Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1

Go down 
+11
stormspell
Sutekh
Lurideath
nevermore
kmorg
GrandNational
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
15 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Empty
PostSubject: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 2:33 pm

I am looking forward to see this personally:

Metal Evolution Launches on 11/11/11 on VH1 Classic

by Admin on Jul.24, 2011, under Banger Films, Metal Evolution

VH1 broke the news on the much anticipated Metal Evolution TV series earlier this month. The series will launch onto the small screen on November 11, 2011 at 10pm ET/PT following 11 Days of Metal related videos on VH1 Classic leading up to the premiere of Metal Evolution.

Here is a sample of the press release:

VH1 Classic proclaims 11-11-11 as “National Metal Day,” a day-long celebration of all things metal. The metal bonanza begins November 1, 2011 with metal-focused concerts, specials, movies and videos each night leading up to grand finale on 11-11-11. On “National Metal Day” catch the highly anticipated premiere of Banger Films’ groundbreaking documentary series, “Metal Evolution” at 10 PM ET/PT.

“Metal Evolution” is an 11-episode docu-series produced by Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn of Banger Films and is based on the groundbreaking “Heavy Metal Family Tree.” The “Heavy Metal Family Tree” is a 26 sub-genre genealogical chart which reveals the vast complex progeny of heavy metal – from Early Metal and Shock Rock to Thrash, from Progressive Metal to Grunge and Nu Metal. Using the chart as his road map, host/producer and metalhead turned anthropologist Dunn, crisscrosses the globe exploring the vast history of heavy metal across its 40+ year history and beyond. From bars and back alleys to the biggest open air festivals, Dunn will visit the pioneers of British and American hard rock who laid metal’s sonic foundation, as well as the current leaders of contemporary metal. Whether you love metal, documentaries or just great stories, “Metal Evolution” will be the ultimate examination into the history of Heavy Metal music.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 2:35 pm

This sounds pretty interesting.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Here is the rest of the press release:

NEW YORK, July 11, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- VH1 Classic proclaims 11-11-11 as "National Metal Day," a day-long celebration of all things metal. The metal bonanza begins November 1, 2011 with metal-focused concerts, specials, movies and videos each night leading up to grand finale on 11-11-11. On "National Metal Day" catch the highly anticipated premiere of Banger Films' groundbreaking documentary series, "Metal Evolution" at 10 PM ET/PT.

"Nobody is more metal than VH1 Classic," said Ben Zurier, EVP Programming Strategy, VH1 & VH1 Classic. "Celebrating National Metal Day on 11-11-11 gives us a platform to honor metal artists, and take metal music one step further than anybody has before. We've lined up a tremendous collection of concerts, movies and specials, highlighted by the brand new series "Metal Evolution" – the ultimate history of metal and the larger-than-life characters who have written it."

Kicking off the countdown to "National Metal Day," VH1 Classic will program "The 11 Days of Metal" beginning November 1, 2011, featuring one of metal's most influential artists each night. Artists including Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica, Lemmy, Motley Crue and more will be showcased in various VH1 Classic concerts and specials. Programming details will be announced in the coming months.

On "National Metal Day," 11-11-11, metal maniacs can catch the premiere of "Behind The Music Remastered: Megadeth" at 9 PM ET/PT followed by the premiere of Banger Films' (Metal: A Headbangers Journey, Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage) groundbreaking documentary series "Metal Evolution" at 10 pm ET/PT on VH1 Classic. The premiere episode of "Metal Evolution" will focus on Pre-Metal, the earliest sounds of metal that can be heard in the music of Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Jimi Hendrix. Subsequent episodes of the series will explore genres ranging from British Heavy Metal to Glam Metal to Thrash Metal, and artists from Iron Maiden to KISS to Metallica and more. New episodes of "Metal Evolution" will premiere every Friday night at 10pm on VH1 Classic.

"Metal Evolution" is an 11-episode docu-series produced by Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn of Banger Films and is based on the groundbreaking "Heavy Metal Family Tree." The "Heavy Metal Family Tree" is a 26 sub-genre genealogical chart which reveals the vast complex progeny of heavy metal – from Early Metal and Shock Rock to Thrash, from Progressive Metal to Grunge and Nu Metal. Using the chart as his road map, host/producer and metalhead turned anthropologist Dunn, crisscrosses the globe exploring the vast history of heavy metal across its 40+ year history and beyond. From bars and back alleys to the biggest open air festivals, Dunn will visit the pioneers of British and American hard rock who laid metal's sonic foundation, as well as the current leaders of contemporary metal. Whether you love metal, documentaries or just great stories, "Metal Evolution" will be the ultimate examination into the history of Heavy Metal music.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Sam Dunn is having one hell of a year! This sounds awesome, plus he directed the upcoming Rush concert film, and of course the one I want to see most, the next Iron Maiden concert film!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:46 pm

I'll watch it...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Quote :
"Nobody is more metal than VH1 Classic," said Ben Zurier, EVP Programming Strategy, VH1 & VH1 Classic.

That made me laugh. Way to toot you own horn, buddy. Hey, if the vp of programming said it, it must be true! Razz

Anyway, sounds cool. I'm sure I'll be tuned in for it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 3:48 pm

I'll definitely check this one out. Sam Dunn is a cool cat.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 4:23 am

I don't have VH1. Hope they release the series on DVD.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 3:12 pm

I'll be watching.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 6:56 pm

I think he can do without the grunge and unmetal (nu-metal) crap in it but I will still watch it.
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Sounds really interesting. I've really enjoyed all his stuff so far, so I'm sure the quality will continue!
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 1:15 am

I wish someone will do a documentary which will include other than Metallica, Judas, Maiden, Motley Crue, Ratt, and WASP...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 8:51 am

If anyone is interested 'Metal Evolution' is now out on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Evolution-Discs-Sam-Dunn/dp/B007GFYC0Q

But it is DVR discs-DVD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com.

Why they are releasing it this way I do not know, and so far it is an Amazon exclusive, I personally am going to hold out til they officially release it on DVD to the general public
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:01 am

manny wrote:

But it is DVR discs-DVD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com.

Why they are releasing it this way I do not know, and so far it is an Amazon exclusive, I personally am going to hold out til they officially release it on DVD to the general public

Because they recognize that the audience is small and know that not many people are going to be interested in it to pay in advance for a minimum pressing. You're going to see a lot of stuff going this route in the future.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:14 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

Because they recognize that the audience is small and know that not many people are going to be interested in it to pay in advance for a minimum pressing. You're going to see a lot of stuff going this route in the future.

Yet, if they offered up extra footage of stuff edited that made a one disc episode into a two disc package. Perhaps the demographic would change, who knows ?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:18 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

That makes sense but there last two docs, 'Headbanger's Journey' and 'Global Metal' did very well, so I was bit surprised to see this release go this route, instead of wider release their previous docs
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:28 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

That makes sense but there last two docs, 'Headbanger's Journey' and 'Global Metal' did very well, so I was bit surprised to see this release go this route, instead of wider release their previous docs

But this is backwards. Those were released on DVD first, then aired in edited form on VH1 later.

Metal Evolution has been aired repeatedly on VH1 already...many people have already seen the episodes over and over. The audience is already smaller than other TV series, so when you add in that most of that audience has already seen it a few times (potentially), it only makes sense to do what they're doing.

I don't look for this to be commercially pressed...it'll stay on-demand.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:13 am

Shawn, it makes sense regarding this documentary series, I was hoping they would (hopefully still will) release a commercial pressing, with all the bells and whistles of bonus interviews, maybe unaired episodes etc
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:55 am

I'll pass. I have a DVD recorder so the next time VH1 Classic runs a marathon of "Metal Evolution" (which I believe they're doing this weekend), I'll just record the episodes I want.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Starting to see a lot of stuff being released this way on amazon. One of my all-time favorite movies Up The Creek just got the DVD-R treatment. Better than nothing I guess, but still quite pricey for a burned disc with no extras.

I would pay good money for an extended cut with bonus interviews of the Shock Rock episode. I don't think any one television program has entertained me in years more than that one did. Even the usual last 10 minute side-track the show always had was great. I would so watch a VH1 show with the Slipknot guys ridiculous philosophizing.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:37 pm

manny wrote:
Shawn, it makes sense regarding this documentary series, I was hoping they would (hopefully still will) release a commercial pressing, with all the bells and whistles of bonus interviews, maybe unaired episodes etc

If they really don't plan a bigger DVD release, perhaps they should consider a Kickstarter campaign to see how much interest there is an expanded edition...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Seeing these episodes once was good enough, very little here I would want to revisit.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:18 pm

S.D. wrote:
Seeing these episodes once was good enough, very little here I would want to revisit.

I agree. But I reckon he made episodes for Death Metal and Black Metal too, and those would be cool to see.

PostSubject: Re: Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1   Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Samm Dunn (Banger Films) New Doc on VH1
Page 1 of 1