:38 pm

I had "Frail Words Collapse". I couldn't get into it, so I traded it. I didn't hate it, I just find I have so many CDs that I want to listen to that this was a band that I was forcing myself to listen to just so that I could come up with something positive for a review. It's probably just not my style.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 12:44 am

i have liked every album they have released. the new one sounds more thrashy to me (although not a thrash album, it's still very metalcore). i have never been "anti-metalcore" though. i like it fine.

i have no space constraints & only get rid of albums i have dupes of. but even if i did, i wouldn't get rid of As I Lay Dying. to each their own of course.

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 1:29 am

I've never been anti-metalcore (or anti-anything, really, when it comes to styles), but I guess I am anti-you really shouldn't be screaming because it sounds pretty bad (i.e. Matt Heafy of Trivium).
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 3:15 am

I'll pick this up for sure, since I have the other 3. Not usually my style, but they are a hard working band who seem to go on even with a bunch of line-up changes, kind of like All That Remains.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

As I Lay Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: As I Lay Dying   As I Lay Dying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

As I Lay Dying
Page 1 of 1