Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music

Go down 
+19
troublemagnet
holydiver97595
leafinator
Getizzyback
JBall_Z
snooloui
tohostudios
manny
Fat Freddy
Addy
Shawn Of Fire
Smindas
stormspell
kethdredd
exact33
Coram Deo
SpectreFate
mc666
Eyesore
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Empty
PostSubject: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Posting this here because I think it'll be an interesting discussion.

http://www.cultofmac.com/how-steve-jobs-just-monetized-pirated-music-wwdc-2011-reaction/99042

So what about all my original songs that I have on my PC? What about other musicians that have unreleased music on their PC, in their iTunes folders?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 6:35 pm

so if i read that right, it will only sync with the itunes folder, right? other files stored elsewhere won't be uploaded?

SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Glad that I don't use iTunes and never will.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Guys, this is a service you have to sign up for and pay a subscription fee. It's no different than the model Amazon is using right now.

If you don't sign up for the service, then none of these people care what's on your computer.

This technology has existed for several years, the only difference is that Amazon and now iTunes have figured out a way to charge money for the streaming service.

Again, this is not some communist plot to figure out how many songs you stole from Pirate Bay.

Everyone, put your tin foil hats away.
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:00 pm

I've only bought two or three albums from itunes, ones I couldn't find else where.....Most of my music isn't in my itunes folder, just cd's that I burn in to it..I won't be signing up for the service or using it...So let me get this straight?? I don't need my tin foil hat?? Cuz I kinda like it....
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:17 pm

detuned wrote:
Guys, this is a service you have to sign up for and pay a subscription fee. It's no different than the model Amazon is using right now.

If you don't sign up for the service, then none of these people care what's on your computer.

This technology has existed for several years, the only difference is that Amazon and now iTunes have figured out a way to charge money for the streaming service.

Again, this is not some communist plot to figure out how many songs you stole from Pirate Bay.

but we really enjoy the conspiracy theories!!

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:18 pm

mc666 wrote:
so if i read that right, it will only sync with the itunes folder, right? other files stored elsewhere won't be uploaded?
As far as I can tell, yeah. I use iTunes, but I have an external drive. Hopefully it doesn't consider that the "iTunes folder."
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:19 pm

detuned wrote:

Um...did we go there? surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:25 pm

this has nothing to do with "where" you purchase a song, it's a really simple idea, geared for portability.

1. the Amazon Cloud system or the iTunes sytem (whichever you want to pay for) scans your music library.
2. Both Amazon and iTunes have millions of songs on their servers.
3. Let's say you have Slayer - Reign In Blood on your computer (for an example)
4. Amazon/iTunes will see "hey, he's got Reign In Blood", so we'll make that available for him online, to stream from anywhere, doesn't have to be at his computer to listen to Reign In Blood...
5. This process is repeated for all your music files. The system doesn't give a rat's ass whether you bought the album from iTunes, ripped it from a CD, downloaded it from a blog or dubbed it from a cassette. It assumes if it's on the computer, you own it.
6. Whatever albums it matches, you can play online.

Then 60% of the monthly subscription fee you pay for the service, will be given to the labels to help recoup costs for songs that people "really shouldn't have".

It's NOT going to report to anyone what songs you have.
It's NOT going to send you a bill.
It's NOT going to laugh at your terrible musical tastes.

It's simply going to offer you the ability to play your music anywhere in the world where you have access to an internet connection.

If you don't pay the fee, it's not going to do ANYTHING.

So, before people start panicking and deleting iTunes and getting all goofy thinking Big Brother is moving into the guest bedroom....think about it.

If you don't pay for Netflix streaming service....you don't visit the website and try to watch movies. Same concept.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:26 pm

No, we didn't go there, but I wanted to make sure we DIDN'T NEED to go there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:27 pm

P.S. - It doesn't UPLOAD anything. The files already exist on their servers, it doesn't touch the files on your computer at all.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:28 pm

detuned wrote:

lol!

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 8:19 pm

detuned wrote:

who said anything about communist plots & tin foil hats? i merely asked if it was going to sync from it's usual itunes folder & not any/all music files on the hard drive. this is something i would probably use at only $25 a year, but i have tons of my own original recordings in my music folder that i wouldn't want to share.

kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 8:30 pm

You are not exactly correct.

For the Amazon cloud service, you upload all your tunes to their server, any music you buy from Amazon automagically appears in your cloud.

For the Icloud service, your tunes are scanned, any music that exists on your hard drive that Apple has signed deals with the music labels automagically appears in your cloud (ie no uploading), tunes it doesn't recognize or they don't have deals with the labels, has to be uploaded.

I've been using the Amazon cloud for a few months now, it was pretty cool to be able to stream music from my cloud over my phone on a friends stereo at a party. The major disadvantage for Amazon is that you have to upload ALL your music which can take days, it does it all in the background though, so its not too bad.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 9:20 pm

kethdredd wrote:

For the Icloud service, your tunes are scanned, any music that exists on your hard drive that Apple has signed deals with the music labels automagically appears in your cloud (ie no uploading), tunes it doesn't recognize or they don't have deals with the labels, has to be uploaded.
sweet, that works for me.

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 9:53 pm

I evidently need a vacation.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 pm

detuned wrote:
You kinda went off. I'm afraid to reply now. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm not good with humans right now, I need to go to Antarctica for 6 months or so.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 pm

detuned wrote:
I'm not good with humans right now, I need to go to Antarctica for 6 months or so.
lol!

Understood.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 12:00 am

Eyesore wrote:
So what about all my original songs that I have on my PC?

Well, you can sign them with a publisher, then they'll collect 10% from iTurds and cut you a small protion (after you pester them for an year or two) Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 12:18 am

detuned wrote:
this has nothing to do with "where" you purchase a song, it's a really simple idea, geared for portability.

1. the Amazon Cloud system or the iTunes sytem (whichever you want to pay for) scans your music library.
2. Both Amazon and iTunes have millions of songs on their servers.
3. Let's say you have Slayer - Reign In Blood on your computer (for an example)
4. Amazon/iTunes will see "hey, he's got Reign In Blood", so we'll make that available for him online, to stream from anywhere, doesn't have to be at his computer to listen to Reign In Blood...
5. This process is repeated for all your music files. The system doesn't give a rat's ass whether you bought the album from iTunes, ripped it from a CD, downloaded it from a blog or dubbed it from a cassette. It assumes if it's on the computer, you own it.
6. Whatever albums it matches, you can play online.

Then 60% of the monthly subscription fee you pay for the service, will be given to the labels to help recoup costs for songs that people "really shouldn't have".

It's NOT going to report to anyone what songs you have.
It's NOT going to send you a bill.

It's simply going to offer you the ability to play your music anywhere in the world where you have access to an internet connection.

If you don't pay the fee, it's not going to do ANYTHING.

So, before people start panicking and deleting iTunes and getting all goofy thinking Big Brother is moving into the guest bedroom....think about it.

If you don't pay for Netflix streaming service....you don't visit the website and try to watch movies. Same concept.

This is all good and in awesome "everyone wins" communistic fashion, but as eyesore pointed out there is a loophole in the concept which essentially could rip off and exploit independent labels and artists.

Like us for example - we are strictly a tangible label not dealing with digital products, and some of our artists are independent not interested in publishing their songs through corporate publisher. So when someone buys such release of ours and puts it in their iTune folder, essentially someone else may end up paying to listen to it, while nor we or the band will be getting anything back.

Not that I really care to be honest, but I'd rather see our releases posted on a blog-spot or pirates bay shared for free, than iTunes or whoever making cash from it when fans are left thinking they're supporting the bands.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 5:40 am

Surely in some ways though, there's the potential for this to lead to more piracy and early release leaks (although, the same could be said of Amazon et al's service)? I understand that the iCloud is only going to upload stuff that it doesn't already have on the iTunes server, but what if you're one of those lucky folk privy to pre-release promo CDs? Say you've ripped a couple to your iTunes and you have the iCloud set up and you absent-mindedly let it upload your preview copies of new albums. Would anyone else be able to access them?

Now that I think about it, probably not. Still, there might be a slight risk there.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 am

I think MP3s/iPods are as far as I am going in the evolution of technology. This whole cloud thing doesn't sound the least bit interesting to me. I'll get off here, thanks....

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 8:13 am

detuned wrote:

You and me both
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 8:48 am

I honestly don't understand a thing that's been talked about in this thread, but it doesn't sound like anything I need to worry about anyway. I have iTunes on my computer but I rarely use it, I don't own an iPod, and I've never heard of this "Cloud" business.

Sometimes I think I'm better off remaining a dinosaur.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music   How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next