Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Living Things

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 3:28 am

I posted about these cats back in 2008. This...

Quote :
Anyone dig this band?

Last year I picked up their Resight Your Rights EP for $2. I bought it to trade on lala. When someone requested it, I gave it a listen to make sure it didn't skip. Unfortunately, I was totally into the album. Haha. I was pissed, too, because the EP appeared to not be so easy to come by—at the time, at least; I've seen it a few times since. I reluctantly mailed it off.

A few months later I scored another copy of the EP, plus their Ahead Of The Lion full-length—both for $2. At that point the only thing I knew about the band was that the singer has a big mouth which has gotten him shot at and stabbed after shows. Hahaha. But regardless of his outspoken turdliness, this band is excellent! I've become a big fan.

Most of you will know part of the song "Bom Bom Bom," as it was in some commercial. I sort of disliked the song at first because I'd heard the chorus so much, but it's since grown on me.

Not sure what bands you'd compare them to—maybe the Rolling Stones meets T. Rex, or something. Great stuff.
And I still think they're brilliant. Their last album, Habeas Corpus, flopped. Which sucks because it's a fantastic album!

Just a great band! They got a very unique style, I think. Anyway, they're supposed to have a new album out at some point, so I went a-checking tonight. Found out that they're gonna put out a supposed triple album later this year. If true—weeeeeeeeee!

I guess they recorded a ton of material in Jamaica, so back in May they put out a free digital album call Malocchio. It features seven tunes "influenced by the sounds of Afrobeat and psychedelic-era Nigerian dub." Sounds dreadful, but it's actually not bad so far (listening now). It's got their swagger, you know.

Anyway, you can download it for free here:

http://soundcloud.com/living-things/sets/living-things-malocchio

Check them out!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 3:30 am

Looks like they made a video for one of those tunes, too.

It's a great song!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 10:00 am

I didn't care much for the first tune. Too "electronic-y" sounding. Not enough guitar or something. Sounds like too many synths. I imagine this song playing at a rager with lotsa sweaty kids waving glow sticks and grinding their teeth. Pass

The 2nd tune though was pretty damn cool. Depressing music with an equally creepy video. Very nice.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 12:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I didn't care much for the first tune. Too "electronic-y" sounding. Not enough guitar or something. Sounds like too many synths. I imagine this song playing at a rager with lotsa sweaty kids waving glow sticks and grinding their teeth. Pass

The 2nd tune though was pretty damn cool. Depressing music with an equally creepy video. Very nice.
Yeah, it has a bit of programming in that tune, but that's not really representative of the band. They just experiment sometimes. Nor is the second song representative of them since that album is intentionally an experiment, I think.

This is typically their style:

And yeah, I imagine he's a Jagger fan. lol!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 3:49 pm

Yeah,I dig the second two songs alot more than the first two.Haha
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 6:52 pm

New tune from their upcoming EP:

http://www.spin.com/articles/first-spin-living-things-fake-it-baby-fake-it-la-dame-nature

Very 50s punky. I dig it. And I'm assuming this song will be on the upcoming EP as well:

Love the song, but that video is bizarre. The uncensored version is messed up. There's no man-junk shown, but simulated car sex doesn't really do it for me. Haha.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Eyesore wrote:
New tune from their upcoming EP:

http://www.spin.com/articles/first-spin-living-things-fake-it-baby-fake-it-la-dame-nature

Very 50s punky. I dig it. And I'm assuming this song will be on the upcoming EP as well:

Love the song, but that video is bizarre. The uncensored version is messed up. There's no man-junk shown, but simulated car sex doesn't really do it for me. Haha.

That whole video didn't do it for me. What's that music supposed to be? It sounds to me like it's trying to be reggae or ska but doesn't really fully commit to either style so it just boringly hums along. It's not terrible but I found that very snooze-inducing.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 7:03 pm

I don't know. They apparently went to Jamaica recently and recorded a bunch of stuff, so that's why a reggae style has crept into some of their newer tunes. I don't know. I dig it. I like that it's not fully one thing, you know. I dig ska, but never could really get into reggae. But I don't mind it in small doses.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I don't know. They apparently went to Jamaica recently and recorded a bunch of stuff, so that's why a reggae style has crept into some of their newer tunes. I don't know. I dig it. I like that it's not fully one thing, you know. I dig ska, but never could really get into reggae. But I don't mind it in small doses.

I feel the same way about ska and reggae; I dig a lot of ska but I find reggae too repetitive and boring. I know you like eclectic music (as do I) but the music in that vid just didn't really do much for me. Maybe I should click on some of the previous vids in this thread?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 7:16 pm

You'd probably dig most of their work.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 7:21 pm

New artsy-fartsy video:

Music starts at about 1:35.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 10:55 pm

So way back in like 2010, these guys announced that they were planning to release a triple album and re-released their early demos. I was excited because they're one of my favorite bands. But then...they vanished. Poof! Gone. Webpages disappeared, and those that didn't went dormant.

When Trump was elected, someone posted to the band's Facebook page that new music was coming. That's been repeated a few times since, but nothing's materialized.

The whole thing is bizarre. Even more bizarre, this is now the lead singer, going by his real name and playing some of the worst shit I've ever heard in my life.

I can't wrap my head around it. So fucking weird. I'm almost afraid to hear new Living Things music at this point. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Living Things Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living Things   Living Things Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Living Things
Page 1 of 1