Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami

Go down 
+12
bassman
Troublezone
tohostudios
exact33
nevermore
metalinmyveins
Stender
thejokeriv
Joe
Fat Freddy
chewie
ultmetal
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Empty
PostSubject: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 10:39 am

Anyone following the devastating news?

Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami 031111_firstwave_20110311_090557

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 10:50 am

Yeah, I saw that live last night when I was watching the news. I lived in San Jose when the Loma Prieta Quake hit in 1989(that was only a few seconds, I heard this was a few minutes with aftershocks that were in the 6-7 magnitude). That tsunami was horrible to watch...... knowing people and cars couldn't escape.

Last edited by chewie on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 10:54 am

Yeah, I was up early this AM (5:15) cuz our son's school called us to say they'd be closed today due to heavy rains and flooding in our area. I turned on the TV, figuring there was no point in going back to sleep, and saw what was going on. Insane.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Was just headed to bed last night when I turned on the news and saw this. Crazy. The waves made it here about an hour ago, but nothing to cause alarm. They had our beaches and some highways closed.

Like Chewie, I was here for the Loma Prieta quake in '89. Quite the rattler, and that doesn't even compare to this.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Crazy!!!! I have a few friends in the Iron Maiden Fan Club that are in Japan to see Maiden this weekend..... they cancelled the first show and don't know about the second yet
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:14 pm

My thoughts and prayers definitely go out to those affected.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:19 pm

I didnt pass out until after 4 this morning because the whole westcoast was on alert...my parents back door is like a 3 minute walk to the beach. Tsunami siren was going off literally all night. I think we ended up getting like a 6-9 ft. surge. Everythings cool here though, cant imagine what a 8.9 earthquake felt like. Sad
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Events like this put one's own life in perspective. My heart goes out to all those killed or injured in this terrible tragedy. In a related note, I was reading on Yahoo, how one random astrologer yesterday predicted horrible catastrophic activities for this year, based on the all the solar flare activity and the closer proximity of the moon in relation to the earth. Pretty scary stuff....
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:45 pm

oh sh!t, looks like another smaller quake just happened in japan again within the past couple hours.

Last edited by Stender on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25871

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 4:43 pm

I've been watching off and on. Some of the footage is so devastating. It's terrible to see.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Unforunately, don't understand Japanese. The footage is horrible.

Video streaming by Ustream
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 6:30 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Events like this put one's own life in perspective. My heart goes out to all those killed or injured in this terrible tragedy.

I couldnt say it any better.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 6:48 pm

The pictures are simply unbelievable.

And the after effects just keep getting worse. Now the area around that damaged nuclear plant is testing at 1000x the normal radioactive levels. They've evacuated everyone within a 30km radius.

I really can't even wrap my mind around the extent of the devastation.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Yeah it's terrible... It doesn't help that they're on a small overpopulated island surrounded by a earthquake prone ocean floor.

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 9:23 pm

This new Tsunami reminded me of the one back in 2004 in Indonesia... That one was a 9.2!

The 8.9 that just happened caused just as much devastaion if not more because of the dense population and modern industrial buildings.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 10:06 pm

It's terrible to see all the boats and other vehicles just being tossed around in the water, buildings burning, people in distress. Prayers go out for the people of Japan.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 6:38 am

I've got quite close family in Tokyo. They're all fine, but apparently it's bedlam there. Everyone's stocking up on supplies and fearing for the worst as aftershocks keep happening.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:30 am

Smindas wrote:
I've got quite close family in Tokyo. They're all fine, but apparently it's bedlam there. Everyone's stocking up on supplies and fearing for the worst as aftershocks keep happening.

Surrounded by water on all sides must suck in this situation.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 3:43 pm

the nuclear issues are really frightening...

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 2:44 pm

Man, the photos of the devastation are amazing.

Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Japan%20Quake%203-13%20Eleven

Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Japan9_20110314_141633

Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Japan%20Quake%203-14%20Six

The loss of life is heartbreaking!

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Unbelievable destruction. It makes the WTC disaster seem trivial.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Those pics are incredible!!!

Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 4:56 am

It is fascinating to read and see how the Japanese behaves in this situation.
There are no riots, no robbing of stores, they stand in queues for help/food for hours without fights breaking out.
Amazing. That would never happen here in the west.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 9:54 am

Olafsto wrote:
It is fascinating to read and see how the Japanese behaves in this situation.
There are no riots, no robbing of stores, they stand in queues for help/food for hours without fights breaking out.
Amazing. That would never happen here in the west.....

I am amazed by this as well, it seems like we learn alot from our Eastern friends, my heart goes out to these people
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Seeing that the news is hardly showing how bad it really it, I can only imagine what they are going through. A good friend of mine has a friend who lives in Japan and was spared from the major damage. They said that ten miles north of them, a whole city is basically destroyed. Too crazy.

We should count the many blessings that we aren't going through that and also to pray for those enduring such hard, difficult, and unimaginable times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami   Wow! Japan being hit HARD by earthquake/tsunami Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next