Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Strange Promotional Items.

Go down 
+6
Todd Jaymz
kmorg
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
mc666
Smindas
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Strange Promotional Items. Empty
PostSubject: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 9:42 am

I was wondering what is the strangest item associated to an album release that you've ever seen ? yes we've all heard about the hammerfall condoms but does anything else come to mind for anyone ?

Here's one I have :

Strange Promotional Items. IMGP2438-2

It's a standard size bottle of Merlot wine, which was released as part of the promotion for the upcoming Grave Digger album "The Last Supper"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 10:13 am

Wine? Haha. That's weird. Devin Townsend sent his first demo out to labels taped to a dirty pair of his underwear. Haha. Never seen it, though.

All my promo stuff is packed away right now. Most of my CD collection is! So I'll have to think about this.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 10:18 am

The best thing about that underwear thing is it actually got Steve Vai to hire Devin.

Anyway, unfortunately I'm completely lacking in promo stuff. That Gravedigger wine is fantastic though.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 10:59 am

Eyesore wrote:
Devin Townsend sent his first demo out to labels taped to a dirty pair of his underwear.
hmmm... i wonder if Doro ever did that with her underwear? Strange Promotional Items. 19976

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 11:32 am

Thought of one! I have masks of all these guys:

Strange Promotional Items. 112071-music-resized200

They're just cardboard cutouts with elastic straps.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 11:32 am

What a cool bottle of wine!!

I always thought is was kind of odd and in a bit of bad taste that the AC/DC Bonfire box set, which was paying tribute to a man that died from a night of heavy drinking, would include a beer bottle opener. Of course I quickly got over it and have been using the opener myself for years now.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 12:20 pm

I don't own this, but thought it was cool:
Strange Promotional Items. 1442_1_b
Anvil hockey puck

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 12:53 pm

You know, when this topic came up, my mind went blank. I've heard of so many cool promo items, but right noe, all I can think of is coffee mugs and lighters! :lol

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 4:58 pm

A few years ago when Rhino Records put out the double-disc Symptom of the Universe Sabbath set, they gave us a buncha copies to hand out as prizes for a contest they wanted our hockey teams to participate in. They took a rubber bat and stapled it to a hockey puck and then wanted us to select fans, bring them down to the ice and let them shoot the bat-pucks towards the net from the blue-line.

Our legal department didn't want fans on the ice, so we just scrapped the game and handed the cd's out to "lucky rows". I still have a bat-puck sitting next to my office computer though.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 7:09 pm

There was a band in the late 80's called the Yeastie Girls (obviously a slam of the Beastie Boys). We purchased their first demo and with it they sent a used Yeastie Girls tampon. (Of course it wasn't really used, it came in a bag and had been soaked in red jelly. Pretty nasty regardless.)

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2007 7:36 pm

ultmetal wrote:
There was a band in the late 80's called the Yeastie Girls (obviously a slam of the Beastie Boys). We purchased their first demo and with it they sent a used Yeastie Girls tampon. (Of course it wasn't really used, it came in a bag and had been soaked in red jelly. Pretty nasty regardless.)
at least you had jelly for your toast that morning. Cool

Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 1:17 pm

I have lots a stuff haha, everything from real maggots, to railroad spikes, to condoms, to a snowboard, skate board, lots of t shirts. Oh a collender from Spinal Tap, I'll have to look for some others. Also when Alice In Chains/Dirt came out, they shipped it in a bag of potting soil-TJ
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 3:39 pm

Two promotional items I heard about back in the day that struck me funny:

When the punk band NOFX released their "Heavy Petting Zoo" album (which pictured a guy making out with a sheep on the front cover), they sent critics an inflatable sheep with a working, er...orifice in the rear. (Thankfully I did not receive this particular item, but the critic for the Aquarian Weekly in New Jersey wrote a column about how it grossed out the entire office, hahaha!)

I also read somewhere years ago that when Sacred Reich were briefly signed to the Disney-owned Hollywood Records label (I forget which album they released through them), they sent out promotional Sacred Reich water bongs (a tip to the fact that Sacred Reich were big time into weed)... but when the higher-ups at Disney found out about it, they immediately recalled them (a family friendly company like Disney didn't want their name attached to anything having to do with pot smoking!) and the guy in charge of the promotions dept. at Hollywood Records apparently lost his job over it... I'm told the few that made it into circulation are pretty hot collectibles nowadays
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 4:02 pm

The best was the METAL CHURCH neckbrace!
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 4:16 pm

Strange Promotional Items. Lutkomoja
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 4:20 pm

What is that?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 7:35 pm

I have a coupla bottles of Motley Crue's soda they were pimping around the time of Generation Swine. I'm not much of a soda drinker, but I did drink the blue one. Terrible. And it turned my poo BLUE. It came in red too, but I ain't drinking that one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 7:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I have a coupla bottles of Motley Crue's soda they were pimping around the time of Generation Swine. I'm not much of a soda drinker, but I did drink the blue one. Terrible. And it turned my poo BLUE. It came in red too, but I ain't drinking that one.

lol! Well rest assured the Grave Digger Wine will never be opened by me for years, It may taste real good in 50 or so years, manybe on my deathbed, it's probably pure piss anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Danzig chicken foot necklage, literally a real dried chicken foot attached to a cord.

Also the Jane's Addiction "been caught stealing" hand cuffs seemed a bit odd to me.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 5:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:
What is that?

I don't know, but in letter it's written, that this is a sound carrier with one track. It was sent from a band member to some radio editor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 6:54 pm

Locky wrote:
I have a coupla bottles of Motley Crue's soda they were pimping around the time of Generation Swine. I'm not much of a soda drinker, but I did drink the blue one. Terrible. And it turned my poo BLUE. It came in red too, but I ain't drinking that one
Grape soda will turn your poo green. Learned that in Korea when my roommate went a bit silly on a grape soda sale at the commisary. Haha. And I mean, this turns your poo a bright green, doesn't look natural. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 8:30 pm

I remember having an IV bag o' fake blood that came with CARCASS' "heartwork" cd when I worked at a record store at the tim....came with a weird hanging mobile type thing that was a smurfette to assemble took me like 2 hours to figure out....

That's the one that sticks out in my memory....

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2007 10:07 am

Eyesore wrote:
Locky wrote:
I have a coupla bottles of Motley Crue's soda they were pimping around the time of Generation Swine. I'm not much of a soda drinker, but I did drink the blue one. Terrible. And it turned my poo BLUE. It came in red too, but I ain't drinking that one
Grape soda will turn your poo green. Learned that in Korea when my roommate went a bit silly on a grape soda sale at the commisary. Haha. And I mean, this turns your poo a bright green, doesn't look natural. Haha.

Black licorice will do that too (bright green). It only took one bottle of the Motely Brue and the next day...bright blue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange Promotional Items.   Strange Promotional Items. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strange Promotional Items.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: