Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition

Go down 
+11
MetalGuy71
exact33
ultmetal
Metal Misfit
manny
Shawn Of Fire
Troublezone
Gilbert
Temple of Blood
MEGATRON
BillRoxx
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:27 am

Quote :
I think my days of re-buying the same album are pretty much over. Most of the time I can't tell the difference anyway. It just sounds louder to me.

This is me...

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:39 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
I think my days of re-buying the same album are pretty much over. Most of the time I can't tell the difference anyway. It just sounds louder to me.

This is me...

It really depends on the album for me. I still have all my original Megadeth CDs. I am not interested in the remixed, re-recorded, remastered versions.

On the other hand, the new Deliverance - What a Joke (with the horrific cover art) sounds like a brand new album to me, compared to the original. Some albums just really benefit from remastering, some really don't.

I'd be surprised if someone who owned the original Ultimatum "Puppet of Destruction" didn't hear a big difference in the sound on the 2010 remaster. It's just so obviously improved.

As for a "cash grab", well, I can't speak for every band or label, but in the case of Ultimatum's Puppet of Destruction there was no "cash" to be "grabbed". I waited 10 years to get the rights back to that album so that I could get it properly mastered. I always hated the original mastering. So for me it was just about getting it right, no about making money

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:53 am

Whatever, we all know you light your cigars with $50 bills...

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 10:55 am

all these "DELUXE EDITIONS" that are flooding the market are really bogus from record label perspective. These albums really "shouldn't" be available in the States because they were on different record labels. They should be available everywhere "but" the States. But copyright is pretty much impossible to enforce and there's so little money to be made on this stuff now, it's probably not worth the effort.

Here are a couple more details about Deluxe Editions that may be of interest.

THIN LIZZY - the deluxe editions are not remastered at all. It's the exact same West German remastering from 1997 released in single disc import versions. they just added bonus material.

NEKTAR - the deluxe editions borrow the same 2004 mastering as the band's self-released versions.

so, these are really just "re-packaging" aimed at targeting a newer audience and geared to make us plop down the money for the same crap over and over and over.

That ship has sailed and I decided not to purchase a ticket.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:05 am

I still have my original Nektar CD and vinyls too.

Still would love to have the Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous Deluxe Edition for all the bonus live stuff.

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 am

Believe me, I'd love to purchase these for the bonus material, but I can't justify the purchase.

on the other hand, the first 3 Thin Lizzy albums were reissued recently and those are legitimate (different record label), I'll be picking those up for the improved sound (which I can verify) and additional bonus material.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 am

IMO, I think the labels (for any band) should just gather all the bonus material and release it as Rarities comps or box sets by itself...as opposed to tacking it onto old albums...

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 am

oh, they will, I'm sure we'll see at least 1 more re-release of everything before CDs finish their journey to rest alongside 8-tracks in history.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:12 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
IMO, I think the labels (for any band) should just gather all the bonus material and release it as Rarities comps or box sets by itself...as opposed to tacking it onto old albums...

Record labels need to listen to this man!!!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:14 am

Shawn D. wrote:
oh, they will, I'm sure we'll see at least 1 more re-release of everything before CDs finish their journey to rest alongside 8-tracks in history.

Again, I don't think CDs will entirely disappear the way 8-tracks and cassettes did...I think it'll stick around for the physical format, collector types. These people will always exist on some level...just not in the multi-platinum, mainstream world.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:16 am

Only time will tell. CDs have more in common with the demise of the 3.5 inch Floppy drive than with cassettes or 8-tracks.

obsolete digital storage

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:30 am

Shawn D. wrote:
Only time will tell. CDs have more in common with the demise of the 3.5 inch Floppy drive than with cassettes or 8-tracks.

obsolete digital storage

Right, but part of the reason 3.5" floppy's died was because of CD's...

Again, I believe there will always be a physical format for music (at least for the next several generations) on some level...out of rebellion, if nothing else. All these young, indie, non-mainstream artists still record split 7" records and put out CDs...partly as a giant middle finger to the mass-marketed, mainstream "music" industry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:37 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:

obsolete digital storage

Again, I believe there will always be a physical format for music (at least for the next several generations) on some level...out of rebellion, if nothing else. All these young, indie, non-mainstream artists still record split 7" records and put out CDs...partly as a giant middle finger to the mass-marketed, mainstream "music" industry.

and blank CDs have gone the way of the dinosaur because of blank DVDs, cheap external hard drives, blank blu-rays, cloud storage, etc.

a CD can hold 700mbs of data, that's a laughably small number compared to other formats currently available.

Plus a blu ray has about 200 times the resolution of your standard audio CD, because it can handle 24bit/192khz audio files and makes it cross-compatible with high definition video. It's the only digital physical format that really makes sense to me right now.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:42 am

I can tell you that working in the sports entertainment industry, we still use cd's and dvd's quite a bit, for either storage or transporting. While the music industry might be pushing away from it, the tv industry is still using the format quite a bit. Well, in my little world of it anyway.

I'm in agreement with Mr. Of Fire. The cd isn't going away anytime soon. Smaller usage, sure, but not going away completely. Until the industry physically stops mass producing them that is.

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:52 am

The music industry has no idea what direction to go in, that's why they are still messing around with every combination imaginable. Until they can all unite into a common direction, this fracturing will continue and their target market will continue to get as frustrated with the whole thing as I have become.

They've put alot of money into pushing blu-rays on people, that would be the next logical arena to explore, especially since blu ray players have no reverse-compatibility issues.

...steering this back on course...

Born Again. If you already own the 1997 Castle release, that might be good enough. If you don't own the album at all, get the Deluxe Edition.

If you're a "fan" like me, I'll wait until they locate the master tapes and do it correctly.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 11:55 am

Shawn D. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:

obsolete digital storage

and blank CDs have gone the way of the dinosaur because of blank DVDs, cheap external hard drives, blank blu-rays, cloud storage, etc.

a CD can hold 700mbs of data, that's a laughably small number compared to other formats currently available.

Plus a blu ray has about 200 times the resolution of your standard audio CD, because it can handle 24bit/192khz audio files and makes it cross-compatible with high definition video. It's the only digital physical format that really makes sense to me right now.

I get all that...but I'm not talking about that...I'm talking about audio CDs...physical format music. There will always be musicians somewhere who rebel against current trends, and if the current trend becomes "digital only" for the mainstream then the exact opposite will happen (and continue) in indie music. It's a form of rebellion...what rock and roll is all about (supposedly).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:02 pm

Right now here in Austin (and this is an "art town"), the CD racks are being replaced by LP racks in the main new/used music stores.

You can take in a used LP and a used CD to sell, the CD is essentially worthless unless they don't carry it, they will pay top dollar for the LPs.

The used CD racks are stuffed full of great deals but you can go back 2 weeks later and the majority are still there collecting dust. However, the LP stock turns over at lightning speed.

The younger generation are starting to appreciate that BIG fold out artwork and the collectable nature of rare vinyl. It feels more like you're buying something "tangible".

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Right now here in Austin (and this is an "art town"), the CD racks have been replaced by LP racks in the main new/used music stores.

You can take in a used LP and a used CD to sell, the CD is essentially worthless unless they don't carry it, they will pay top dollar for the LPs.

The used CD racks are stuffed full of great deals but you can go back 2 weeks later and the majority are still there collecting dust. However, the LP stock turns over at lightning speed.

The younger generation are starting to appreciate that BIG fold out artwork and the collectable nature of rare vinyl. It feels more like you're buying something "tangible".

That's still physical format (which is really the core of my point)...and not portable like CDs. But, whatever...it's just my opinion/speculation anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:06 pm

I never said anything about "physical format" going away, I said the compact disc has been technologically obsolete for at least a decade and IT will go away.

Anyway, nuff said, back to Sabbath.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:12 pm

So has anyone heard the remastered Born Again? Is it really all that improved?

BTW, speaking of remasters, I picked up the remastered Dirty Looks - In Your Face CD. It's actually the first time it's been officially available on CD. The remastering is HORRID! The cymbals and snare are so harsh and annoying, while the vocals have been buried a bit. I have a vinyl rip that sounds better.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:36 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I would buy that album as well. I would be all over a complete compilation of b-sides from Helloween, maiden, etc..

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:38 pm

exact33 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I would buy that album as well. I would be all over a complete compilation of b-sides from Helloween, maiden, etc..

Same here, I refuse to rebuy the same albums over and over again, if they released these bonus discs as individual discs instead of overpriced boxset special edition I would buy them.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:42 pm

manny wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Same here, I refuse to rebuy the same albums over and over again, if they released these bonus discs as individual discs instead of overpriced boxset special edition I would buy them.

A great example for me is the Sentenced coffin set - I really wanted parts of the package but it was just too expensive. If they had an individual cd - they would have a sale.

Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
The music industry has no idea what direction to go in, that's why they are still messing around with every combination imaginable. Until they can all unite into a common direction, this fracturing will continue and their target market will continue to get as frustrated with the whole thing as I have become.

They've put alot of money into pushing blu-rays on people, that would be the next logical arena to explore, especially since blu ray players have no reverse-compatibility issues.

Blu ray has been a failure. Regardless of its advantages, the format has not caught on and will not catch on.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:

Blu ray has been a failure. Regardless of its advantages, the format has not caught on and will not catch on.

It's just too expensive. We've just stuck with DVDs and they work perfectly fine IMO.

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition   Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - Born Again 2011 Deluxe Edition
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next